Full 'Champion's Path' Set List: Shiny Charizard V, Rainbow Rare Charizard VMAX!

You all better start getting your pre-orders now. If you're unlucky, you can't cry me a river. Many had PLENTY of time to preorder, but waited for a "subset." It's your last chance before price spikes exponentially.
Oh definitely, but I think it'll be a mistake if they underprint a set like this. Early Hidden Fates was basically ruined because of that until we got tin reprints which made it a little better. I would hope overtime they print to actually meet demand and hit that nice equilibrium spot rather than go completely under where it should be to the point where scalpers ruin everything.

I'm disappointed, I thought the set was going to be bigger and we were gonna get some missing GX cards and Boy welder
That would have been nice but I lost all hope for that a couple of months back. I'm gonna be really salty if they completely exclude the rest of those Alt. Art Tag Teams and the like. Those cards shouldn't be forced to be JP exclusives if it's such a large part of the Sun and Moon collection.

Oh definitely, but I think it'll be a mistake if they underprint a set like this. Early Hidden Fates was basically ruined because of that until we got tin reprints which made it a little better. I would hope overtime they print to actually meet demand and hit that nice equilibrium spot rather than go completely under where it should be to the point where scalpers ruin everything.

That would have been nice but I lost all hope for that a couple of months back. I'm gonna be really salty if they completely exclude the rest of those Alt. Art Tag Teams and the like. Those cards shouldn't be forced to be JP exclusives if it's such a large part of the Sun and Moon collection.

I got plenty pre-ordered and then some to make extra money when all has been sold out. However, my local card shop said that this Holiday set would be allocated just like Hidden Fates. Only a limited amount per store. Also, consider that during the pandemic, the place where they print and package these might not be performing at full capacity. Definitely going to be underprinted at first and scalpers will benefit the most unfortunately.

Gee talk about shoehorning things that are not needed to push a product better. They should've left the Rainbow Zard in Japan, we don't always need the same damn things they do.

Or at the very least put it in the real holiday set, Vivid Voltage since that has the Amazing Rares, it would've made that set even better.

Gee talk about shoehorning things that are not needed to push a product better. They should've left the Rainbow Zard in Japan, we don't always need the same damn things they do.

Or at the very least put it in the real holiday set, Vivid Voltage since that has the Amazing Rares, it would've made that set even better.
I did say that greedy English part of TPCI would do this solely for the money.

Zekrom Tournament Promo In Japan

US...pass

Mewtwo GX Tournament Promo in Japan

US......hhhmmmm....well...na pass

Chari...

US...Yep!!!!! Do it!!!

Nope. I'm out. This is going to be Hidden Fates part duex: Scalper's Revenge. I can't even.

Last edited:
With everything going on in the world today, it feels pretty tone deaf of me to come on here and nerd rage about a collectible card game.

That said, the Charizard mania is really beginning to frustrate me. Do they have no faith in their products to sell anymore? This is the fifth set in the last year and a half, within the last eight expansions in general, to rely on a super shiny Charizard to keep the rest of the set afloat. This one is particularly egregious because a) there are two of them and b) the rest of the set is god awful, scraped together from random Japanese filler when they could have just as easily given us the rest of the Tag All Stars cards as a distraction.

It also makes me wonder why this practice is still enabled? Are the Charizard fans even happy having to spend hundreds of dollars on one card every few months? How are they not saturated with super and ultra rare Charizard cards after 2019 and 2020? And the fanatics and/or scalpers have created a fantasia moment at this point where even cards that are not that rare and definitely not playable like Darkness Ablaze Charizard VMAX are selling for $100 for what reason?

I'm tired.

Wow, this set is even more dissapointing that I expected :O

They even needed to throw a shiny Zard so that people would actually buy it lol

We've just confirmed Fairy Energy is also available as a reverse holo. Despite Fairies being extinct. XD

That said, the Charizard mania is really beginning to frustrate me. Do they have no faith in their products to sell anymore? This is the fifth set in the last year and a half, within the last eight expansions in general, to rely on a super shiny Charizard to keep the rest of the set afloat. This one is particularly egregious because a) there are two of them and b) the rest of the set is god awful, scraped together from random Japanese filler when they could have just as easily given us the rest of the Tag All Stars cards as a distraction.
I don't have a problem with most of the Charizards existing, visually I enjoy a lot of the ones that have recently come out. The rainbow rares are dumb and shouldn't have ever existed, though. And while I'd like to own the Shiny one at least, I think it's a nice looking card and I want it as a Zard collector, I have no desire to get anything Champion's Path otherwise, because I don't care about this messily-thrown together set. I don't care about its themes, being "relive your epic journey through Galar and all these characters you love!" because I sure don't care about anything from that game, and so I'm just kind of in a rut with it. I'm probably not going to deal with it unless they print enough of this set to go and easily pick it up (hint, they won't). It's not like Hidden Fates where at least there was a lot of stuff to want out of it, it's just another boring SwSh set that happens to have a chase card. It puts me in a weird rut where it's like, sure I want this but I'm not going to waste my time and money on a set I don't care about otherwise.

It especially disappoints me as a special set because Tag All Stars, like you said exists. I want those alternate art Tag Teams a LOT more than I want anything in this set besides the one card.

