Favorite Pokemon Card Art

I loved all of the work that Masakazu Fukuda did during the HS era, it was very clear and the colors were very vibrant, there are many more artists that I love though (Kagemaru Himeno, Midori Harada, Ryo Ueda and Shizrow are really baws)

Hironobu Toshiba is one of my favorites in the older cards since it looks like Ken Sugimori's style but in cooler poses. I like old Ken cards, but I can't stand Ken Sugimori cards anymore :(.

I love Sugimori art when he draws all the scene, i.e. the Pokémon/character AND the background. Alternatively, I dislike those in wich they just paste Ken's art in a cheap background and call it a day.

Example:
Good:
82-rotom.jpg

Bad:
6-lucario.jpg

Gengar LV.X.
I doubt anything else is even going to come close for me. It's Shizurow (my favorite artist) at his finest.

I also like Shizurow, but not as much as other since I think 2D cards just look nicer. I don't like most of the HGSS card art for some reason, though...

Cooltrainer Alan said:
I also like Shizurow, but not as much as other since I think 2D cards just look nicer. I don't like most of the HGSS card art for some reason, though...
The HG-SS art is really lame to me too for some reason. One of my favorite artists would have to be kawayoo, his art always impresses me. I especially like the Walrein he did. Plus his name sounds like kawaii.
desu desu desu
Tomokazu Komiya is also a really really good artist.

Meatheart said:
The HG-SS art is really lame to me too for some reason. One of my favorite artists would have to be kawayoo, his art always impresses me. I especially like the Walrein he did. Plus his name sounds like kawaii.
desu desu desu

Kawayoo drew garchomp C. that card is awesome. Did he also do the Electivire from one of the HGSS sets?

Edit: Nvm, Its not him. then who did?

There are so many amazing cards out there, it's hard to list all of my favorites. So instead, here are the ones that come to mind at the moment:

ar1-arceus.jpg

dp53-arceus-lv.x.jpg

94-arceus-lv.x.jpg

ar5-arceus.jpg

For obvious reasons.
3-heatran.jpg

My favorite Heatran card.
http://pokebeach.com/scans/gym-challenge/14-rocket's-mewtwo.jpg
(IMG tags aren't working...) When I was little, I adored this card's art (and the fact it had three attacks). To this day, it's still one of my top 3 favorite pieces of Mewtwo art.
7-ho-oh.jpg

16-deoxys-normal.jpg

My favorite Ho-Oh and Deoxys cards.
9-lugia.jpg

One of my favorite card illustrations of all time. It's so simple, yet so perfect.
107-rayquaza-star.jpg

Such an awesome card.

DNA said:
Meatheart said:
Now I know you're trolling.
trolling
no
But really, I'm not "trolling"; The art in those cards, while it is very grotesque, is some of my favorite Pokemon art. It's just like the art in the Dragon Ball series. I find that art very grotesque but I still love it.

Yeah. I would much rather have more Tomokazu cards in place of the bland CGI art that plagues modern sets, to be perfectly honest.

If only that were true.
Tomokazu art does not fall under the category of "so bad it's good". It falls under the category of "so bad it's nightmare fuel".

Differing art style is no excuse for drawing terribly and not being neat.

I like the 3D model art on Full Arts and Cards that have the art outside of the box (EX, Lv.X) but it works in 2d Also (Star pokemon)

DNA said:
If only that were true.
Tomokazu art does not fall under the category of "so bad it's good". It falls under the category of "so bad it's nightmare fuel".

Differing art style is no excuse for drawing terribly and not being neat.

k
I actually like his art, so whatever. We can agree to disagree.
bacon said:
Yeah. I would much rather have more Tomokazu cards in place of the bland CGI art that plagues modern sets, to be perfectly honest.

I so agree. How can people actually think that this:
terrakion-noble-victories-nvi-73-312x429.jpg
is better than this?
LightSlowbroNeoDestiny51.jpg

...I actually like that Terrakion pose. It's one of the few 5ban Graphics cards I like.
It's also probably the only one I like.

DNA said:
...I actually like that Terrakion pose. It's one of the few 5ban Graphics cards I like.

Well, you get the point. 5ban makes bad art except for the full arts and those are only good because of the flashy backgrounds.

http://pokebeach.com/scans/ex-deoxys/74-slugma.jpg

(I stink at the internet)

This guy is just fun.

Meatheart said:
DNA said:

Well, you get the point. 5ban makes bad art except for the full arts and those are only good because of the flashy backgrounds.

The full-arts are actually worse, but I get your point.

Back