Five Zygarde Formes, Including Zygarde Perfect Forme, Revealed in 'CoroCoro!'

I do wonder what's the deal with the "Ash Greninja", and how this form change will happen in the anime. Although this means Frogadier will evolve meaning he'll finally get the final form of a Water-type Pokemon that isn't Kingler.

Hel yeah, that's what I wanted! *---*

Zygarde taking on different forms for different stages of power.
Starting with simple single-cell-like creatures, turning into something common like a dog, then a majestic serpent and then the shadow overlord kaiju-mech-perfect-cell monster! BWAHAHAHAAHA

Nice :>

I figure that Zygardes forms could be inspired by Lokis children...
Loki in norse mythology, had 3 children.
-Fenrir the wolf
-Jormungandr the serpent
-Hel, a female being that is one half alive and one half dead
hel.png

"Hel in a reading can represent a time of simultaneous endings and beginnings, the point at which the circle is completed. She can also indicate integrity, as opposites unite to form a stronger whole"

EDIT: My full thoughts: http://pokehype.blogspot.si/2015/09/new-forms-for-zygarde.html

I hadn't thought about hel, but you might be correct; hel's meaning applied to zygarde could also work as bridging xerneas and yveltal's meanings.

Not to mention, extending zygarde with the offspring of loki explains why they made the baffling decision to also turn it into a dog. If you have jormungandr and want to get hel, it's only natural to also bring fenris to the table (his little cape is overdoing it, though, and it looks too lean for a monstrous wolf).

Now, that unfortunate dragon ball Z connection... goodness. The human-like form was logical, the pope hat is actually quite good, the color scheme leaves something to be desired (it's now all black with some green, instead of the rich color palette of xerneas and the spot-on color distribution of yveltal and zygarde). I think it's too buff, as well, and it has a tail and wings, so I would have preferred very much if they kept some of the serpent-ness of zygarde for the design.

With these news, I think we will only get one game now, not two (in spite of there being two moves available), and what I really hope now is that in it, you get zygarde core or dog early on (thus explaining why dog zygarde looks dog-like instead of wolf-like) and have to get around recovering zygarde cells to fight one of the legendaries (or both); that would be novel enough.

Wow...

Where do I start?

To get this out of the way real quick: That is not a Mega Greninja! That is Ash's Greninja disguising himself as Ash because it is... you guessed it: a Ninja, and disguise is what they do.

Now, I predicted this a long time ago. And by "this", I mean this flood of formes. Let me remind you:
Rayquaza when Emerald came out: 0 new formes
Giratina in Platinum: 1 new forme
Kyurem in BW2: 2 new formes
Zygarde in Z: 5! new formes (if the flat cell is actually supposed to be counted)
Guess in Gen 7 we'll have the 3rd mascot have like 10 formes or something...

About the designs... meh...
Mitja's post helped me appreciate the origin of the formes and why they are the way they are. The perfect Zygarde comparison to Hel makes total sense, as Xerneas & Yveltal are the pokémon of life and death and this Zygarde form shows coloration (I wouldn't say elements as I doubt there will fusion involved this time around) from both, so one half of it is the life part, while the other is the death part... Makes it look much cooler... That said:
I don't mind the blobs, they're like means to an end. The dog is just... why a freakin' dog? Like I said, after reading Mitja's post, it makes sense but for those who don't even suspect or know about such myths, it's like, why not a lizard, an amphibian, maybe even an insectoid... going from dog to serpent is just weird.
Still, what it looks to me is that the blobs and the Dog won't be actual obtainable pokémon in the game, due to the lack of data in corocoro unlike the perfect forme. This may be revealed later but if they revealed some data of the perfect forme, why not also specify the same details about the other 3. It seems they'll be more of anime caracters than actual game pokémon. btw, Notice how regular Zygarde, which is the 50% forme, has 5 back grills, and the dog forme is the 10% forme, so I don't know, you probably need 5 dogs to get the serpent Zygarde.

Now, the big bad monster... That thing is Perfect Cell (people always compared Pokémon and Digimon but ever since Mewtwo I belive GF actually prefered DBZ all the time) in concept and coloration; is Digimon Tamers' D-Reaper (also similar concept, that thing had multiple forms too); the Hel things that Mitja said, but also, to me, the whole freakin' Yggdrasil tree; a MegaZord/Transformer/wtv Mechanical thing comes to mind... all those things into one!
My only problem is: You know what this thing doesn't look like? A Dragon. You could argue its main body is similar to a bipedal dragon like Zekrom, but that head? That head is ugly af. In fact, none of the other formes look like dragons, but as I noticed, only this one was confirmed to be Dragon-type. Even the Ground-type, I never really understood what makes Zygarde a ground-type...
You know what else this thing doesn't look like? a Z. Although this is just me being picky now.

