• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gengar Wobbuffet 1-2 Punch (Gengar EX / Wobbuffet / Dusknoir)

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:

• 2 Wobbuffet
    3 Gengar EX
    2 Duskull
    2 Dusknoir
    2 Sigilyph
    1 Dedenne
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 2 Startling Megaphone
    3 Dimension Valley
    3 Muscle Band
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    1 Sacred Ash
    1 Energy Retrieval
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Computer Search
    1 Switch
    1 Escape Rope
    2 Rare Candy
    3 Bicycle
    4 N
    4 Sycamore
    3 Skyla
    1 Colress
    1 Lysandre
    1 Professor's Letter
Energy:

• 4 Mystery Energy
    5 Psychic Energy

Strategy:

Gengar and Wobbuffet have good synergy. Gengar can hit for 90 with a muscle band and poison damage (or 80 vs virizion EX) and then switch into wobbuffet to shut down abilities. Wobbuffet can then follow up with a hit for 100 for a total of 190 (or 80+ 90 = 170 vs virizion EX). This is good since both are basics and gengar hits for 2 energy with dimension valley, and wobbuffet hits for 1 energy with dimension valley. This is the main part of the deck.

In addition, while wobbuffet is active, all abilities are shut down. That makes it a pretty decent pokemon to sit in the active spot. This is one of the reasons this deck doesn't run any attacking stage 1s and 2s, safeguard pokemon and pyroar can be hurt pretty bad by a wobbuffet sitting in the active spot and just firing hypnolasers and hitting with 1 energy for easy 2hkos on suicune and pyroar, and a ko on sigilyphs coming back into your turn for a free hit on a new active. If pyroar has 4 dmg counters on it, a wobbuffet is getting a ko with a muscle band which is pretty decent- 4 dmg counters would just be a night attack from gengar and a laser- or a psychic barrage from wobbuffet + a laser even. Gengar also bypasses pyroar with night attack, since its placing damage counters and not dealing damage.

Sigilyph is a good pokemon to switch back into from Gengar EX. It blocks EXs and can hit for 2 energy with dimension valley. That means it can do things like KO mewtwo EXs with 2 energy on them with a muscle band for 2 energy. Mystery Energy is not a great card but it allows for ohkos like this whilst also being able to retreat for free the next turn.Every card in teh deck apart from Dusknoir can retreat for free with Mystery Energy so its included here, because the deck needs to hit hard but being able to switch around between different walls (sigilyph, wobbuffet) is equally important. To add to this, 1 switch and 1 escape rope are good to get out of special conditions.

Dusknoir is strong in the deck and probably needs no explaining. Wobbuffet takes KOs from under 50% dmg with psychic barrage, so dmg can be conserved. For instance with 120 dmg on a virizion EX, I can afford to move 50 of that away in order to ko with psychic barrage and a muscle band and an energy. 2-2 line because he isnt necessary for the deck to work.

Dedenne is something of a last minute tech against Yveltal, being able to hit them for a ohko if they have 3 energy with muscle band and laser. This could be replaced with manectric EX in order to deal spread damage for dusknoir with overrun, but that doesn't get revenge kills as easily on yveltal with just psychic - plus dedenne has a good way to set up at the beginning with entrainment.

Everything else in the deck is pretty self explanatory. I went for dimensional valley + muscle bands instead of float stones because all the walls in this deck are also attackers and muscle bands reach some magic numbers- gengar hits for 70 and switches into wobbuffet which then hits for 100 with muscle band for 1 energy, etc etc. I thought mystery energy sucked when I first saw it but it seems to work here since muscle bands + free retreat cost is pretty nice, and the deck is all about switching. I tried to add a pretty large supporter line since I always fail in that department.

