Garbodor / Big Basics

Blah

DBT
Use this thread for all discussion of the Garbodor deck. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs. This does not include any other variant of Garbodor.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means of adding to the discussion. Don't post decklists here for advice.

All discussion not related to Garbodor will be moved or deleted. All shallow or uninformed discussion will also be deleted by the mods.

Basic List:
3 Landorus EX (BC 89)
3 Trubbish (PS 65)
2 Garbodor (DR 54)
2 Mewtwo EX (ND 54)
2 Cobalion EX (PS 93)

4 Professor Juniper (DE 98)
4 N (DE 96)
3 Skyla (BC 134)
1 Bianca (EP 90)
1 Colress (PS 118)
3 Ultra Ball (DE 102)
1 Heavy Ball (ND 88)
1 Level Ball (ND 89)
3 Switch (BW 104)
4 Float Stone (PF 99)
2 Eviolite (PS 122)
1 Dowsing Machine (PS 128)
3 Pokemon Catcher (EP 95)
4 Hypnotoxic Laser (PS 123)
1 Virbank City Gym (PS 126)
1 Max Potion (EP 94)

4 Fighting Energy (BW 110)
2 Double Colorless Energy (ND 92)
4 Prism Energy (ND 93)
1 Metal Energy (BW 112)

RE: Garbodor/Landorus EX/Mewtwo EX

Personally, I think LandorusEX/Garbdodor is a very underrated deck. It has decent match-ups against most decks. Ho-oh and Blasteo can give it a hard time, but i like this variant very much. With Garbotoxin, matches essentially become a match about throwing hay makers. Landorus is moderately fast. Mewtwo is as fast as the defending pokemon as long as you have a DCE. Put in a couple terrakion for retaliates and for the sigilyph/boufflant. There ya go. A tier 2 or 3 deck that can hang with most of the big dogs.

RE: Garbodor / Landorus EX / Mewtwo EX

The problem with Garbodor is that in some matchups it is 100% useless. In this case you're running 10+ cards in your deck that are useless and could be used in your opponent's deck for healing, consistency, techs, etc. Even if you are facing a deck with abilities, Garbodor is a difficult mon to get up and keep up and if they can get it out of the game then you are once again at a big disadvantage. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to add 10+ cards that are useless in many matches just so you might have an advantage in a few others.

Many matchups?

Which matchups are you talking about?

Keldeo is a good matchup for Garbodor, but Hooh really gives it problems.

Um...pretty much every pure basic deck? They're really popular nowadays and they use no Abilities at all of if they do its something like Bouffalant so they just won't play him (which they probably wouldn't do anyway if your main attackers are Landorus and Mewtwo).

Darkrai also uses abilities and then you stock it in the active. Sigilyph is blocked from using its ability too. This deck isn't viable with the release of BC. Before there was Hydreigon, Garchomp, Eels which all depended of abilities. Now the format has been taken by big basics so the abilities are not so important now. There is still Eels, Hydreigon and Blastoise but Big Basics is better and more common. It really had problems with Rayeels unless you could take out all eels even if you have Garbodor as Rayquaza can use its first attack to power itself and OHKO Garbodor. Eelbox is also a problem. Garbodor is too weak to Mewtwo. Mewtwo in eelbox is monster and is easily setup even without the eels. Garbodor can't get away of eels (unless its zekeels which is an easy matchup). It has an upper hand against Hydreigon and Blastoise so that is good. Apart from that, it is destroyed by almost everything.

Darkrai could easily win against Garbodor, especially Hammertime.
Catcher garbodor.
Junk hunt.
repeat.

Dark Void said:
Um...pretty much every pure basic deck? They're really popular nowadays and they use no Abilities at all of if they do its something like Bouffalant so they just won't play him (which they probably wouldn't do anyway if your main attackers are Landorus and Mewtwo).

By every big basic deck that uses no abilities do you mean Landorus Mewtwo? Because that's the only good big basic deck that doesn't use abilities :/

I think at least until Float Stone comes out its kind of pointless. In testing I usually spend the entire game scrambling for one of my four switches. That and there isn't a whole lot that depends on its ability completely. Darkrai/Hydra can function without Dark Cloak/Trance. Keldeo can function without Blastoise and since your not going to have Garbotoxin on all day, all a Keldeo player needs is one turn of Deluge to turn on the heat. The only thing that is 100% dependable on an ability is Rayeels. And with Landorus in a lot of decks now, you don't see as much Rayeels as in BRs. That and most Garbodor variants will run Landorus so it should't be a hard matchup anyways. Iv'e tested Garbodor and I want it to be good, it just doesn't fit in the format right now.

Can someone explain to me how garbodor is more inconsistent than any other deck with a stage 1or 2?

MMAmonchan said:
Can someone explain to me how garbodor is more inconsistent than any other deck with a stage 1or 2?

It also needs a Tool attached which can be Tool Scrappered away. Also, the inconsistency of decks with stage 1 or 2s already hurts them a ton and unlike Garbodor they are all generally useful in every matchup.

Is this Deck really as challenged as other posters are saying? I personally think Garbodor pairs excellently with Tornadus EX! Get quick knockouts on Squirtle and Tynamo for the win! Add a Pluspower, and you can Donk against a lone Sableye, as well! Really, you can pretty much 2HKO every Pokémon-EX, or force them to use up healing items too soon. You can even KO Bouffalant, or Sigilyph (ohh, aahh, oh my gosh, that feels so good)!

I need to playtest this guy a lot more and see for myself these problems a few folks above me are complaining about...

I don't think Tornadus EX is a good option in Garbodor. It usually requires a Stadium to be effective early game, which hurts the consistency. Garbodor already needs the Tool to work, adding another attacker which needs a combo piece as well just doesn't sound that good to me. Mewtwo EX is so much better~

Oh that's okay, Soul, with the release of Plasma Storm, Virbank Gym and Hypnotoxic Laser are universally viable in almost every Deck!

Huhapuwpuwwuwuwpwhuhuauhahuhauhahuhauhaihhwuihwihwhwoihwiouwohwi....

Considering how well it did at States, it definitely deserves to be Tier 1. It's inconsistency is the only thing holding it back at all at this point (and obviously the weakness to Tool Scrapper).

I'm having a real hard time building a list. I can't ever seem to get set up fast enough.

Back