Flygon Ex d vs. Dragonite Ex d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalion

Heavy Metal Trainer
I searched a lot, but the doubt continues!:(
Flygon Ex d or Dragonite Ex d?

I need to chose only one, what's better for a cool and competitive deck?
(Using lot's of bench manipulation like Cyclone energy/Warppoint)
Both has no weakness, 150hp and powerfull attacks, can use techs like Fearow/Nidoqueen/Altaria Ex d/Latilock/Rayquaza Ex d(Spread more damage)

Flygon = Fast attack(3 energy), damage spreader, energy boost (Flygon from HP) all in one evolution line. Take advantage from Phoebes Stadium for free retreat. With Flygon d (HP) don't need Altaria Ex d for energy boost. Can spread little, but fast damage.

Dragonite = 2 attacks (one fast other slow), lock non supporter trainers, dragonair d (DS) can discard energy. Need Altaria Ex d for energy boost, or can lock the game to build the necessary time to Dragon Roar. Dragon Roar ignores damage reduction (some bodies, metal energy, etc...)
Can spread great, but slow damage.

Anyone can help me to chose one, and other tech suggestions?
Something like Dragonite + Weezing (Dx) + Low Pressure System can work for big damage spread? or Flygon + Sableye (PK)/Claydoll (HP)/(any good psy) + Phoebes Stadium for free retreat for all?

Flygon ex d, reason's:

Drag Ex d Sucks
Flygon Ex d is Archetype
Flygon Ex d is Just VERY Good
Drag Ex d almost get's owned by WP

Usually Flygon ex d > Dragonite ex d ... Flygon's body & attack are just better most of the time. Flygon is also helped in that it has more versions (5 flygons vs 2 dragonites) & that it's traditional partner, Flygon d (hp) combos really well with lots of other delta cards.

Dragonite ex d isn't a bad card by any means, but it's just not as good by itself. Dragonite makes a better Metanite tech than Flygon for instance.

I played a Flygon ex d deck during States & it just rocked. I'm playing a Dragonite ex d deck at home right now. The latter isn't bad by any means, but the Flygon was better.

wow! Thanks for all opinions!
Flygon hype isn't only for popularity or brute force, but for synergy with his own evolution line and other cards. Nice!

Anyone to vote for Dragonite?

Current score:
Flygon 3 - Dragonite 0

and...

...what's the name of Dragonite/Nidoqueen deck? Drag Queen!?

Sorry folks! I think Draggy ex d is better by a short margin. Yes Flygon has a good Body and can power up w/ Flygon HP, but there's still CC out there, and all those positives of the 10 extra damage and Energy goes down the drain...unless you've got Windstorm. Draggy is like a stronger Manectric ex, and does 80 damage AUTOMATICALLY due to the damage counters.

I vote dragonite.

Dragonite's Deafen is just too good to let go unnoticed. The ability to stop rare candy and control the field with your own stadium clearly gives you an advantage.

I do agree that flygon is a good card. 3 energy for 80 + possible 10 to bench Pokémon compared to dragonites 80 damage counters and can possibly do double knockouts. They are very close, but dragonite's deafen puts it just above flygon. It's a fast disrupting attack. It's type gives deafen trouble against metanite due to resistance. There are ways to get passed that though.

Combination- Flygon wins on that. In one evolution line, flygon ex gets supported by flygon HP. That speeds it up nicely. Flygon really shouldnt go with anything else. With anything else, it's just too slow. Using a stage 2 to speed up your deck isnt right. The best thing Dragonite can go with is Altaria... and that's what my deck is. Im not saying AltaNite is bad, it's just a little harder to set up. But it helps that Altaria ex is a stage one... meaning it doesnt need rare candy. They are still pretty close, but like I said, Flygon wins on that.

