Faking is illegal?!

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
That is completely racist. You could have left the "Philippino" part out of that post and made the exact same point. Completely rude and unnecessary.

Although it doesn't validate it, the first response was automated and the second one might have been as well.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
A proxy is a representative, anything that represents a certain card.

At our league they even just say like at the beginning of the match "Zubat is Crobat G, ok?" So Zubat is a Crobat G proxy.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Teal said:
A proxy is a representative, anything that represents a certain card.

At our league they even just say like at the beginning of the match "Zubat is Crobat G, ok?" So Zubat is a Crobat G proxy.
^Teal is correct. A printout of the actual card is considered a proxy, but a proxy is just anything that is used in place of the real thing.

Most leagues would allow proxies, so I think you'd be fine just using your own kind of proxies there.

And the guy got arrested for trying to sell his playmats - I think he was selling them for $10 apiece or something. He was trying to make a profit on something that used someone else's intellectual property - which is illegal.
Just clarifying.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
JWittz asked Pokémon once if he can sell playmats (with Pokémon stuff), and they said no. Did the arrest happen after that? Just curious.

DNA

Advanced Member
Teal said:
JWittz asked Pokémon once if he can sell playmats (with Pokémon stuff), and they said no. Did the arrest happen after that? Just curious.
I think it happened sometime in 2008-9, but I honestly don't remember. It was quite a while ago, however.

Pikachu!

Aspiring Trainer
Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
^Teal is correct. A printout of the actual card is considered a proxy, but a proxy is just anything that is used in place of the real thing.

Most leagues would allow proxies, so I think you'd be fine just using your own kind of proxies there.

And the guy got arrested for trying to sell his playmats - I think he was selling them for $10 apiece or something. He was trying to make a profit on something that used someone else's intellectual property - which is illegal.
Just clarifying.

Someone was selling a Real Epic Mewtwo EX (Custom) for 50$ on ebay. Hopefully a Kid Didnt think it was Real, spent their allowance on it and got Ripped. I mean it was very cool and all, and it does take quite a long time to Make a card, but If I was the Person selling that Card, It would go for 10 Dollars At Most.

What if You Home Made the Mats, then Drew on the Mats, then Sold them? Is it still Illegal because The Person is Drawing Pokemon on it or No?

DNA

Advanced Member
I actually saw that Mewtwo. The title was a bit misleading, even though it did plainly say "Orica" in it. I'd say it was worth $10, yeah.

What if You Home Made the Mats, then Drew on the Mats, then Sold them? Is it still Illegal because The Person is Drawing Pokemon on it or No?
I think the answer to that is: Yes, for the reason you just gave.

Pikachu!

Aspiring Trainer
I actually saw that Mewtwo. The title was a bit misleading, even though it did plainly say "Orica" in it. I'd say it was worth $10, yeah.

I think the answer to that is: Yes, for the reason you just gave.

Well that stinks, they are only Promoting Pokemon, the rest of the Property is theirs sorta. Nintendo should Be Happy. People are Promoting them for free.

Flame Claw

Blue, dressed in black
^But they're making money from a derivative work. Nintendo could grant permission (which would be through a legally binding deal) which would involve them earning royalties off the back of sales - but if this deal doesn't exist (which it wouldn't in the case of some guy off the internet) then it is illegal.

the rest of the Property is theirs sorta.

No, it wouldn't be. For example: Pikachu is a character owned by TPC/Nintendo. No matter how many hours and no matter how much hard work I put into a piece of art, if said art depicts Pikachu, I would need permission to generate revenue from said piece of art.

Pikachu!

Aspiring Trainer
This is clearly not promoting them for free.

Nope, did not mean it like that, They arent selling them for free, but They are giving Nintendo a Promotion For free.

DNA

Advanced Member
Pikachu! said:
Nope, did not mean it like that, They arent selling them for free, but They are giving Nintendo a Promotion For free.

Yeah, but there are other less detrimental ways to get free publicity. Plentiful methods like that already exist, and Nintendo is aware of them. It becomes illegal when someone is trying to make a profit off of it, since they are, like Flame Claw said, using a derivative work.

Look 3 posts up from this one about what Flame Claw said.

Pikachu!

Aspiring Trainer
Flame Claw said:
^But they're making money from a derivative work. Nintendo could grant permission (which would be through a legally binding deal) which would involve them earning royalties off the back of sales - but if this deal doesn't exist (which it wouldn't in the case of some guy off the internet) then it is illegal.

No, it wouldn't be. For example: Pikachu is a character owned by TPC/Nintendo. No matter how many hours and no matter how much hard work I put into a piece of art, if said art depicts Pikachu, I would need permission to generate revenue from said piece of art.

Haha I didnt Mean that, the Rest of The Property (The Mats, etc are their Property) But the Pokemon are Nintendos

koekie715

Aspiring Trainer
it is ilegal if you say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Full rights are by Koekie715©
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but not if you say:

|Used sprites are from Nintendo©

Pikachu!

Aspiring Trainer
koekie715 said:
it is ilegal if you say:

but not if you say:

That is What I would think, but Nope, it all together is apparently all illegal. :(

Flame Claw

Blue, dressed in black
koekie715 said:
it is ilegal if you say:

but not if you say:

So... just because you're acknowledging that you're generating revenue off of a derivative work without permission makes it okay? I'm not sure I follow your logic.