General Empoleon Discussion

RE: Counter for Empoleon?

True, I am assuming they won't use Dusknoir at all, like I assume they have a Terrakion up every time I play down Zekrom.

It turns the match up around that 1-2 prize trade for 1, is insanely strong against Empoleon. That 1 card is a card I know I can remove without losing as much as I earn.

I think that Zekrom is the best tech. There's nothing really good out there and the reason you can't use a five energy keldeo is because the empoleon decks nowadays have migrated away from fighting attackers and are switching to stuff like Leafeon and Flareon (to combat the blastoise and genesect matchups, respectively). A leafeon with bangle OHKOs a three energy keldeo. There's no perfect tech out there I think it's just a bad matchup but that Zekrom from PLF could help.

Empoleon without beach

Hey, so I wanted to build empoleon but I have no beach, is the deck still good without beach? If so what should I play? Pokemon center?

Merged with another thread to create the General Empoleon Discussion thread ~Camoclone

RE: Empoleon without beach

Probably Center, yes.

I've never heard of Empoleon using Beach before. It doesn't even need it.

Yeah I gotta agree I've been running empoleon since before rotation and I've never needed beach. The deck has so much draw power anyways that in a lot of cases beach actually can hurt more then help as I've had a tendency to deck myself out more often then my opponent taking six prizes. But if you need a counter stadium (which you do) I've seen a few try champions festival (expensive , but not as much as beach) or most commonly, poke center.

DarkraiGuy said:
Hey, so I wanted to build empoleon but I have no beach, is the deck still good without beach? If so what should I play? Pokemon center?
I've tested Empoleon and I often find myself using Skyla for a beach early in the game. It allows me to get set up so much faster and is undoubtedly better however, once you set up 1-2 Empoleon's beach is no longer used as draw power.

Beach in Empoleon is not only used for the draw power but it also is used as a kick-stadium to kick off a Virbank City Gym or other stadium that your opponent has in play.

In summary beach is nice and makes Empoleon better. However it is not required and can function without beach.

DarkraiGuy said:
IMHO, I also agree that Beach is definitely not needed in this deck given ALL of the card draw power it has. This deck is great and runs just fine without Beach.

There are 2-3 primary deck variations and one variant runs Ht Lasers and Virbank City Gym. So, depending upon your "play style," you may find VCG a viable Stadium to play.

Baby_BI said:
True, I am assuming they won't use Dusknoir at all, like I assume they have a Terrakion up every time I play down Zekrom.

It turns the match up around that 1-2 prize trade for 1, is insanely strong against Empoleon. That 1 card is a card I know I can remove without losing as much as I earn.

I assume Terrakion is better than Landorus EX for getting around Zekrom in Empoleon/Dusknoir? Landorus EX just seems like it has a better weakness than Terrakion does being Water instead of Grass especially for getting around the Virizion/Genesect matchup not to mention any Leafeon tech's being played against you as well.

Interesting you would mention Landorus EX. I actually prefer running Lando over Terrakion at this time, because Lando provides a few extra options (even though it also presents a 2 prize target too).

Back