Getting back into the game.

Metricus

Jukebox Hero
Hey, guys I've been out of the competitive arena for well over a year now and i've decided to get back in. While I'm rebuilding my team, can I get a quick briefing on any significant changes to the metagame over the past year?

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Well it depends on which generation actually since in Gen V Salamence is not banned as well as numerous others.

@Zenith: I run Swampert.:p

Zenith

||||
Exactly, nobody runs Swampert.

:p

I just assumed Gen IV because they got out of the game for a while, and are getting "back in".

HeroOfSinnoh

Dead
If you are playing Gen V =

* Salamence doesn't wreck havoc as much as those days
* Garchomp is unbanned
* Sandstorm teams are being overused as crap
* Politoed has drizzle now and Ninetails has drought as Dream World abilities.
* Ditto has become the no.1 revenge killer with it's Dream World ability.

Metricus

Jukebox Hero
Now see that's what I need to hear. Like I said I've been out for a while, so I don't know any of this stuff. I assume those rules are probably on Smogen, so I'll take a look.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Those aren't Smogon rules, those were actually from Game Freak, Pokemon TPCI, and Nintendo for the VGC 2011 event. During the event you can ONLY use Gen V Pokemon and Gen IV Pokemon with Dream World Abilities ONLY.

Any Pokemon migrated from Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver onto Black or White are
NOT ALLOWED for the event. I think they're trying to "freshen" up the metagame by getting rid of auto-weather teams unless you run Drizzle Politoed and Drought Ninetales since they're allowed in the event.

But yeah Smogon has their own set of rules for Gen V as I recall, from what I've heard they unbanned and banned alot of Uber tier Pokemon, other than what else was said earlier in this thread I don't know much else.