I just wonder why or how thing will play in the next game? Now I think we will actually only get a single game: Pokémon Z. I actually prefer it, if not for monetary reasons (I usually buy the 2 games of the pair, only having to buy 1 game is relieving).. and more DBZ puns.
But like, if we're supposed to still get 2 games, how would they make the 2 games with only 1 big forme? Either there are more formes coming (like 70%~ formes or something) or there is actually an even more powerful forme (like a Mega or something)... I had this idea, that since 6th gen is having all this talk about parallel worlds/universes, maybe Zygarde would reach this forme by combining 2 50% forme zygarde, but one from each world (an X world and a Y world)...
However, these possibilities don't really make much sense but for me, it also doesn't make much sense that they're revealing all these formes only because of the anime, with NO GAME actually announced and the next movie, where the perfect zygarde is supposed to be a major star, is still 10 months away. Also, this is supposed to debut in the Mega evolution special, yet it is not a Mega, so what's its exact relation with Mega Evolution?...
So, as it usually is, I'm inclined to believe that this is not all there is to it... because in the whole history of pokémon revelations, it never was.

Have they used Super Saiyans yet? I know we've got Freeza (Mewtwo) and now Cell (Zygarde), plus Infernape actually resembles the Journey to the West Son Goku, so I am starting to wonder. The sad part is mining DBZ isn't the worst place for Pokémon ideas, other than realizing a lot of said ideas were "inspired" by yet other stories. XD

Hel yeah, that's what I wanted! *---*

Zygarde taking on different forms for different stages of power.
Starting with simple single-cell-like creatures, turning into something common like a dog, then a majestic serpent and then the shadow overlord kaiju-mech-perfect-cell monster! BWAHAHAHAAHA

Nice :>

I figure that Zygardes forms could be inspired by Lokis children...
Loki in norse mythology, had 3 children.
-Fenrir the wolf
-Jormungandr the serpent
-Hel, a female being that is one half alive and one half dead
hel.png

"Hel in a reading can represent a time of simultaneous endings and beginnings, the point at which the circle is completed. She can also indicate integrity, as opposites unite to form a stronger whole"

EDIT: My full thoughts: http://pokehype.blogspot.si/2015/09/new-forms-for-zygarde.html

I love your explanation. It makes a lot of sense considering all the Norse influence that they've drawn from in this game. (Though some people deny it or think it's not explicit.
I actually named my character in Y, Fenris. :3
If what you suggest is correct with Zygarde being a meeting point between life and death, which I'm going to say you are right since his wings are blue and red, then I imagine you may have to fuse all 3 of the legendary to get the perfect form. I'm actually placing my bets on that being the case.
I'm also going to take it a step further and say that if Zygarde perfect has to appear in the next game, it will be because he has to protect the earth from something truly catastrophic, and most definitely man-made.
With Zygarde kind of representing this full circle concept though, I wonder what he represents for the franchise. I know everyone would disagree, but what if Zygarde's completion is some signal some kind of end? I'm very interested to see the storyline for the next game.

I don't know what to think of this anymore. I'll reserve my opinion until I've actually played through Z, which is gonna be a while in the future. I can merely hope they add a lot of content compared to X and Y.

Man, I was really hoping for a new generation, but a sequel to the current generation seems guaranteed now with how many current gen loose ends there are. Pokémon Go was a pleasant surprise, but I won't care for it if the game mechanics are dumbed down and there's no substantial tie in to the upcoming main games. I'm guessing Nintendo is slapping this game together as a last hurrah to Nintendo 3DS owners and saving generation 7 as an exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS. I also want a game with a difficulty setting, I've never had a Pokémon faint on me in game, much less come close to losing a match, so much for the dramatic battle music and presentation. Also the HM system needs to be removed or reformed among other now aging mechanics.

I doubt it'd be called Z. Look at perfect Zygarde. Its design has features akin to Xerneas (quad-symmetrical wings and horns, spectrum of colors on its chest) as well as Yveltal (the wing designs themselves being flat and elongated, along with another one serving as a tail), while still sort of resembling 50% Zygarde.

I'm betting on Pokemon XYZ. If it's a single version.

But putting perfect Zygarde on a game cover? This will be the first time we see something that doesn't even have actual eyes on a box. Interesting.

