Fullmetal Alchemist

Kecleon-X

124c41+
RE: Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion thread!

So do you ever think that there will be a Fullmetal Alchemist live action adaption? Perhaps, I dunno, three movies? I'd actually like to see this happen, even though I think that perhaps they would take a bit too many artistic liberties and make something stupid happen. Take the second Jurassic Park movie as an example; that thing was so far off the book it wasn't even funny. Like, two completely different things -- and it irritates me still -- because the director took too many artistic liberties.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Kecleon-X said:
You know, I actually recommend starting with the first Anime. There are a lot of Easter Eggs for the viewers of the first Anime, and in the first series they went into a lot of backstory for Ed and Al; something merely brushed over in the second show. I think they knew most of their viewers watched the first series and decided to skip a lot of the backstory the first put in, while still giving the general idea for the rest of their viewers. Don't get me wrong -- Brotherhood is amazing. Parts of it emotionally impacted me to a more major degree than the first show, but I really recommend watching that backstory.

It's because of the manga, Brotherhood was more faithful to the manga's plot than the first, and in the first they took a lot more liberties and went more in depth with some of the plot points that the manga glossed over. IIRC, the plot also diverged after the Greed arc because the rest of the manga's plot was still being written at that point, so they just went off in their own direction at that point.

Scuba Steve

Aspiring Trainer

This anime defines my early teen years. I was so happy they made Brotherhood. As of now, I've watch the combine total of 115 episodes and read all 27 volumes of the manga. I've also watched both movies.

You could just relate with the characters and almost laugh, cry and get angry with them for the same things. It was so addicting. Funny all over, dramatic all over and suspenseful all over.

The world in which the Elric brothers live in bares a huge resemblance to Nazi Germany and London during the 1910 - 1922 years. As a history buff, I caught onto that very quickly.

Of all the characters, I'm one of the few members of the King Bradley super fan club. Best character in both series and the manga in my opinion.

[private]Edited for spoilers, even though this is beyond my jurisdiction. ~Kecleon[/private]

Kecleon-X

124c41+

I did not know that Vic Mignogna sang! I mean, I knew he did a cover of Brothers, but I didn't know he wrote his own songs with FMA in mind.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDGywsiI6g[/video]

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Scuba Steve said:
The world in which the Elric brothers live in bares a huge resemblance to Nazi Germany and London during the 1910 - 1922 years. As a history buff, I caught onto that very quickly.

And then if it wasn't obvious enough, Ed and Hohenheim end up in that era of Germany at the end of the first anime.

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
Full Metal Alchemist

This anime is a classic. I used to catch it here in there when I was younger but i recently had the chance to watch the series in its entirety.

And it was awesome.

Also I'm about half way through brotherhood and it hasn't disappointed me yet. Don't know which I like more. I'll have to see once I finish it.

Naked Snake

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Easily among my favourite anime/manga. Major Armstrong, on a sidenote, is easily one of my favourite characters.

My sister is actually reading Volume 7 of the manga right now.

Kecleon-X

124c41+
Yeah, I've actually thought about reading a Manga, perhaps. Maybe after I'm done with Bleach I should pick up the Manga and finish the story. Speaking of Manga... How do you actually pronounce it? "M-ah-ngah" "M-ay-ngah" "M-eh-ngah"?

Anyway, yeah, I have been watching the first series again with my dad! We just finished 7 episodes the other day on a sort of Fullmetal Marathon. We also got to hear one of the best quotes from the series:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6nQV88-Dw[/video]

:p

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Kecleon-X said:
Yeah, I've actually thought about reading a Manga, perhaps. Maybe after I'm done with Bleach I should pick up the Manga and finish the story. Speaking of Manga... How do you actually pronounce it? "M-ah-ngah" "M-ay-ngah" "M-eh-ngah"?

Since it's a term borrowed from Japanese, it more or less takes a short "a" sound and is closest to the first suggestion you offered.

JamesBond

Aspiring Trainer
Still havnt watched this yet, How many seasons were there in this show? I know there is fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, Any others?

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
The original anime is 51 episodes I believe. And I just finished season 4 of brotherhood which is about 52 episodes but that's not the end. I'm not sure how long it runs. Both of them are on Netflix though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Elite Stride

♫ I'm on the road to Viridian City ♫
They no longer offer the original series on Netflix live streaming. I have a love-hate relationship with Netflix cause they do this crap to all the good anime. It's probably licensing expiration and other factors out of their control, but it's still a drag.

Mistryss Nite

Is back from Beijing, China! ^.^
After many years of my brother hounding me to watch it, he finally set me down to watch Brotherhood a few months back. And, I loved it. It's not normally my type of show, but it was good and Lauren Bailey is awesome. I have been told that the original is almost the same, but with some differences. If so, is it worth even watching? Will it just confuse me to no end?

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
Honestly there are some key differences but brotherhood is the better of the two. I haven't gotten to the end of brotherhood yet but it's obvious that it ends differently than the original. In that sense it might be worth watching.