It also makes me wonder why this practice is still enabled? Are the Charizard fans even happy having to spend hundreds of dollars on one card every few months? How are they not saturated with super and ultra rare Charizard cards after 2019 and 2020? And the fanatics and/or scalpers have created a fantasia moment at this point where even cards that are not that rare and definitely not playable like Darkness Ablaze Charizard VMAX are selling for 00 for what reason?
I couldn't ever bring myself to spend hundreds on a single of a stupid rainbow card, so I just don't bother. Charizard VMAX's price is another dumpster fire, and I have no idea why it's so much money. It's not that hard to pull comparatively, it's not a secret rare, there's not an astronomically low chance of getting it like say, the Shiny one from HF. It's just another Ultra Rare. That's like if they sold the Megas from flashfire for hundreds each even though they were just as easy to get as any other card in the set. It's 100% Scalpers and TCG stores artificially inflating the price of this card and it's the worst example of it I've ever seen.

While normally I don't care as much anymore because I have other, better hobbies and the first 6 generations of the TCG to enjoy anyways, I do want to mention again what I've been saying about the modern TCG. I love collecting Charizard, I'm guilty of that and I'm sure you and everyone here knows that but even I can agree it's gotten to a ridiculous point, and it really boils down to one thing: Oversaturation. I think they think it's the only way they'll sell their products anymore, having ungodly amounts of quantity with little to no quality. It would be SO much easier if we just had it like the older sets. One regular Ultra, and a Full Art if you really want to. 2 or so SR's a set. Not a Regular, and a Full Art, and an Alt. Art, and a Hyper Rare, and another Hyper Alternate Ultra Super Rare like we've been getting the last three years. It's just filler. It killed any enjoyment of completing sets I had with older ones. Gone are the days where you could finish a set easily, because Japan didn't print a new set once a month and you only got just over 100 cards a set. Gone are the days when you actually had a reasonable amount of chase cards, to the point where now you have 500 ugly tacky looking palette swaps each set. And even when they do something appealing, say, the Alt Art TTGX's with actual artwork, it's always locked behind that filler, making the singles you actually want a lot harder to access because it's so much harder to find when there's a bunch of other cards just like it that you don't want.

And people wonder why I hate the modern TCG.

Last edited:
And just like that, with a touch of Charizard, your bad expansion will now sell out!

The absence of Rainbow Alcremie VMAX is weird... but if it's one less secret rare that will bloat the set, good riddance.

I have a feeling that the missing GX cards will come in a special set next year for the 25th anniversary just like generations.

Why have a whole subset when you can *just* have the chase card that was the crown jewel of said subset?

Devilishly brilliant.

Neither of these Charizard were in Tag All Stars, but there was a golden Reshizard reprint that was, making their decisions with this shoddy set even more baffling.

I can speak for all of us when I say that from Shining Legends to Hidden Fates, they kept upping the ante.

Shining Legends: Several Shiny Cards plus MewTube
Dragon Majesty: Gold Ultra Necrozma as the only chase card (plus it say Fiery Flint at a time when Fire types dominated)
Hidden Fates: Needs no introduction

And then... Champions Path.

Yeah, we kept getting our own hopes up.

Just because their Shiny GX made it into the US Market, didn't necessarily mean that their Shiny TAG Team would, although from a standpoint of business AND during a pandemic, they were stupid not to since WE would've guaranteed our hard earned money at a necessary time to keep them afloat. Maybe as Water Pokemon Master mentioned, they'll be saved for the 25th Anniversary. Mcdonald's seems to be getting ready with the starters promo lineup. Japan should definitely be getting ready, bit they're keeping it on the low.

5 years ago I believe, in Japan, a Good Pikachu was being sold for $2100? Gold Plated or something. It recently sold on eBay PWCC for over 10k.

If they release something for Pikachu again, I'm definitely getting a few, unless they do Japanese residents only kind of thing. Even then, I have a backup plan for that hehe.

I do believe that the Shiny TAG Stars will come out in English, but not this year.

If anything, possibly for next year's English Holiday set, and then in 2022, Shiny V English. I did mention before that Hidden Fates had 94 SV cards. So far, were in 4 sets. That's not enough to create a Shiny V English Set just yet.

And even then, it'll seem like not only Charizard is being milked, but also the Shiny part as well. I remember when in the games, hunting for shinnies was truly rewarded with a high sense of accomplishment. 1/8000+ Shiny Encountered reduced to under that via Shiny Charm and Shiny Breeding to I believe under 1/600

Regardless, we'll have to deal with this Holiday set before we get bombarded with 25th Anniversary stuff, especially Japan only stuff.

Yeah, the Tag Team sets were a breath of fresh air . Beautiful art that was actually remeniscant of the Neo sets in that you could tell a lot of creativity was put into them. Was also really hoping that the missing cards (such as the alternate art Umbreon/Espeon) were gonna be released somehwere along the line but probably not.. Sword and Shield have produced nothing even remotelly interesting thusfar (just like the games). A continuation of the mostly uninspired artworks from the 2017/18 sets.

Yeah, the Tag Team sets were a breath of fresh air . Beautiful art that was actually remeniscant of the Neo sets in that you could tell a lot of creativity was put into them. Was also really hoping that the missing cards (such as the alternate art Umbreon/Espeon) were gonna be released somehwere along the line but probably not.. Sword and Shield have produced nothing even remotelly interesting thusfar (just like the games). A continuation of the mostly uninspired artworks from the 2017/18 sets.
Do you mean the Alt Art Espeon/Deoxys and Umbreon/Darkrai? Those were one of the very few cards from Tag All Stars that did get put into a product, in that weird Tag Powers Collection.

But yeah, you've summed up a lot of my sentiments about Gen 8. Almost nothing's interesting, there's a couple of nice arts here and there and I'll definitely mention it if I see one I like, a handful of cards I want and I'm happy Darmanitan got some love (even if it's just the Galar form), but otherwise there's not much for me. I was hoping it'd have improved on Sun and Moon, which besides the TTGX sets just disappointed me compared to how much I loved BW and XY.

Back