Writing Gem of Helix (Update: Chapter 4 Preview)

RE: Gem of Helix (Sci-Fi, PG) NEW: CHAPTER 3 PREVIEW!

Flygon2071: Glad you like it, unfortunately chapter 3 won't be around for a while since I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment, but I have been working on it a little...

Luckyfire: I want to add the chapters separately so I can add links to them later. That's why I didn't include chapter 3 in the same post as chapter 2. It's also easier to separate the chapters out and distinguishes each chapter from the next.

RE: Gem of Helix (Sci-Fi, PG) NEW: CHAPTER 3 PREVIEW!

CHAPTER 3 COMPLETE!

3: P.A.S.T

I held my breath as the worm edged towards my face, it's eye focused on me. Rows of angular blood stained teeth were aligned along the flower-like mouth that was gaping wide. I then noticed there were two larger teeth, almost like fangs protruding from the tips of the worm's lips. That makes eight fangs, ready to tear into my guts. The worm swiftly bit into my left leg, all of it's fangs sinking into my flesh, blood seeping out. I screamed in pain as some sort of acid came out of the worm's fangs, burning my skin and muscle. It felt like I had been stabbed about 4 times in my leg and now salt is being rubbed into the wounds, along with vinegar. It stung so much I started to cry, trying to force my leg out of the gripping teeth of the worm. I screamed again as more acid was pumped into my leg, my eyes crying and my hands held onto the worm's head, pushing it away.

I couldn't take it any longer, so I reached for the knife I saw on the floor earlier, and stabbed it into the worm's head, slicing through it. The worm hissed and fled, it's oozing green blood stained the leather seats of the car and the knife. I collapsed onto the seat in agony and exhaustion, my hands shaking and my leg stinging with acid.

So much pain... I thought to myself as I saw the glowing eye of the worm getting further away.

My breath was hot and dry, my mouth opening and closing as I reached for air. The Filter was still working, and the knife was still in my tight grip, loosening as I calmed down. I was shaking in terror as I could see the worm's eye fading into the fog.

"Kassie... Wake up, please..." I spluttered as blood was being drained from my leg. It looked like a waterfall, a waterfall of thick red water vital for life.

Kassie didn't move. Mari had been eaten and there was no one to be seen on the abandoned streets.

Not until I saw a shadow walking down the road. Through the fog I could see a hunched figure, that seemed to had a round stomach and a large candy cane in one hand, and a rope in the other. Next to the figure, there was a canine shape attached to the rope. A dog?

As the figure came closer, I realized it had wrinkles on its face, an old golden retriever and a walking stick. I recognized the figure as it became clear though the fog. His hair that was falling out, his moustache and beard clung onto his face...
I know him... He's... Grandad?

But how? He's been dead for six years now, and his dog Anna has been dead for eight. Dream? No. I could feel the warm air on my face, the shattered glass that cut my face and toes. It wasn't a dream, it was a miracle.

Grandad smiled at me as he walked closer, Anna walking beside him. I was crying, I missed him so much.

"My dear Emerald, is this real? Am I alive again?" His voice came to my ears like music.

"I don't know... but I feel happy..." I replied as I cried with joy and confusion.

"Please don't cry Emerald, or I will cry too." He spoke with no emotion.

He stood infront of the remaining car, smiling slightly.

I leaned in to hug him. All the pain was gone, the only emotion I could feel was happiness as I came closer to him.

Grandad... I hugged him, my arms wrapped around his waterproof black coat, embracing him. He didn't hug back. He stood with no emotion again, not even smiling this time.

"Emerald... Please, don't head towards the light. You're not ready..." He said.

"What do you mean?" I replied, getting worried and anxious.

"Emerald... Don't head towards the light. You must return."

"Grandad, is this... Am I..." I stuttered, a large glowing light beamed through the fog.

"You're dead."

"I can't be! It was just a bite!" I hesitated.

"Toxins entered your bloodstream. You died with no pain."

Tears rolled down my face. I couldn't be dead, this must be a dream... I thought to myself as the light grew brighter.

"But I don't believe in heaven, or hell. This can't be real!"

"But it is. You don't go to heaven nor hell. You go to a place I call death."

"No! I don't want to be dead!" I screamed as I noticed everything faded to black.