I don't mind the blobs, they're like means to an end. The dog is just... why a freakin' dog? Like I said, after reading Mitja's post, it makes sense but for those who don't even suspect or know about such myths, it's like, why not a lizard, an amphibian, maybe even an insectoid... going from dog to serpent is just weird.

well.. it's not hard to connect Zygarde with "underworld" symbolism, what with it being a serpent hidden deep in a cave observing the world from there.
And "dog"-creatures are quite popular in such myths. Hellhounds, Cerberus, Garmr...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellhound

so even without the specific connection I was drawing, it's not THAT big of a stretch for a dog-like creature to show up in the progression from single cell to that epic monstrosity I think.

Even the Ground-type, I never really understood what makes Zygarde a ground-type...
You know what else this thing doesn't look like? a Z. Although this is just me being picky now.

What is the Ground type in general even about in your view? What are at least somewhat distinct/unique aspects of it that it adds to a Pokemon?

...the pope hat is actually quite good...

the pope hat? do you mean the part above it's head? That's the second "wing" from the backside.

Z%2Bhexagons.png

Here you can see clearly what its head looks like. (ignore the circled hexagons)

Last edited:
I'm not feeling the new forms. they just... don't mesh well to me. They look kinda tacky, like they were added as an after thought. But that's just my opinion. The ash greninja though, I'm sure it's just Ash has been turned into a greninja.

I doubt it'd be called Z. Look at perfect Zygarde. Its design has features akin to Xerneas (quad-symmetrical wings and horns, spectrum of colors on its chest) as well as Yveltal (the wing designs themselves being flat and elongated, along with another one serving as a tail), while still sort of resembling 50% Zygarde.

But putting perfect Zygarde on a game cover? This will be the first time we see something that doesn't even have actual eyes on a box. Interesting.

well.. it's not hard to connect Zygarde with "underworld" symbolism, what with it being a serpent hidden deep in a cave observing the world from there.
And "dog"-creatures are quite popular in such myths. Hellhounds, Cerberus, Garmr...

so even without the specific connection I was drawing, it's not THAT big of a stretch for a dog-like creature to show up in the progression from single cell to that epic monstrosity I think.

What is the Ground type in general even about in your view? What are at least somewhat distinct/unique aspects of it that it adds to a Pokemon?

the pope hat? do you mean the part above it's head? That's the second "wing" from the backside.

Z%2Bhexagons.png

Here you can see clearly what its head looks like. (ignore the circled hexagons)
I suppose you make a lot of sense, i still am not feeling the designs though. They look tacky to me.

Have they used Super Saiyans yet? I know we've got Freeza (Mewtwo) and now Cell (Zygarde), plus Infernape actually resembles the Journey to the West Son Goku, so I am starting to wonder. The sad part is mining DBZ isn't the worst place for Pokémon ideas, other than realizing a lot of said ideas were "inspired" by yet other stories. XD

Super Saiyan=Mega Form

Yeah, I can see that; considering the colors of Zygarde's eyes are blue (X) and red (Y).

Sooooo...nobody is gonna comment on how there is also a Mega Sceptile behind Ash (which is also behind a Noivern)? I'm assuming they're both his...I could be wrong though...all of the other Pokemon on the poster belong to the trainers so unless the Mega Sceptile belongs to Alain, one could assume that Ash's Sceptile mega evolves, no?

Z%2Bhexagons.png

You mean the rainbow line on its chest is actually its mouth? and what looked like a face with badass, glowing angry eyes is actually his crown?

Let's make this clear... what looked like a gigantic megazord-voltron-mazinger thing is actually a football-shaped hunchback with a halloween pumpkin face and a silly crown, that does not even have the decency to be a pope hat?

gEUWfVO.png

This is it. This is the day when pokemon died.

Perfect zygarde shall be the pokemon vaniluxes and aromatisses point to, giggling, while he sits on a corner trying repeatedly, with an empty expression and just a slight thread of drool coming out of his mouth, to fit a cube on a circular hole.

Last edited:
Actually I think it is more Dusknoir like, in that it has both a clear had and a chest mouth. Still, would've liked it more if its head was at least a bit serpentine.

Actually I think it is more Dusknoir like, in that it has both a clear had and a chest mouth. Still, would've liked it more if its head was at least a bit serpentine.

Even that is a rehash from a concept that was actually good for dusknoir. It's creepy, it's otherworldly, it's a hole in his chest opening like a mouth, that doesn't take away from his actual face and fits the design.

I'm sure there's a better way to join zygarde's great design with the concept needed for hel; a naga, if you want to go that way, or to just give it tiny arms and legs and keep its head.

Not... a carved pumpkin and quasimodo with wings.

I'm in the same boat; but maybe because of its "Perfect" form, it ends up losing all of its serpentine-like features to attain it?

Damn, I am expecting a stat total of 700 to 720 for perfect forme, meaning this guy is on par with arceus.
But gawd it looks stupid. all five forms.

Back