So yea, the deck is about using the strength of the speed of using dimension valley + basics, whilst being able to bypass safeguard pokemon and pyroar and chop them down with poison or wobbuffet/dusknoir. Gengar can even put dmg counters on pyroar with night attack, or poison it with dark corridor. Comparable to gengar/trevenant or donphan, but i think what makes this deck separate is its focus on basics while also offering more disruption since hypnotoxic lasers and wobbuffet/sigilyph can be a pain in the ass especially vs decks that expect to have their abilities at least until turn 2 or 3 vs garbodor (virizion genesect etc)

Carpey

Deck Experimenter
RE: Gengar Wobbuffet 1-2 Punch (Gengar/Wobbuffet/Dusknoir/not Trevenant)

I keep hearing people say "Gengar sux! 2 Attachments is too much! I like Steel better now!". It does suck, but only with Trevenant. ;D I like how you found a good way to use Wobbufett and kind of modeled this like a Donphan deck. Just without the benefits of Korrina, unfortunately. I think your Gengar deck can be extremely deadly with a little tweaking. Mainly your Yveltal tech. It's not good here. Yeah, Dedenne can hit magical numbers if YveltalEX has 3 energy attached, but does Yveltal even have a reason to attach more than two energy here? Yveltal+2 Energy+Muscle Band+Laser OHKOs GengarEX, and Sigilyph too if you throw in a Virbank. The only tech I can think of right now is Zekrom or MewtwoEX. MewtwoEX could be ok if you hit YveltalEX with one energy, then go for Psydrive/X Ball on the next turn.

Other thing is to consider dropping your 2 Rare Candy, which probably won't help you very often, for 2 Vs Seeker, which are so great that I tried to buy some reverse ones a couple days ago and they were already sold out. A Lysandre's Last Resort (screw the Engrish name, I'm calling it this!) Would be a good card to include in place of either a Startling Megaphone, or Energy Retrieval. Whichever you find to be least useful.

Suggestions:
-1 Dedenne, +1 Zekrom LTR or MewtwoEX
-2 Rare Candy, +2 Vs Seeker
-1 Energy Retrieval or Startling Megaphone, +1 Lysandre's Last Resort

This is as good as I can think of on paper. You'll have to test a little bit and maybe mess with the Supporter count.

Kecleon-X

124c41+
Have you considered running Substitute Robot? I run a similar deck to yours, and with that I have found that I quite like the synergy of Substitute with attack-and-switch combos such as this.

GhostMaster365

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Gengar Wobbuffet 1-2 Punch (Gengar/Wobbuffet/Dusknoir/not Trevenant)

If Pipotchi get's rid of his 2 rare candies then he can't use Dusknoir at all.

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
Yep i feel if i drop the candies dusknoir might be a little difficult to bring out :p

regarding dedenne, ill think about this a bit more. without DCE i wonder if zekrom can even set up to outrage from the active before being KOed. I also have 2 sigilyph which it cant hit and wobbuffet is koing yveltal ex for 1 energy without muscle band after gengar switches out with dark corridor (corridor + 20 from poison damage there and back, thats 80, then wobbuffet does 90). But dedenne can quite happily just be put on the bench and attack on the same turn for a surprise 120 to a yveltal ex with 2 energy even if its not a ko. Plus I like the first attack which lets me to put pokemon on the bench. I might try out zekrom today though.

As for Robot Substitute Id love to put a couple into the deck but I'm wondering where I can drop cards.

John Riches

Aspiring Trainer
hi there just thought u may like to know as it was a shock for me aswell but you cannto switch from gengar ex to sigilyph as its abilty says effect of attack from pokemon ex that includes your own so you cannot switch into it they may change this ruling but as it stands to this date it does not work but its still good to have put a new psycic energy on gengar free retreat into sigilyph and away you go

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
You can switch from Gengar EX to sigilyph becuase the Gengar EX is the card being effected by the switching effect of dark corridor.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Pipotchi said:
In addition, while wobbuffet is active, all abilities are shut down.
Not Garbotoxin.

How are you doing against Yveltal deck match-ups? Are you finding that 1 Dedenne (even with the Sacred Ash) is sufficient?

Luxiel

Aspiring Trainer
I just got myself a Phantom Forces booster box and bought the missing Gengar EX from Ebay. Once they arrive I will be readying up something like this list you made. I let you people know how it performs.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
I am thinking of playing a deck just like this. You should think of running Dusclops so Seismitoad doesn't shut you down from getting Dusknoir out. Robo substitute is a great card to make them use resources to get around it or waste a turn killing it.

