Getting back into the game.

Metricus

Jukebox Hero
Hey, guys I've been out of the competitive arena for well over a year now and i've decided to get back in. While I'm rebuilding my team, can I get a quick briefing on any significant changes to the metagame over the past year?

Well it depends on which generation actually since in Gen V Salamence is not banned as well as numerous others.

@Zenith: I run Swampert.:p

Exactly, nobody runs Swampert.

:p

I just assumed Gen IV because they got out of the game for a while, and are getting "back in".

If you are playing Gen V =

* Salamence doesn't wreck havoc as much as those days
* Garchomp is unbanned
* Sandstorm teams are being overused as crap
* Politoed has drizzle now and Ninetails has drought as Dream World abilities.
* Ditto has become the no.1 revenge killer with it's Dream World ability.

Now see that's what I need to hear. Like I said I've been out for a while, so I don't know any of this stuff. I assume those rules are probably on Smogen, so I'll take a look.

Those aren't Smogon rules, those were actually from Game Freak, Pokemon TPCI, and Nintendo for the VGC 2011 event. During the event you can ONLY use Gen V Pokemon and Gen IV Pokemon with Dream World Abilities ONLY.

Any Pokemon migrated from Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver onto Black or White are
NOT ALLOWED for the event. I think they're trying to "freshen" up the metagame by getting rid of auto-weather teams unless you run Drizzle Politoed and Drought Ninetales since they're allowed in the event.

But yeah Smogon has their own set of rules for Gen V as I recall, from what I've heard they unbanned and banned alot of Uber tier Pokemon, other than what else was said earlier in this thread I don't know much else.

Back