Overall, Dragonite wins... (I miss blastoise ex)

-Mystic-

I would vote, but I can't. They are just too evenly matched to choose a winner for me.
Flygon has some of the best combos and decks built around them in the game. It could just be with Flygon (Hp) or Altaria Ex (Df), or made a bit more complicated but, as some may argue, more powerful with a damage spreader such as Jolteon Ex (Ds). The Poké-Pody makes a newer, if weaker version of Rock Lock available, plus the attack is just so deadly. As if all of that wasn't enough, it can also have no retreat cost with Phoebe's Stadium in play.
But that's the thing, it needs to be comboed, otherwise it'll take 3 turns to power up, and won't be able to use Psychic Pulse at it's best even with Sand Damage.
Dragonite Ex is powerful as well. Deafen can cause a turn 2 trainer lock that is actually, IMO, a bit more powerful in the long run than Mewtric in this format (good deck, but lost power after the rotation). Dragon Roar can KO 2 or 3 (if you are lucky) Pokémon in one turn, much like Psychic Pulse, but with none of the damage on the defending Poké being wasted, plus it's damage COUNTERS, so can get round everything, including this cards' biggest killer, grass resistence. This card can be comboed (Flygon (Hp) or Altaria Ex (Df) like Flygon), but doesn't rely on it as much as Flygon.
However much I go on about the great attacks, you can't just but help think that there is something wrong with it, and you'd be right. The thing, the attacks are too weak. Trainer lock is great sure, but a Metal Pokémon with 1 Metsl attached won't care too much as it'll KO Dragonite eventually. The damage is quite bad for the energies as well. I mean, some non-Ex stage ones can do the same amount of damage (possibly more) for the same energy cost (but without the cool trainer lock). Dragon Roar is great, but is mainly a distraction from the main attack that many players will stupidly use more often. You are now a threat to the Metal Pokémon, sure, but you then allow them to get set up. The additional effect is also great, but if you don't KO them, you would actually be better off using Flygon Ex as it does the same amount of damage, foe less energy cost and with an effect that will probably end up working.
OK, I know I said more about Dragonite Ex than Flygon EX, but that's because many players know about Flygon more than Dragonite.
To sum up, they are both fantastic cards with drawbacks, which make them equal.
Now, as I'm sure you will be pleased to hear, I will shut up for this post.

i have to vote for flygon ex, not because the card itself is all that much better (like you i think they are very close in nastiness) but because it seems that it is easier to find a good second supporting evolution line for the flygons than the dragonites.

Jiggly13, you definately said a LOT about Draggy, but it's not like this is a bad thing, but Flygon may be overused too. IF Draggy can Trainer Lock fast and you can smack down a CC, you can easily get around Sand Damage.

The problem is that MewTric shot for the T2 trainer disable & could keep it up more easily because the deck relied on stage 1s & basics.

Dragonite ex d is a stage 2 & needs more resources to support it. If you go for the T2 lock then, more than likely, you don’t get your own setup. On the other hand if you setup with Castaform, or just have a bad start, and don’t start locking until T3+ then you loose a lot of the benefit of trainer lock IMHO. It’s a catch-22.

It’s interesting in that the DF Flygon and Dragonite combo with man of the same things.

* Their own non-ex deltas for energy acceleration & safeguard busting.

* Fearow d / Nidoqueen d – both benefit from a searcher for deck consistency

* Jolteon ex – adding 10 points of damage to all of the bench helps both cards

* Techs like Mew*, Mew d, Ray ex d to add versatility

Flygon does better with Chimecho d & Dragonite doesn’t need him as much. But overall you could take a lot of good Flygon lists and swap Draggy in and do OK.

But then you look at the metagame. There are a lot of grass resistant metal types out there right now and very few grass weak ones. On the other hand there are a LOT of psychic weak pokemon and very few psychic resistant ones in regular play.

Here are the matchups against some of the various state winning decks

VS Metanite ... Dragonite hits resistance big time.
VS Delta ... Flygon hits weakness.
VS MSN ... Dragonite hits resistance & Flygon hits weakness.
VS Bandoom ... I’ll call it even though I think that Flygon has a slight edge.
VS Kingdra swarm ... Slight edge to Dragonite here.

Ultimately I think that this is what gives Flygon the edge. It’s slightly faster for 80+ damage and has better matchups.

Different oppinions! Nice! I like creative ways other them "the current best deck". All oppinions are wellcome!

Dragonite Strikes Back!

Current score:
Flygon 5 - Dragonite 3

Flygon is the "all ass kicker"? Dragonite have a Great Hidden (underated) potential? Thanx again for all!

