News First 'The Best of XY' News, Reprinted Cards

ZeGlow

Aspiring Trainer
If this actually comes to the West, I would only admire the higher chances to get Shaymin. Perhaps Shaymin would make an appearance in a promo box like Jolteon?

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
....They're going to keep reprinting Shaymin until the end of time, aren't they?

As long as this set doesn't come to the US, they can reprint it in Japan till the cows come home. Great card...that needs to be retired from Standard play. That alone slows down a large percentage of great decks even if they reprint everything else.

normanc

Aspiring Trainer
Does no one remember CP4? The new stuff from this set has already been revealed for English promos. Why do people think that we're going to get any of the reprints?

Geevee

Collector
I cant wait to see this set. Its gonna be epic. Manaphy ex gonna get a reprint? strong card for water decks!

Clear

Birb is the Word
Does no one remember CP4? The new stuff from this set has already been revealed for English promos. Why do people think that we're going to get any of the reprints?
Because people tend to think if Japan get it, we get it.

I remember the same time last year, people calling me stupid and negative, for saying their precious Battle Compressor is reprinted, or Shaymin is reprinted, and they were jumping up and down like gullible children. It turns out that I was 500% correct, and that set never saw the light of day. Beedrill ex and Wobb BREAK, the only new cards got shove into big, expensive, rip off gift boxes.

Those same people cannot remember the same thing that happened a little ways before, losing it over this Best of XY set. We have confirmation and product images of M-Sharpedo/Camel, the redone FA reprints (Jolt, M-Manectric, Zygarde, M-Luke), and the reprints that got rolled over to Arena Deck, much like how they released Karen. Yet, they see these things, their next thought goes to "Shaymin lives for another format".

The Pokemon TCG community has been spoon fed by too much false positivity, cannot even handle disappointment, and fail to learn how to make educated guesses.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
lol why TPCi Why u do dis?

TPCi has nothing to do with this, this is the Japanese Pokemon TCG Lab or whatever the kids call it's doing...

But I severely doubt this is coming to International waters, sorry, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to be. This is most likely, as people have said before, to get Japanese players to get the cards that are a lot older and harder to get. We're probably getting anything new as promos, like the Zygarde/Jolteon/M-Luca/Mane/Sharpedo/Camerupt promos. Last time we kept so many cards in a format it ended up being a disaster full of Sabledonk and the likes. Although TPCi makes dumb decisions I don't think they hate us that much. Like the Mewt/Darkrai BA decks where we all thought they'd be promos and keep Mewtwo and Darkrai in forever, but they didn't. I think they at least to know to rotate stuff.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Because people tend to think if Japan get it, we get it.

I remember the same time last year, people calling me stupid and negative, for saying their precious Battle Compressor is reprinted, or Shaymin is reprinted, and they were jumping up and down like gullible children. It turns out that I was 500% correct, and that set never saw the light of day. Beedrill ex and Wobb BREAK, the only new cards got shove into big, expensive, rip off gift boxes.

Those same people cannot remember the same thing that happened a little ways before, losing it over this Best of XY set. We have confirmation and product images of M-Sharpedo/Camel, the redone FA reprints (Jolt, M-Manectric, Zygarde, M-Luke), and the reprints that got rolled over to Arena Deck, much like how they released Karen. Yet, they see these things, their next thought goes to "Shaymin lives for another format".

The Pokemon TCG community has been spoon fed by too much false positivity, cannot even handle disappointment, and fail to learn how to make educated guesses.

Try to remember though, that this set's purpose is to keep cards in rotation for another year. We'll still likely get these in the form of promos or strange reprints.

While the "Just because Japan got it, doesn't mean we'll get it" logic makes sense, and I 100% agree with you on that: This set's purpose is very specific. It wants to save things from rotation so they can still be used in the next format.

I won't even call this a positive thing because it makes the meta feel dull, and honestly: I'd be happy to be wrong, but with what I've said about this set's purpose - they'll still find a way to reprint these or keep the rotation very limited next year.

A shame to say, but this card game feels like a lost cause if they've turned their standard into such a mess with this.

Clear

Birb is the Word
Try to remember though, that this set's purpose is to keep cards in rotation for another year. We'll still likely get these in the form of promos or strange reprints.

