General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

I'm slowly getting back to Biohazard, making some minor revisions before reposting them via edit. Hopefully I'll have chapter four up by next week if not sooner.

In the meantime, though, the haiku contest is still open for anyone who's interested.

I've been working all week on minor revisions for Protection, I am just so idea dead, it isn't even funny. I want the character to have a peaceful, 3-4 chapters, that are lengthy, but I don't know how to portray the bordem, because I am never bored.

Boredom is a relative term that you really shouldn't associate with peacefulness unless the first leads into the other. In the case of my own works, the focus I'm trying to work on is character development, as opposed to your story that deals a bit more in plot from what I've surmised through the readings I've done of it the past few weeks. A peaceful chapter can be useful if you want to bring in what Jaron is like during his downtime, however it depends on if you think it's necessary to show that part of him. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to suggest...sorry if that's not much help...

^It is great help, I just can't seem to portray the downside of Jaron, he doesn't have much of one, and he is always getting into trouble, but I do need to show this side.

So I'm going to start a story on a young boy whose house burns down, he gets amnesia from the accident, and wants to find out who he truly is. I'v finished the first paragraph which involves him waking up in hospital, his parents sat at his bedside who were almost completely unharmed in the accident, he then almost tries to attack them not believing they are his real parents, but I don't know where to go from there.

Sounds like one of those fics where you need to focus on the events leading up to the accident. Just sometime strengthening the backstory/prelude can bring to light more reasons why he doesn't believe they're his parents (like they were abusive towards him in some way, shape, or form right before the actual fire occurred and he doesn't want to remember they're his parents, if that makes). After that, you could focus on how they leave him in the hospital for a short time for recovery, but all the while, he plans to runaway and wander about until his memory starts to come back a little at a time. That's just off the top of my head and maybe you'd want to aim for just his struggle to recover and remember his parents instead.

You have a beginning, but you need a climax. There's no point in the story if you can't think of a climax to direct the plot to.

I have a climax, but I want you guys to see it... He is gonna go on a special mission, outside the forest, to a large city, to hunt down the thieves, while he is there, he is gonna meet many people, and on his way, he is gonna see several legendaries, one of which agrees to help him...

What do you guys think?

Apollo the Incinermyn said:
Sounds like one of those fics where you need to focus on the events leading up to the accident. Just sometime strengthening the backstory/prelude can bring to light more reasons why he doesn't believe they're his parents (like they were abusive towards him in some way, shape, or form right before the actual fire occurred and he doesn't want to remember they're his parents, if that makes). After that, you could focus on how they leave him in the hospital for a short time for recovery, but all the while, he plans to runaway and wander about until his memory starts to come back a little at a time. That's just off the top of my head and maybe you'd want to aim for just his struggle to recover and remember his parents instead.

Thanks a lot for this, I'm starting back up again now, I got an idea from your post :p

MrGatr said:
I have a climax, but I want you guys to see it... He is gonna go on a special mission, outside the forest, to a large city, to hunt down the thieves, while he is there, he is gonna meet many people, and on his way, he is gonna see several legendaries, one of which agrees to help him...
That... isn't a climax. A climax is considered the most suspenseful point of tension/excitement, the moment that decides whether the ending will resolve nicely or foretell doom for all. What you listed it the opening and middle plot, which is supposed to lead to the climax. If there is no climax, then the plot will just wander around with no clear general focus.

All stories address some sort of problem. Have to. There would be no point in a story where everything is perfectly fine. Think of the climax as the very last chance that the main character/some other character attempts to solve it once and for all.

@MrGatr: Yeah, a climax would be on the lines of something like where the hero of a story is in a life-or-death battle against the villian or antihero (depending on perspective, since the roles of protagonists and antagonists can be easily inverted from the simple "good guy versus bad guy" scenarios you see in a lot of works, like Superman versus Lex Luthor or Harry Potter versus Lord Voldemort/sp?). I don't think Zy could've explained it better, really.

Thanks guys, but Zy, is almost like apollo, he can turn things into n00b language,easily... Maybe that is why they were both mods...

MrGatr said:
Thanks guys, but Apollo, is almost like Zy, he can turn things into n00b language,easily... Maybe that is why they were both mods...
Fixed.

Yeah, Zy was my predecessor. I was really kind of an independent voice and focused strongly on my own works more than helping others prior to being modded. Since then I've been up-ing my game, and trying to help out more where I can.

^I do the same... except the mod part... I just need to focus more ob my own stuff.

^ & ^^: And I seem to do neither... I'm writing offsite currently now, but I can't find any fiction here that interests me to the point where I would leap out of my chair, clap my hands, and like Charlie Sheen, shout, "There it is!" In other words, my business with critiquing myself and others has dwindled due to lack of interest. Any ideas on what might help me get motivated enough to read anyone's work? Any suggestions on what to read? I'm just throwing this stuff out.

~AoH

I could update part of Chapter Four in Biohazard either tonight or tomorrow sometime if you want to give me a critique on it in general as it stands right now? Or I could allow you to bump it anyhow since it's my fic and you sort of cleared it with me beforehand by mentioning you wanted something to read? Otherwise, the only active fic is really Yoshidude's. I'll be getting some things up in the coming days, but they're mostly remedial updates for Biohazard and Feral Twilight.

I got a paper due Wednesday, so anytime before Thursday is fine with me, Apollo.

I'm still working on beefing up the MSWord copies of Biohazard's early chapters as I've been since you made your last critique, Zy, but I think I'll update the fic with what I've got thus far in Chapter Four to 1.) make it current and 2.) get some input since I'm not sure how it holds up with the chapters as they currently as online here (I haven't made any real edits except for minor rewordings in the prologue, which didn't change any of the actual events in it nor will my next ones since I'm just expanding on some descriptions is all, not changing events).

Back