Getting Into New Nintendo Franchises

The Shining Mew

A Mew that shines
Hi, peeps!

I would like to get into a new Nintendo franchise. I am already a fan of Pokémon (obviously), Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, and Pikmin, among others, but those are my big four. So far, the Earthbound/Mother series and Fire Emblem series both look fairly interesting to me. The only problem I have with Earthbound/Mother is that there is only one game in English, and the other two in Japanese are fairly outdated (I think.) So, Fire Emblem seems to be the more sensible choice, however I'm not really sure what the story is like. So, can you peeps explain both the pros and cons of both of these franchises? Also, if there are any other franchises you would like to recommend to me, please do! Any responses would be greatly appreciated. :)

Side question: is Splatoon fun? I'm thinking of buying it, but I'm not sure. :/

I don't really know Earthbound/Mother at all, but Fire Emblem is my favourite game franchise, so I'd be happy to help give you more information. :D

Fire Emblem's been going on for a long time, starting with the first game back on the NES. It wasn't until the 7th game in the series that FE started to be released outside of Japan, but since then almost all games have gotten international releases (with the exception of 12, a remake of 3, that was not brought out of Japan). Almost all of the games have their own story unconnected to other games in the series, which makes them easy to pick up and playing. Of the English released games, 10 is a direct sequel to 9, but even then, it can be played and enjoyed on its own and fully understood without playing the original.

Some of the older games can be difficult to find now, but I would suggest the most recent game, Fire Emblem: Awakening, as the best place to start. The story of FE:A follows Chrom, a prince of the country Ylisse, as he works with his tactician (a player avatar character with a default name of Robin) and small army of soldiers known as the Shepherds to protect his country from the threat of a war-mongering king from a neighboring country. As the game progresses, Chrom, Robin, and the Shepherds find themselves embroiled in an even deeper struggle than they imagined, and find themselves in a fight for the future of the world. As the most recent game, it is the easiest to acquire (still available in stores or can be downloaded directly from the e-shop to your 3DS), and also is the most player-friendly in terms of GUI, options, various difficulties, etc.

Where the game really shines is its characters and gameplay mechanics. You start will a small group and recruit more playable characters as you progress. Characters each have different strengths and weaknesses in battle, and can also talk to each other, form bonds, and even get married in some cases. The large cast gives you plenty of options for which characters you'd like to train and use in battle or for different circumstances, and also offers a strong replay value by playing the game over again on different difficulties while using different characters.

The basic gameplay is that of a turn-based strategy RPG. Each chapter is a single battle, and your characters must attack and defend against enemies to achieve a goal, usually killing the enemy commander or clearing an area of enemies. Different characters use a wide variety of weapons (various melee weapons such as swords, lances, and axes; ranged weapons like bows, and different forms of magic), and some characters even transform and attack in battle (such as Nowi, a character who appears to be a young girl but can transform into a powerful dragon and blast people with dragon fire). Some characters fight on foot, others right horses, pegusi, or wyverns. Characters also learn Skills that can give them an advantage in combat. Taking the role of a strategist, it is your responsibility to tell which units to do what to enable a victorious outcome.

Other games all have similarities in terms of base plot and gameplay. The MC is almost always a member of royalty who is in charge of a small army or group of soldiers that is fighting for a goal, recruiting new playable characters along the way, and eventually leading to a big showdown with the ultimate boss. The games' worlds are pretty much exclusively based on generic western fantasy style words, with armor and swords and magic and dragons, though each world has its own unique bits as well. The core gameplay is the same throughout the series, though some games feature new or different mechanics or changes that may be unique to that particular game.

If you play and enjoy FE:A, some of the other games in the series can be acquired, some easily, some with more difficulty. FE7 (known only as Fire Emblem outside of Japan) and The Sacred Stones (FE8) were originally GBA games but can be download on the WiiU virtual console. Path of Radiance (FE9, GameCube), Radiant Dawn (FE10, Wii), and Shadow Dragon (FE11, DS) can be acquired through old- and used-game resellers, but may be expensive due to low print runs and age. The next game in the series, Fire Emblem if, will be coming out for the 3DS sometime in 2016.

If you'd like more information on Fire Emblem, we actually have a thread dedicated to the series right here on PokéBeach. :)

I don't really know Earthbound/Mother at all, but Fire Emblem is my favourite game franchise, so I'd be happy to help give you more information. :D

Fire Emblem's been going on for a long time, starting with the first game back on the NES. It wasn't until the 7th game in the series that FE started to be released outside of Japan, but since then almost all games have gotten international releases (with the exception of 12, a remake of 3, that was not brought out of Japan). Almost all of the games have their own story unconnected to other games in the series, which makes them easy to pick up and playing. Of the English released games, 10 is a direct sequel to 9, but even then, it can be played and enjoyed on its own and fully understood without playing the original.

