Ruling Gengar-EX and Wobbuffet

simsands

Half raccoon, half chipmunk
Say I use Gengar-EX's attack Dark Corridor while the defending Pokemon has a Grass Energy attached and a Virizion-EX in play. If I switch into Wobbuffet PHF, will the defending Pokemon be poisoned, or will Bide Barricade not be activated in time?

34-gengar-ex.jpg

36-wobbuffet.jpg

As I understand it, effects of attacks are performed one at a time in the order they are listed. Because of that, the poison condition will be prevented before Verdant Wind is disabled. However, if the attack would tell you to switch before poisoning the opponent, the poison would go through. Is this correct?

^This is correct. Sort of. This is going to be a bit confusing.

All effects of the attack are resolved simultaneously, the damage, poison, and the switching, so the order of the wording does not matter unless it gives you a specific order things have to happen in. (ie: Switch gengar THEN, as in ONLY AFTER SWITCHING the defending pokemon is poisoned. In the current wording, both happen at the same time.)

Virizion EX's ability and Wobbuffet's ability are both continuous, meaning that when they are active, they are never shut off. However, Virizion's ability is already in play at the time of the attack while Wobuffet's ability is not in play until after all effects of the attack are resolved. Thus, Virizion's ability gets to activate before the Wobbuffet can shut it down.

TL;DR: The pokemon with the Grass energy is not poisoned.

Back