Not sure how this would work but I wanted to try Manectric ex (maybe mega) with Gengar to destroy Yveltals. Just a thought. Will test that out when I can

Luxiel

Aspiring Trainer
Guess Manectric could work as a Tech in this deck... Still, we would need to make room for Lightining or Rainbow energy... How is your list going, Gengar Master?

pygohan

Lost Deck Builder
I haven't had any issues with Yveltal when playing gengar. I don't tech specially for it either. One thing you should look at are hammers which improve your match up across the board. You only need 2 enhanced hammers to really screw them up.

One thing to try is do 2/1 setup for valley/virbank. I find that setup more useful.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Luxiel said:
Guess Manectric could work as a Tech in this deck... Still, we would need to make room for Lightining or Rainbow energy... How is your list going, Gengar Master?
I will work on a deck list soon. But I am thinking rainbow energy because by the time you use the mega mantric to take out Yveltal, it doesn't really matter if you the rainbow gets discarded by an enhanced hammer because mega manectric did his job. If they don't kill it, then retreat for free and continue to use Gengar EX again.

Luxiel

Aspiring Trainer
Pygohan, your idea makes some sense... I might try it, I figure Virbank can make a huge difference against some match-ups.

Gengar master, I figured you suggested common Manectric EX, not the mega... Including the mega takes at least another 2 spaces (for the mega ifself and a Spirit link) that I rather spend on a Mega Gengar, giving my Gengar more HP and a gimmick attack that can win some matches easily.

Also, my listing included a Celebi EX, for when I need to use my mega gengar but might what to use Night Corridor.

Sigilyphs arrived today and Gengar has been posted... next week I will probably have it and let you people know how it plays.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Luxiel said:
Pygohan, your idea makes some sense... I might try it, I figure Virbank can make a huge difference against some match-ups.

Gengar master, I figured you suggested common Manectric EX, not the mega... Including the mega takes at least another 2 spaces (for the mega ifself and a Spirit link) that I rather spend on a Mega Gengar, giving my Gengar more HP and a gimmick attack that can win some matches easily.

Also, my listing included a Celebi EX, for when I need to use my mega gengar but might what to use Night Corridor.

Sigilyphs arrived today and Gengar has been posted... next week I will probably have it and let you people know how it plays.

Yea true Manectric EX is actually enough.

ProDeckMountain

Aspiring Trainer
This is how i test it. Did not play pokemon for 5 years. But try to get back in the game. Here is the list:

3 Gengar EX
3 Wobbuffet
2 Sigilyph
2 Duskull
1 Duskclops
2 Dusknoir
1 Dendenne

4 Professor Juniper
4 N
2 Colress
3 Dimension Valley
1 Energy Retrieval
2 Rare Candy
1 Lysandre
1 Computer Search
3 Ultra Ball
3 Muscle Band
3 Skyla
2 Vs Seeker
2 Startling Megaphone
1 Professor's Letter
2 Float Stones
3 Substitute Robot

4 Mystery Energie
5 Psychic Energy

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
pygohan said:
I haven't had any issues with Yveltal when playing gengar. I don't tech specially for it either. One thing you should look at are hammers which improve your match up across the board. You only need 2 enhanced hammers to really screw them up.
Interesting.

I'm finding I (running Yveltal EX deck) can just Lysandre a Gengar EX (D weakness is its Achilles' heel) to the active position and KO it without my opponent responding with a KO of my active Yveltal EX. Even the Enhanced Hammers can be "managed" by not attaching the DCE till needed to KO an opponent's Poke,

pygohan

Lost Deck Builder
What I tend to do is power up Sigilyph and use that to attack switching between that and wobbufett. It's not ideal but I target anything that would be able to get through the safeguard barrier. I would only drop one gengar at the most against this match up.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
pygohan said:
What I tend to do is power up Sigilyph and use that to attack switching between that and wobbufett. It's not ideal but I target anything that would be able to get through the safeguard barrier. I would only drop one gengar at the most against this match up.
And I counter your counter.... the chess match continues... :)