Resource Forum Games Resources & General Discussion

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Welcome to PokéBeach's Forum Games!

In this forum, members are able to play in various games and even host their own games for others to play too.
In this thread, you can find the Forum Games rules, Forum Games information & guides, and also discuss the antics of the rest of Forum Games. Feel free to request co-hosts/back-up hosts, talk about ideas for future games, and discuss ongoing and finished games here as well. This thread is also to be used to discuss games that have separate Master Documents, such as Mafia and Roleplaying Games.

Rules
  • New threads must be approved by the Forum Games moderating team before they will appear. This process may take days, depending on the quality/complexity of your game. Please be patient during this process.
  • Games with a YPPY rule (a player can't post until two other players have posted after their last post) should include [YPPY] in the thread title.
  • Play fair. For example, in Mafia, if you are a wolf don't tell all the town players who the other scum team members are. It ruins the game and is just not fun that way.
  • If you're not in a game, don't interfere! Each game is designed with a certain flow and balance in mind, and outside communication/interference can easily tip the scales one way or the other.
Staff

If you have any questions or concerns about what goes in on Forum Games, please feel free to contact the Forum Games moderating team:
Helpful Guides & Resources
Archives

Small announcement from the staff: We're not going to run games which use other sites like ProBoards until a much later date, if ever. It would be silly to design a game using the mechanic, because it won't be approved.

Thank you :)

With Mafia XXXVI about to begin its Day 1 Phase, it's time for Mafia host applications to open up gain! Applications should be submitted to the FG staff: Athena, bbninjas, Celever, Luispipe8. Once submitted, we'll respond with acknowledgement of your application within 24 hours. Make sure to read the important details about applying for Mafia hosting can be found here!

The deadline for apps will be August 14th at the timestamp of this post. Here's a countdown for convenience. Good luck to all applicants!

I'm currently in the process of designing a game. When it's done, where do I post it to get it approved?

I'm currently in the process of designing a game. When it's done, where do I post it to get it approved?

If it's a Mafia/WW game, follow the directions in this post to submit your game to the FG staff and see if you get a spot.

If it's a different type of game, just create a new thread for your game and it will be approved if the staff think it's fitting. We may contact you for questions or changes if we feel it's necessary.

Just a reminder that there is less then 3 days left to submit your applications for this upcoming round of Mafia games!

I'm sure you all have figured out by now... but just to make it official - the Mafia Applications are now closed! We'll be taking a look through the apps over the next week and make our decision soon. There's so many great apps, so it'll be a tough pick! =D

The next mafia hosts have been decided!

giphy.gif

Mafia XXXVII will be hosted by...
And Mafia XXXVIII will be hosted by...

Congratulations to this season's hosts and everyone who applied! All the applications were great - it was a very difficult task to select just two. All applicants will receive a formal PM with some feedback from the staff within the next day or so, so your application can be the absolute best it can be for the next season. =D

So when is the next game starting?

Also, can we have a discussion about player size here? People have been talking about reducing player size in Jesi's post game so I think there is merit in continuing it.

My opinion is that a reduction to 12 or 13 players would be a smart move, as it ensures that a higher percentage of players are excited about the game, rather than the lukewarm players we usually get to fill up the last few spots that inevitably end up being inactive.

This also has the side effect of reducing game duration which lets more hosts have a turn hosting, which I'm sure all aspiring hosts appreciate.

The next game will be up within the next 24 hours.

I don't think that a reduction in player size is necessary. This is because we have enough active players in our community, see:
1. GM DracLord
2. Keeper of Night
3. Ice Espeon
4. Luispipe8
5. scattered mind
6. simsands
7. Reinforce
8. King Xerneas
9. Jabberwock
10. double o squirtle
11. Squirtle Squad
12. Professor Palutena
13. quakingpunch73
14. thegrovylekid
15. PikaMasterJesi
16. bbninjas
17. PMJ
18. Camoclone
19. TheAnticipationEevee
20. Celever
21. Mr.Muffin
22. NinjaPenguin
(List provided by bb, if you're not on there blame him :p)

We have 22 active players within our community, and the current game sizes are around 16. If people put the effort in, we should actually be able to run 20 player games absolutely fine, too. The problem with the games are the players themselves and not the game size, as antagonistic as that may sound. If players joined in and fulfilled their roles as the more active players expect them to then hosts can keep designing fun games and players can keep enjoying them. I've been looking into the older games with less activity and have been trying to figure out why activity has dropped and I literally can't figure it out. The game design is fine, so the issue does lie with the mindset of the players. I think that half the game is so antagonistic that the other half is too scared to try to contribute out of fear of getting lynched, and this results in the former half getting killed by the scum team and then the latter half having no idea what's going on because they weren't contributing earlier on in the game. I don't know a solution to this because it's a lot to ask people to change their playstyles, but truthfully I just want people to come out of their shells and not be scared of getting lynched. It's better to die a legendary martyr than be a random victim lost to the tides of history!

My game has taken a while to get posted because the game design itself has been quite gruelling. I've designed the roles to be as dynamic as possible, which should hopefully keep people thinking, and this should by extension keep people passionate about the game. I want everyone to think that they've got a huge power role, even if in reality their role is pretty useless, and that's been a tough thing to both achieve in the first place and balance properly. I'm hoping that a game design focussed on fun above all else (but it's definitely not overpowered towards a certain faction, either) should help to get rid of the activity issues squandering our community right now.

For the record, my game is for 16 players. If everyone on that list signs up, we should have 5 subs, and if we have any inactivity it just doesn't really make sense. I'm also getting rid of arbitrary post limits as a means of measuring inactivity and just saying "if you're not doing enough I will warn and you if it persists I will sub you out" because sometimes the fear of vagueness is more effective than anything else.

I think activity was much more noticeable in this most recent game because Celever and Jesi and TGK all were not playing, and then quaking and a couple others subbed out due to IRL stuff, which means there was really only 14 to 16 players.

EDIT: I also think the mediocre-activity players are important, as long as the host is on to them if they're spending entire days lurking and not posting much at all.

Mafia XXXVIII is about to begin Day 1, which means it's that time again! Mafia hosting applications are now open! Applications should be submitted to the FG staff: Athena, bbninjas, Celever, Luispipe8. Once submitted, we'll respond with an acknowledgement of your application within 24 hours. Make sure to read the important details about applying for Mafia hosting can be found here!

The deadline for apps will be in two weeks, Tuesday 6th at the timestamp of this post. Here's a countdown 'cause it's easier. Good luck to all applicants!

Don't forget to to submit your Mafia applications, if you were planning on doing so! You've got a about 30 hours left from the time of this post, since we are extending the deadline for anyone who forgot to submit. ^.^

Aaaaand the Mafia Applications are now closed! We've got a bunch of great applications this season, so the decision is going to be tough! We'll be taking a look at the applications over the next week and will be giving our decision soon, so stay tuned. ^.^

Aaaaand the next mafia hosts have been decided!

giphy.gif

Mafia XXXIX will be hosted by...
And Mafia XL will be hosted by...
@Jabberwock & @bbninjas!

Congratulations to the hosts for this season, and everyone who applied! This was probably our toughest decision since I've been staff, since all the applications were great! Each applicant has received a formal PM with some feedback (if any) from the staff, so your application can be the absolute best it can be for the next season. =D

It's also probably about time that we announce that @Athena has stepped down as Head of Beach Life & Forum Games, and has been replaced by @Juliacoolo. Thankyou for all you've done Athena, and welcome back to the team, Juliacoolo! ^.^

Back