Some of the older games can be difficult to find now, but I would suggest the most recent game, Fire Emblem: Awakening, as the best place to start. The story of FE:A follows Chrom, a prince of the country Ylisse, as he works with his tactician (a player avatar character with a default name of Robin) and small army of soldiers known as the Shepherds to protect his country from the threat of a war-mongering king from a neighboring country. As the game progresses, Chrom, Robin, and the Shepherds find themselves embroiled in an even deeper struggle than they imagined, and find themselves in a fight for the future of the world. As the most recent game, it is the easiest to acquire (still available in stores or can be downloaded directly from the e-shop to your 3DS), and also is the most player-friendly in terms of GUI, options, various difficulties, etc.

Where the game really shines is its characters and gameplay mechanics. You start will a small group and recruit more playable characters as you progress. Characters each have different strengths and weaknesses in battle, and can also talk to each other, form bonds, and even get married in some cases. The large cast gives you plenty of options for which characters you'd like to train and use in battle or for different circumstances, and also offers a strong replay value by playing the game over again on different difficulties while using different characters.

The basic gameplay is that of a turn-based strategy RPG. Each chapter is a single battle, and your characters must attack and defend against enemies to achieve a goal, usually killing the enemy commander or clearing an area of enemies. Different characters use a wide variety of weapons (various melee weapons such as swords, lances, and axes; ranged weapons like bows, and different forms of magic), and some characters even transform and attack in battle (such as Nowi, a character who appears to be a young girl but can transform into a powerful dragon and blast people with dragon fire). Some characters fight on foot, others right horses, pegusi, or wyverns. Characters also learn Skills that can give them an advantage in combat. Taking the role of a strategist, it is your responsibility to tell which units to do what to enable a victorious outcome.

Other games all have similarities in terms of base plot and gameplay. The MC is almost always a member of royalty who is in charge of a small army or group of soldiers that is fighting for a goal, recruiting new playable characters along the way, and eventually leading to a big showdown with the ultimate boss. The games' worlds are pretty much exclusively based on generic western fantasy style words, with armor and swords and magic and dragons, though each world has its own unique bits as well. The core gameplay is the same throughout the series, though some games feature new or different mechanics or changes that may be unique to that particular game.

If you play and enjoy FE:A, some of the other games in the series can be acquired, some easily, some with more difficulty. FE7 (known only as Fire Emblem outside of Japan) and The Sacred Stones (FE8) were originally GBA games but can be download on the WiiU virtual console. Path of Radiance (FE9, GameCube), Radiant Dawn (FE10, Wii), and Shadow Dragon (FE11, DS) can be acquired through old- and used-game resellers, but may be expensive due to low print runs and age. The next game in the series, Fire Emblem if, will be coming out for the 3DS sometime in 2016.

If you'd like more information on Fire Emblem, we actually have a thread dedicated to the series right here on PokéBeach. :)

Wow, this was so helpful! Thanks!

I'm surprised to hear how some elements of this game sound similar to Pokémon Conquest, such as recruiting new characters. I think I would enjoy Fire Emblem. I am leaning towards going out and getting Fire Emblem: Awakening to try it out. Thanks again for the helpful information! :D

Have you played much Metroid? The franchise has incredible games in both the original exploration based side scrolling and first person adventure. If you haven't I suggest Super Metroid/Metroid Fusion and of course Metroid Prime, one of the greatest games ever conceived.

Splatoon is incredible too, I highly recommend it. The newest member of the Nintendo family.

No, actually, I haven't! I'll definitely look into it though.

I actually picked up a copy of Splatoon the other day, and I agree, it is incredible!

Are you just looking for Nintendo franchises, or to branch out in general?

Metroid definitely deserves a try. Metroid Prime Trilogy can be bought for $20 on the Wii U eShop, and it gets you two of the best games from the Gamecube's life. Super Metroid is also "mandatory" play, as it's nowhere near the same game as Prime despite being in the same series. Also cheap at $8 on the eShop.

So.
Metroid.
Cheap to jump into, shorter, contained, excellent experiences.

I'm mainly looking for Nintendo franchises, just because I can usually get into those the easiest.

Seems like Metroid is definitely worth a try. I'll look into it. :)

Back