• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gengar-Vileplume Lock (MD-On) Master Division BR

Shadowwiidragon

My Real Amount of Posts: 2,992 (ignore profile one
I haven't posted a deck list in so long. So I decided to do one on Gengar and Vileplume because BR's is coming up and it is my first year in the Master Division. :(

Pokemon: 27

Gengar Lv.X 4-2-3-1
Vileplume UD 2-2-2
3- Spiritomb AR
2- Crobat G
1- Ditto LA (Counter other Gengar SF)
2- Uxie LA
1- Azelf LA
2- Unown Q

Supporters and Trainers: 23

3- Bebe's Search
3- Pokemon Collector
3- Cyrus's Conspiracy
1- Cynthia's Feelings
1- Looker's Investigation
1- Professor Oak's New Theory
1- Luxury Ball
1- Warp Point
3- Broken Time-Space
4- Rare Candy
1- Palmer's Contribution
1- Flower Shop Lady

Energy: 10

6- Psychic Energy
1- Warp Energy
3- Call Energy

Strategy: Get Vileplume out as soon as possible for trainer lock. Use Gengar SF hit the pixies and poltergeist the opponent's hand. Use Ditto LA against other decks using Gengar SF by using Shadow Room on the opponent's Gengar.

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

Like EVERYONE in our area is running Vilegar lol.

-2 Rare Candy (Spiritomb+Vileplume lock)
-1 Ditto (A Gengar counter isn't necessary)

+1 Haunter (Spiritomb evolution)
+2 Professor Oak's New Theory (Draw)

Why isn't Ditto needed for a Gengar counter, since there is going to be a lot of Vilegar in our area? I understand there is going to be a trainer lock, but wouldn't you need at least 3 Rare Candy, just to get a good start?

Thanks, Gliscor.

With a Spiritomb start, you won't be able to play Candy at all. Once Vileplume gets out, you have no Candy at all.

- With trainer lock you're going to want to play 4-3-3-1 Gengar, as you won't be able to Candy often, if ever. You're also going to want to run 4 Tomb as without them this deck loses. Without Poke Turns Crobats aren't really necessary, but I suppose they're not a bad play. Ditto is super uncessary. 2 Unown Q isn't necessarily terrible but Q starts are the worst so consider that. I'd also consider doing 3-1 Uxie, maybe 2-1. Smeargle is also an option here, especially if you decide to only play 3 tomb (you shouldn't).

- With no trainers you're going to need to max out on consistency. Do 4 Bebe's and 2 Cynthia's. I don't think the Looker's is needed here, nor is the Oak, and they should be replaced by 3 Copycat. Play either 1 or 2 Palmer's, no FSL. Play 4 BTS. There's a debate between people who think no trainers should be played and those who think candy/lux ball should. In testing we've seen that it doesn't really matter. Either way, cut the Warp Point as it's useless. Test, and if you like the Candy/Lux keep it, if not it can easily be dumped.

- Play 2-3 Warp, 4 Call, and 6 P.

Good luck!

I would go for the 4th Call Energy since a Tomb with a Call is pretty much your best bet for a start. Still, with 3 Spiritombs and 4 Gastlys this shouldn't be much of a problem.
I don't know how well a Ditto would run, I can see other decks than Gengar SF being more scary for your deck, in particular speed beatdown decks and DialgaChomp. So maybe it'd be wiser to tech for that.
If anything, I would go for the Uxie X. Uxie X can keep drawing for you to still be ahead of your opponent, since this deck tends to be slow. And you're playing Unown Q anyway, so no problems there.
I'm not a big fan or Cyrus in this kind of list since you have no room for Poketurns, but it's ok I guess. Those would be the first to make the cut though.

Thanks everyone. ^^^

A lot of people in my area are playing Gengar SF and Vileplume UD, so I decided to add in a Ditto tech just in case their deck is faster then my deck.

I play Viletomb as well and I found that Blaziken FB works very well in this deck. It helps with mirrors being able to OHKO their vileplumes and drag up benched spiritombs, plus it also helps counter Dialga G. Also, I'm not sure if Umbreon(UN) is used in your area, but it helps a lot with him since the rest of your pokemon have poke-powers/poke-bodies.

This is my deck list

How do you find the fire energy you need for Blaziken then? that totally take away any symetry for this deck, which needs to be smooth since the object is no trainers from T1 on, and you have to set up 2 stage 2's.

Crobats suck when you can't play Poketurns, so -2 Crobat G, +1 Haunter, +1 Warp Energy. A 4-3-3-1 line of gengar makes it a lot easier to get out under Trainer lock, and another warp energy so you can get out of Chatterlock even if the other Warp Energy is prized.

I have put the Haunter up to 4 in the deck now. I took out the Rare Candy out for Copycat and Warp Energy. I also saw one person at my BR's running Gengar with Blaziken FB tech and seemed to be consistent.

@QuestionMarx
How do you 1HKO Vileplume with Blaziken FB?

You use Luring Flame to drag the Vileplume into the active position. Next turn, assuming it is still active, you use Jet Shoot to do 80 + 40 (Luring Flame Burned Vileplume).

Back