News First 'The Best of XY' News, Reprinted Cards

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
I would like to see this here in the US. I know that people aren't happy about some things that might be making a comeback, but if they reprint things like VS Seeker, Lysandre, etc. that are critical to the format, it will make things worth it. I doubt they'd reprint format-breaking cards like Siesmitoad/Night March.

Clear

Birb is the Word
See, if zero of the new stuff that comes in the best of XY set goes into the gift boxes/promos, then what you say actually holds water. However, that M-Lucario Full Art with Full Art Jolteon, etc. those are the cards due for the best of XY set. The Sycamore and TM from the Best of XY Set has new art, so they put it in the Battle Arena Deck.

Back about a year, people were also psyched for that Shaymin ex reprint in that reprint set too, which, I should add, did not happen, since all they did is put Wobb BREAK, and Beedrill in special gift boxes. This is the same move, don't be so gullible in believing in PCI more than once in your life.

Besides~ why would they put Shaymin-ex as a promo? They have better things to do, like putting in filler PoGo garbage gift boxes for the kids!

Gift Boxes are the cheapest way to make a buck. Use existing (bad card) assets, have an intern screw around in photoshop for a hour for the box art, and then slap a 35-40$ price tag on it for the kiddies to stare at Wal-Mart for so they beg their parents to buy it.

It is much better than actually making a new set, create 4-5 assets of packs/boxes, put all the new (reprint) cards on the printers, and then watch it go slooooow for 3$ a pack. That actually takes work to do! They cannot have that~

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Here's how I see it:
English-Japan
SM1=SM1
SM2=SM2=SM1+ (We all think)
SM3=Best of XY (SM3?)+SM3
(I haven't seen anything on a Japanese SM3)

Purrloin

I don't think the west will get this. Like others have pointed out, they've already put some of the cards into other boxes; and unlike the west, Japan has no Expanded to fall back on.

That said, if by some awful miracle this set is released outside of Japan, I will likely quit competitive play altogether until a time when a real rotation occurs. Or we could band together here and create an "Actual Standard" format. :p

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
In my opinion, reprints are not necessary. I always like new and exciting ways to play the game without reusing the same cards over and over. Give players other options to attack or draw cards, etc. Yes sometimes reprints are nice, guess it depends on the card, but why do a rotation when all you're doing is reprinting cards from the rotation and giving players an easy way out instead of using their brain and trying to think of ways of winning.

xaej806

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I would like to see this here in the US. I know that people aren't happy about some things that might be making a comeback, but if they reprint things like VS Seeker, Lysandre, etc. that are critical to the format, it will make things worth it. I doubt they'd reprint format-breaking cards like Siesmitoad/Night March.

That's just it, though. Those cards (VS Seeker, Lysandre) are critical to THIS format. THIS format that we've been living in for years. Believe it or not, there have been YEARS when VS Seeker wasn't legal. When Sycamore/Juniper wasn't the staple draw. When the deck choices weren't just A) Item Lock or B) Your solid thud machine of color-choice.

I'm not saying those cards are bad, or bad for the game even, I'm just saying it's time for a change. The game has played pretty much exactly the same since the BW era began. There were so many cool eras before that. Make stuff like the HGSS era again, or the Platinum/SP era, or DP-LA, or Holon/Delta, or --heaven forbid-- innovate and make some whole new mechanics and make things interesting!

For example, what would the game be like without Lysandre? Well, the player going second could have a viable chance at coming back besides hoping his opponent whiffs something. Lysandre just rewards the player who gets off to the faster start the same way Catcher did pre-errata. I mean yeah, at least it's a Supporter, so there is some limitation, but it's still just the rich getting richer in terms of gamestate.

Refreshing change idea? An item card that yanks, but requires that you're down on prizes to play it, similar to Pow! Hand Extension from years ago.

How about a new staple draw style? It doesn't even necessarily HAVE to stay a Supporter (think back to Claydol or Pidgeot days), but if we're going to stick with Supporters as main-draw, how about something like: "Draw a card for each of your remaining prizes". OR "Place 1 or 2 cards from your hand on the bottom of your deck and draw until you have 7 cards in hand."

Better yet, we could rely on Pokemon-based draw, and use cool resource-gathering supporters like Castaway or Cyrus's Conspiracy. Maybe something like "Search your deck for a Stadium, Supporter, and Tool". Or something. Idk I'm literally spitballing off the top of my head. They have teams of designers whose job it is to innovate and keep the game fresh and interesting and honestly, it feels like they've been on paid vacation for years.

Nyora

A Cat
Night March, Toad, Trevenant, Xerosic, ahh.. the good ol days..

JK, I hope we don't get these reprinted. We do NOT need Toad and Trev back. Please no. Also, this means that Yveltal will stay alive again if it is reprinted!

Lycodrake

Aspiring Trainer
Hopefully not something we'll see in an English release. I only returned to the game to maybe have fun running Sceptile-EX/Ariados or Zygarde-EX/Carbink BREAK, not to see decks that had rotated out get recycled for another...year? Year and a half? Ugh.

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
I really hope they don't bring vileplume from xy back into rotation as part of this series it would be nice to see it go.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
I really hope they don't bring vileplume from xy back into rotation as part of this series it would be nice to see it go.

This would be the only card I'd like to stay, since I'd love to play the grass trevenant poltergeist deck. ;)

@xaej806: I remeber the format pre BW, oh the good-old-days, where there was no supreme supporter, stage 2 pokemon where viable and you had a much harder, but better rotation.
You speak excactly what I agree on is wrong in this gane right now!

If I'm correct and N is still legal, he has been played since 2011!
Yeah, since 6! years a card hasn't been cut, he could have finished two university degrees in this time. 0.o
Talking about rotation, changing meta etc. xD

Last edited:

Arneboy11

A Mega Absol Trainer!
Advanced Member
I'm actually hoping they don't bring this set to us... :/ A new, fresh format is always nice to have!