"Emerald. Go back now!"

"But how?"

"I... don't know."

Silence. I kept telling myself it was a dream. It wasn't.

All I did from that point on was cry without stopping. My eyes swelled, my grandad was gone.

Should I go? I can't go back now, maybe death isn't so bad... I thought to myself as I wiped my tears away with my sleeve.

I didn't get a choice. I knew they would find me eventually. The light faded, it was just me sat weeping in the dark. Suddenly, I could feel static electricity buzzing on my chest. It made my heart jump. Then, it became stronger, making my heart beat quicker and with more strength.

All of a sudden I saw a ceiling. It was covered in rectangular lights. Everything came back into focus now. I could hear a beeping noise, it sounded like a heart monitor. I could hear people talking, but their voices slightly muffled. A face appeared before me, half of the face had a blue mask on, the other with observing eyes. A torch was shone into my eyes, making my pupils refract.

"Are you okay?" The lady standing over me asked.

I nodded, wondering what just happened. I then realized I was in a hospital, with doctors leaning over me.

"What happened to me?" I asked as one doctor gave me a glass of water.

"You almost died. Somehow you survived a deadly dose of venom in your body." One man replied.

"We saved your life young lady" He said.

I felt extremely grateful, but I was too tired to speak. I smiled politely and drank some water. I noticed my leg was covered in bandages, where I was bitten.

"You really need to sleep. Oh, and welcome to the P.A.S.T." A nurse said before leaving the room.

The P.A.S.T... Thankyou.

RE: Gem of Helix (Sci-Fi, PG) NEW: CHAPTER 3 COMPLETE!

Great, as always! I like the extreme setting and situation in this chapter. Very nice. ^.^

Luckyfire said:
Great, as always! I like the extreme setting and situation in this chapter. Very nice. ^.^

Thanks, I thought I needed to put something different in this chapter, something more serious and somewhat surreal. Thanks for the feedback, seems like I'm getting the hang of writing now.

CHAPTER 4 PREVIEW:

My head was pounding, bursts of pain shot through my head every second. The nurses and doctors were all gone, and I was abandoned, alone. I forced myself to move out of bed, my legs shaking and my arms covered in goosebumps. The heart monitor was switched off, and the hallway was empty. It was too quiet, and Kassie was no where to be seen. I could only hear the faint drip of water falling from a tap. Drip... Drip... Drip...
I stared at the walls. I began to feel scared, as it seemed like everyone had left me. Drip...Drip...Drip... That sound agitated me as it repeated again and again, no other sound. I breathed deeply as I edged out of my bed and onto the cold, blue plastic covered floor. Again, the dripping sound continued as it echoed across the room.

Drip....Drip.....Drip.....Beep. I thought I was only hearing things. Beep... Beep! It sounded like... the heart monitor? I didn't turn it on, it can't be beeping... Beep! It wasn't even plugged in, or monitoring anything. How was it beeping? From a slow steady beep it became fast and loud, making me freeze. I looked through the corner of my eye, trying to see what the monitor was doing. For a moment I thought the monitor had the word 'We' on it. I took a deep breath, and turned to face the dark green screen of the heart monitor. The word 'We' came across the screen. Then the word 'Will'. We will... I thought it was a joke.

"Kassie, is that you?" I asked. No one replied.

"Kassie...Stop it. It's not fun..." Before I could finish my sentence, more words came across the screen.

'We will find'... I became so scared I couldn't look away from the screen anymore.

'We will find you and DESTROY YOU'. My breathing became heavy as I glared at those seven words that just appeared on the screen.

What is this... a joke? I thought to myself as the words disappeared again.

But it wasn't over yet. One more word.

'Emerald.'

I panicked and ran out of the room, sprinting down the corridor.

"KASSIE!!!" I screamed as I rushed down a flight of stairs.

"KASSIE KASSIE KASSIEEEEE!!!" I was so frightened, I did't care if people thought I was being loud and stupid.

I saw what I saw, and what I saw was:

We will find you and DESTROY YOU Emerald.

RE: Gem of Helix (Sci-Fi, PG) NEW: CHAPTER 4 PREVIEW!

Anyone like the epic cliff hanger? I will upload the completed chapter soon, and I will take critique and feedback, for those who want to give it :)

Back