GASP!!!!!   Poekmon Liberated site is closing

(TYranitarFReak)

need politoed ex! juz 1 more~~
RE: GASP!!!!! Poekmon Liberated site is closing

the thing is starting to get hot and suddenly they wanna close it?? oh pls dont close it, i still need the DF patch!!!!

C

celebi2k

Why would they close this but netbattle been up for years. Anyway just cause the site close they cant stop people from making patches.

(TYranitarFReak)

celebi2k said:
Why would they close this but netbattle been up for years. Anyway just cause the site close they cant stop people from making patches.

ur right, we can still make patches, and play;)

DocRobot_K-176

Red Raging Rampage
I strongly urge against it. The reason that Pokémon Liberated closed down was due to copyright issues. From what I understand, PUSA has been lenient lately about the way that we use their intellectual property. We have been promoting their product, so that hasn't been a big problem.

Pokémon Liberated's patches, on the other hand, interfere with PUSA's ability to make a profit. People could download the patches and play the TCG without buying the cards; therefore, PUSA loses money. From a business perspective, if you went through the time and trouble to make a product, then someone uses your idea without your permission, and it siphons off customers from you, you would want to prevent that from happening. That is why PUSA sent them a "cease and desist" letter, a letter basically telling them to shut their activities down before PUSA takes legal actions. PL's intentions were probably not malicious and they may not have realized that they were doing anything wrong. However, it is important to understand the law. In other words, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for infringing it."

(TYranitarFReak)

But online playing would never catch up with playing cards in real life! The scholarships in real life proves it;)
Nintendo already made A LOT of profit from the packs, boxes.... Have any1 calculated how much would it cost to make a card? less than $ 0.10 i would say.

Anyway, i think OCTGN can encorage more ppl to play the game in real life. Just ask any good american players, 9 out of 10 of them gotta test their decks through online! online playing saves a lot of time and makes the game fresh and interesting. real life playing is slow and therefore the feel of "boring " would come, then u'll quit and Nintendo would lose money LOL

astral_boy

Crusty Old PokeBeacher
It also means we can play online with people who share interests overseas. :)

Does this mean we should all uninstall OCTGN and stop playing online?

hobohunter

Aspiring Trainer
No I'm not gonna stop playing online and I hope noone here stops doing it either. Besides the people at pokemon Liberated are just gonna change the site name.

(TYranitarFReak)

astral_boy said:
It also means we can play online with people who share interests overseas. :)

Does this mean we should all uninstall OCTGN and stop playing online?

NO, dont EVER do that! save the program and eventually some1 is gonna make patches!;)

astral_boy

Crusty Old PokeBeacher
lol. i wasn't really being serious. but oh well. i'll wait for patches. as well as a faster internet speed so i can actually download them. :|

Metal Master

Sparkily Sunshine
Wonder how hard it is to make patches. I'll look into it, see how much work is required.

FYI, if Apprentice can do it, then so can OCTGN. :p

F

Fresko21

DocRobot_K-176 said:
I strongly urge against it.  The reason that Pokémon Liberated closed down was due to copyright issues.  From what I understand, PUSA has been lenient lately about the way that we use their intellectual property.  We have been promoting their product, so that hasn't been a big problem.

Pokémon Liberated's patches, on the other hand, interfere with PUSA's ability to make a profit.  People could download the patches and play the TCG without buying the cards; therefore, PUSA loses money.  From a business perspective, if you went through the time and trouble to make a product, then someone uses your idea without your permission, and it siphons off customers from you, you would want to prevent that from happening.  That is why PUSA sent them a "cease and desist" letter, a letter basically telling them to shut their activities down before PUSA takes legal actions.  PL's intentions were probably not malicious and they may not have realized that they were doing anything wrong.  However, it is important to understand the law.  In other words, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse for infringing it."

Well then wouldnt it be the same case with Apprentice? A lot of site host Appr and the Pokemon patch. I understand that they dont include copywritten pictures and actual card images, but the do in fact include plajirized cards. It all works out the same as their program as you play the game just the same without pictures. Or was the letter made because they targetted the actual source, where as that would be harder with things such as Appr if there is no actual "main" site speaking of how the patch coming along, what to expect next, etc. All the credits in the Appr patch state is where to download it, and if you try to access the main site, just liche.org, all you get is, "we rox, you sux.". No contact info, etc. Nor do the credits state any contact info other than forum names, which could or couldnt be theres on specific forums. Too hard to track.

I honestly dont see how it's a problem. I see online gaming as furthering the gaming community rather than hurting the company producing the game. The ability to play whenever you want allows you to playtest with whom you want without having to make a trip which you may not be able to make. I know when I was away at college, I used Appr to test Magic with my friends back home as I was a few states away from them. Playtesting at any time allows players to advance their skill and knowledge in the game. Players who advance their skill become more confident. More confident players are more likely to travel further for an event. Players willing to travel further to events increases event attendance. Increase in event attendance equals an increase in profits as not only are the prizes given out more made up for by entry fees, but players are more likely to buy product from both the company and stands selling the companies product (Random purchases, and singles to finish decks.).

A community with more players who are both knowledgeable and confident means more players who will stick around in the long run, allowing the game to keep players playing and the game to live on longer.

Unless they were going to create an online pay game like Magic did with MTGO, then I feel it was a bad call. There wont be any loss in online gaming #'s as those players will just revert back to appr once the patch becomes out of date.

I still feel that Magic Workstation is the best choice for online gaming, and Im surprised to see that no one has made a patch for MWS for Pokemon yet (Ive only been in the game now for 3 days =/). Ive been deciding if I wanted to go ahead and make a patch for it on there.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

They used the name "Pokemon." That's why they got in trouble.

Darkwalker

Deckbuilder for my Junior Trainers
I think the real problem was OCTGN used actual scans for the playing cards, not to mention the pokemon card backs and the name. Apprentice uses just the text involved, so that may be why they were not also given the cease and desist. OCTGN is also not game specific so Nintendo can't really do anything about that program, as it was not made to infringe on their copyrighted material in any way. I'm sure patches will still be created for future Pokemon (and Yugioh, MTG, and other card games), but distributing them will be the main problem.