Resource Forum Games Resources & General Discussion

Celever

Wheeeee~
Hey folks, there's a particular topic of discussion which I think would be awesome to have some conversation about, since applications for The Challenge will open again very soon, and we've got a similar saga of Big Brother in its infancy. This question is "what kinds of games/challenges do you like to see in Forum Games like The Challenge and Big Brother?". Stuff like riddles, scavenger hunts, flash games or YPPY. Which do you prefer overall?

I'll weigh in later on.

Celever

Wheeeee~
With Mafia XL soon to begin, it's time for Mafia host applications to open up again! Applications should be submitted to the FG staff: bbninjas, Celever, Juliacoolo, Luispipe8, Professor Palutena. Once submitted, we'll respond with acknowledgement of your application within 24 hours. Make sure to read the important details about applying for Mafia hosting, found here!

The deadline for apps will be on the 8th April at 5PM GMT, 1PM EDT or 10AM PDT. Here's a countdown for convenience. Good luck to all applicants!

Also, as another discussion topic (see above for the first one :U), would you guys prefer it if we started mafia applications during the first game of each round rather than the second one? That way hosts have more time to perfect their games, and put less work into games that eventually end up rejected. Remember, all we need for an application is a finished OP -- balancing can come after if you have enough time!

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Hey folks, there's a particular topic of discussion which I think would be awesome to have some conversation about, since applications for The Challenge will open again very soon, and we've got a similar saga of Big Brother in its infancy. This question is "what kinds of games/challenges do you like to see in Forum Games like The Challenge and Big Brother?". Stuff like riddles, scavenger hunts, flash games or YPPY. Which do you prefer overall?
For me, challenges are the best if you keep them on the site. The most recent POV in Big Brother, the scavenger hunt in The Challenge, Codenames in The Challenge and quick games like 10 are the best examples I can find. Also, incorporating teamwork in these challenges can add a fun and exciting twist.
For the difficulty of these challenges, I like it when they are very difficult, but are also progress-based (all the progress you have made is kept). Because of this, flash games, which force you to restart whenever you lose, are always frustrating for me.
Finally, I'd like to note that I always prefer objective challenges to subjective ones. That way, everything is guaranteed to be fair and conflict-free.

Celever

Wheeeee~
First game of each round?
I couldn't help but bring it up. :p
That's what I meant, haha :p. Each round has 2 games approved, and right know we open apps up again during the second game, but I was wondering if it would be better to do it during the first game. That way it gives more time to balance etc. for the first game of the next round of applications.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Each round has 2 games approved, and right know we open apps up again during the second game, but I was wondering if it would be better to do it during the first game. That way it gives more time to balance etc. for the first game of the next round of applications.
I like it as it is. If you force someone to wait too long for their game to start, they'll get less excited for their game.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
I like it as it is as well. The less wait, the better.

With how long it takes a mafia game to run, you should be able to finish it in the ~two month window between apps and start date. It's honestly not that hard once you know what you're doing. I can make a setup in an afternoon. :p

Professor Palutena

The Queen
This is a reminder that mafia apps will close in a week. Looking forward to seeing who else in our community is interested in hosting.

Celever

Wheeeee~
The next mafia hosts have been decided once again!

giphy.gif
(spooooooooooky
This is a mighty special round, too! Turns out there were 3 inseparably amazing applications, so for the first time ever, three games are being approved for the next leg of games! It simply wouldn't have been fair to reject one of them. :p

Therefore....
Mafia XLI will be hosted by:
Mafia XLII will be hosted by:
AND Mafia XLIII will be hosted by:

Congratulations for all of your successful applications! Hosts will get PMs with reasons why their apps weren't approved this round, though in fairness anyone who wasn't literally flawless wasn't successful. :p

Professor Palutena

The Queen
That nicely transitions into our next announcement:

With The Challenge: Season 7 now over, we're looking for people interested in hosting Season 8. Content you will need to PM Forum Games staff includes:
- The number of players in your game, and the number of initial teams, if relevant.
- The flavor/theme of your game, should you choose to have one.
- Your Co-Host, if you have one. First time hosts of The Challenge are required to have one.
- Your current availability, and, more importantly, your future availability
- Hosting experience on the forums, and your experience with The Challenge.
- Any other relevant public info about your game

Drafts of the OP are not necessary, but you're welcome to include them if you wish.

Apps will close on the 25th, giving you two weeks. Barring exceptional circumstances, only one host will be chosen given how long these games are.

Please PM your app to the forum games staff: @bbninjas, @Celever, @Jabberwock, @Juliacoolo, @Luispipe8 and @Professor Palutena.

Celever

Wheeeee~
And time for the third announcement in a row (hooray! :U)

@Jabberwock, a long-time player of forum games, is now officially a part of the forum games moderation team! You may have noticed his name was included in the The Challenge apps post above, but we didn't actually announce it, so I figured we should embarrass him by making a spectacle. :L

Glad to have you on board buddy! :D

Professor Palutena

The Queen
The next The Challenge Host has been decided!

giphy.gif

Not that it was hard because only one app was submitted. :p

Your next hosts are:
DRUMROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL]
Professor Palutena and PG24

...wait, that's me!

The next game should be up soon-ish. Please stay tuned!

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
I've been wanting to do some kind of online Amazing Race for a while now. I'd love to try and figure out how to do one on here if anyone would be interested in trying to figure it out with me :)

Celever

Wheeeee~
I'm excited to announce I will be hosting the next edition of Convicted! I've asked a few questions in this thread, so please answer them if you're interested in taking part. :)

And you should all be interested in taking part. Because it will be fun. So answer them >:U

Epist

Captain Clamps
Advanced Member
Hoping this is the right place to post this, here goes....

I really enjoy the game count to ten, but was trying to think of a way to spice it up while not making it too complicated. Here is my first draft of Instructions. I could really use some feedback, thanks in advance!

Count to 20 – Team Battle!
Instructions

Players take turns saying 1-3 numbers starting at 1. Numbers can only increase, not decrease. There will also be a certain order to who says the numbers when which will be announced after sign-ups. The player who says 20 (or is put into a position where they are forced to) is out of the game. Once a player is out, the game continues, but that person can no longer post in the thread.

Players will be divided into two equal teams; Goal is to remove all members of the opposite team from the game. Teams will be interspersed evenly (1-2-1-2 and so on)

After each time a player take their turn, a random number generator will be used by the host to see if any special rules will apply to the next player’s turn:

0 - 59 - No special rules in effect
60 – 69 – Player may count up to 4 numbers
70 – 79 - Player may only count 1 or 2 numbers instead of up to 3
80 – 84 - Player can choose one team member (excluding themselves) to gain immunity against one “20” (not revealed until it happens)
85 - 89 – Order Chaos – After this player’s count, the next player is randomly selected from all other players
90 – 94 – After this player’s count, they will switch teams
95-99 – Player may count up to 5 numbers
100 – Player gains immunity against one “20” and may count up to 5 numbers