GBA Pokemon Games on 3DS Shop

BlueEyedSteelix

Steelix Bait
Hey there guys,
This is an interesting subject to me. It has been confirmed that there will be Gameboy + Gameboy Advance games on the 3DS Shop. Assuming there will be Pokemon games on this shop, which in my eyes is a given, how do you think Game Freak/Nintendo will handle the trading aspect of the games? In my opinion, they will probably just render the trading unusable. However, if they were to let you trade between the GBA games with the DS ones, I can tell you right now, I would re-buy all of the games I already own.
Thoughts?

They would never, ever let you trade between (emulated) GBA and DS games, at least not in this generation. GBA's whole focus has been shifted aside, and the same is kind of happening with 4th Generation. And since this is going to be on 3DS, one of the aims is 3DS features, not backwards-compatible DS features (while a very nice feature, that is mostly in there to make a little bit of money and satisfy the consumers, rather than to give any actual benefits). Now GBA to GBA trading, that can be possible. With some ROMs, it's possible to trade and battle over the Internet, even when that wouldn't normally be possible in-game. I'm sure that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to tweak the games coding a little bit to allow that, but with local wireless. Old Pokemon games have already been known to be tweaked a little for a rerelease (Pokemon Snap comes to mind), so it's definetely not out of the question. It just comes down to whether Nintendo or Game Freak would allow it, since it may take away sales of current Pokemon games. But while this speculation is fun, it might be a little pointless since GBA hasn't been confirmed for the shop. It's easily possible, given the size limits, and it's generally feasible (N64 was two generations before the Wii, GBA is two generations before the 3DS), but it still hasn't been confirmed.

Interesting, thanks for the response! Are you saying that it would be possible to trade one of these 3DS Shop Pokemon games with, say, a normal copy of Emerald with a wireless adapter? Or are you saying you could trade a 3DS Shop game with another 3DS Shop game?

This is obviously all speculation, but I would love to see some compatibility.

I think that there would be a lot of work involved to get a hard copy of Emerald working with a virtual version. The amount of people who would use the feature would be low, and Nintendo is trying to steer away from hard-copy GBA games. But that's something that might be able to be done by the community, similar to the NES and SNES adapters for Wii remotes (allowed you to use the orginal controllers when playing VC games; it wasn't official). But a 3DS Shop game communicating with a 3DS Shop game is definitely feasible. It's already being done with a VC game in Japan (it's a puzzle game that has online play).

That would be great. I will probably buy at least one of them anyway, but if they were to have compatibility, I would absolutely love it.

Back