As of right now I think I have to give the slight edge to Flygon Ex d.  True, it has to be combined with other cards to make it work the best, but what pokemon out there doesn't?  Another important fact is that those combos are already present.  If Jotleon Ex or Flygon d didns't exist then maybe Dragonite Ex d would get the edge, but they do so Flygon Ex d is slightly stronger here.  Dragonite Ex d is a pretty nice card, though but my main problem is it's damage potential.  Dragonite Ex d can do 80 damage max even taking weakness into the picture, 40x2 for Grass weak pokemon down to 0 against a Metagross d or or Dragonite d with only one Metal on them or it can do 8 damage counters which can't be modified at all, but they do bypass Metal.  Basically, Dragon Roar doesn't OHKO any of the current mainstays in format and Deafen can be completely nullified by the deck hurt most by it, unless you combo deafen with Cursed Stone which seems to be the best option with Dragonite EX d, but it causes it's own problems trying to figure out what else to use in the deck.  Flygon Ex d's only attack does 80 or 160 to the many Psychic weak pokemon out there.  Not only that but between Sand Damage and Pulse bench damage Flygon Ex d puts most of the formats current mainstays in OHKO range as they come up.

Right now, Flygon Ex d is a bit stronger that Draggonite Ex d, but I don't think we have seen the right combination of cards put together to truely make Dragonite Ex d shine yet.

Dragonite ex, though I'm no Pokemon card genius:
* Dragonite is one of my favorite Pokemon.:p
* Flygon is way overused.
* Dragon Roar: Nothing's wasted. Don't you hate it when you have overkill that, if had hit another one of your opponent's Pokemon, would win the game?
* Deafen: Like Manectric ex's Disconnect, it screws rare candy, Windstorm, Stadiums, Energy Removal 2, etc....
* I'd prefer grass type to psychic type.
* Dragonite can hit benched evolved Pokemon, Flygon can't.
So there, but Flygon is still really sweet.:cool:

At this time i can see Flygon is overused (not on my region), but has better combinations than Dragonite. I hope to see future good combinations with Dragonite! Draggy will rox!

Current score:
Flygon 6 - Dragonite 4

Thnx again!

I understand why a lot of you choose flygon... but with shiftry ex and the psychic resistance, you arent going to do so good.

Trainer lock is great sure, but a Metal Pokémon with 1 Metsl attached won't care too much as it'll KO Dragonite eventually.
You are now a threat to the Metal Pokémon,
Why do you keep mentioning metal pokemon with metal energy? Dragon roar gets passed the metal energy, pokebodies, pokepowers, resistance, weakness and some trainer cards! WP and Safeguard is the only things that stop it. Other than that, metal pokemon are nothing but a bump in the road. They cant hope to take down draggy as easily as you are mentioning.

This thread got me thinking last night. I wonder if Morrowak d might be a good play with Draggy. He has no bodies or powers so he fits in the Cursed Stone decks and even lets you add Cessation Crystal to the mix ... but mostly he is anti-metal. Wak + Solid Rage could OHKO Metanite pokemon that have one metal energy and he OHKOs Steelix ex even without it. Additionally his first attack can do 20 to benched pokemon setting up the double or triple KO from Dragon Breath.

WP and Safeguard is the only things that stop it.

WP? People still use WP? I guess I'm really out of style then. I screwed my WP's on useless decks.
Safeguard is always abused, but it stops Flygon too.

Trainer lock is great sure, but a Metal Pokémon with 1 Metsl attached won't care too much as it'll KO Dragonite eventually.
Why do you keep mentioning metal pokemon with metal energy?

Dragon Roar takes awhile to charge up, while Deafen is quick and to the point. Although Dragon Roar is the real point of Dragonite, it's Deafen that can sweep obnoxious Pokemon early in the game, AND screw the rare candys that actually get his competitor, Flygon, into the game (usually). And metal Pokemon (with metal energy) screw Dragonite for awhile, until you can Dragon Roar.

I voted for Dragonite (my vote has already been counted), however, you're unconsciously saying that Dragonite is, like, twice as good as Flygon or something, which is completely untrue. No offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back