While the "Just because Japan got it, doesn't mean we'll get it" logic makes sense, and I 100% agree with you on that: This set's purpose is very specific. It wants to save things from rotation so they can still be used in the next format.

I won't even call this a positive thing because it makes the meta feel dull, and honestly: I'd be happy to be wrong, but with what I've said about this set's purpose - they'll still find a way to reprint these or keep the rotation very limited next year.

A shame to say, but this card game feels like a lost cause if they've turned their standard into such a mess with this.

Feel free to disagree with me on this, but I think the purpose of Japan's reprints is actually the creed of their market. Unlike us in the west, with another card game that I play at least (JP Weiss Schwarz), players seldomly trade, and anything they are looking for, they usually head to a store or places like Yahoo Auctions. (JP prefers that over ebay, iirc)

For a game like Pokemon where all Players have a common deck engine (Weiss's main format limits to cards in the series) in order to prevent stores from doing price gouging on cards with demand, they do lots of reprints instead, which is why every year, they take the best cards they picked so that it is easier for them to be obtained by everyone in an effective price (the rates are not bad, but not common either) so that both the primary and secondary market can benefit from the product.

Also, keep in mind, and this have came up several times already, since Japan's format is now XY-on, and they do not do yearly rotations, what reprint's purpose actually is, is to keep certain desirable cards that are now 4 years old, much more easily obtainable from their smaller player base (compare to us in the west) Japan market.

This is why it causes so much confusion with us in the west. Japan's products are never tailored to our formats, since it never was in the first place. This is why NM was a huge sore last year's standard, or the absence of Tool Removal being a huge part of standard's gameplay right now.

For a format named standard, they sure don't give a whole lot of thought process into making it better to play in, may be because our rotation rules were never designed like that in the first place.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Feel free to disagree with me on this, but I think the purpose of Japan's reprints is actually the creed of their market. Unlike us in the west, with another card game that I play at least (JP Weiss Schwarz), players seldomly trade, and anything they are looking for, they usually head to a store or places like Yahoo Auctions. (JP prefers that over ebay, iirc)

For a game like Pokemon where all Players have a common deck engine (Weiss's main format limits to cards in the series) in order to prevent stores from doing price gouging on cards with demand, they do lots of reprints instead, which is why every year, they take the best cards they picked so that it is easier for them to be obtained by everyone in an effective price (the rates are not bad, but not common either) so that both the primary and secondary market can benefit from the product.

Also, keep in mind, and this have came up several times already, since Japan's format is now XY-on, and they do not do yearly rotations, what reprint's purpose actually is, is to keep certain desirable cards that are now 4 years old, much more easily obtainable from their smaller player base (compare to us in the west) Japan market.

This is why it causes so much confusion with us in the west. Japan's products are never tailored to our formats, since it never was in the first place. This is why NM was a huge sore last year's standard, or the absence of Tool Removal being a huge part of standard's gameplay right now.

For a format named standard, they sure don't give a whole lot of thought process into making it better to play in, may be because our rotation rules were never designed like that in the first place.

Well I mean, I'm not disagreeing - but I'm saying that if the purpose is to use these for worlds next year then that's all there is to it. Wouldn't be the first time we got same art reprints (Zekrom EX/Reshiram EX)

I honestly agree that our standard format is a mess. They can barely manage one, what makes them think they can manage two? Making it harder/more expensive to obtain cards is also a problem.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Are people missing that they are picking cards to save from rotation? Based on that alone it hard to say they wont release this here.

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
It's all money. Expanded is where it is at. Standard is a super fun format right now since there is big disruption to the meta with each set, but my wallet is crying. Expanded will see shake ups also with these new sets, why shouldn't I be able to play the cards I spent so long collecting? If standard is going to be different, stop reprinting the same cards and let a new meta evolve .

Spidryk

Aspiring Trainer
So if a card is reprinted, like Shaymin for example, does that mean any Shaymin card is valid for play or does it have to be the Shaymin from the XY reprint series? I am new to the game and not sure how something like that would work.

wonderful_whismur

The most wonderful whismur in the world
So if a card is reprinted, like Shaymin for example, does that mean any Shaymin card is valid for play or does it have to be the Shaymin from the XY reprint series? I am new to the game and not sure how something like that would work.

As long as the wording is exactly the same, you could use cards from any series.