'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Nice, the exploding clown finally gets a GX card.

As for what's happening in terms of the Switch, I have a feeling that it's going to be a spin-off or something similar to Colosseum/XD.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Hmm... So we now have:

• August set, Celestial Storm. We get Japan's SM7 and SM6a (Champion Road) there.
  • September mini set, Dragon Majesty. We get SM6b (Dragon Storm) there.
  • November will surely have SM8, and posssibly combined with SM7a (Thunderclap Spark)?
So, we still have SM7b (Fairy Rise), with no release date in the horizon... And maybe some "Best of SM" special set? Would be nice to get that one over here again, kind of like with Legendary Treasures and Call Of Legends (and definitely not because I'd be ok with a Lele reprint lol)

Or maybe SM7b will be combined with SM6b for Dragon Majesty as the "Majesty" within the name suggests Fairy-types will be present in that set.

Either way, I'm alright as long as they release Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini cards.

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Called the Johto set.

There's no way there'll be a main series Pokémon game released towards the end of this year.

starg09

Aspiring Trainer
Or maybe SM7b will be combined with SM6b for Dragon Majesty as the "Majesty" within the name suggests Fairy-types will be present in that set.

Either way, I'm alright as long as they release Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini cards.
Had that thought, it'd definitely be a cool solution to that! (and create a large enough cardpool for a special set like that to live a decent enough life on special products).

On the Bulu and Fini topic, I agree! Hopefully they're released eventually, maybe as blister promos for SM8? Since SM7 is getting Koko and Lele...

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
When I saw Lugia being featured, I immediately thought of the upcoming Zeraora movie, which is supposed to prominently feature Lugia (like how Marshadow's movie had Ho-Oh as a major focal point).

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder...if the switch game does go back to kanto like 100 yrs later...what will happen in the anime? Does Ash just go back to Kanto and redo the indigo league? Maybe play off the idea that Lillie goes to Kanto and have her join him? So much is going on!!

As for the switch games themselves, I would rather the company put more time into the games and make sure the quality is great than to have them rush to meet the demand for a holiday release. Besides that, considering they said 2018 would be the earliest they could release the games, I wouldn't be surprised if they released in 2019.

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder...if the switch game does go back to kanto like 100 yrs later...what will happen in the anime? Does Ash just go back to Kanto and redo the indigo league? Maybe play off the idea that Lillie goes to Kanto and have her join him? So much is going on!!

As for the switch games themselves, I would rather the company put more time into the games and make sure the quality is great than to have them rush to meet the demand for a holiday release. Besides that, considering they said 2018 would be the earliest they could release the games, I wouldn't be surprised if they released in 2019.
Since it wouldnt be a new generation or new land, they wouldnt HAVE to adapt the anime to it. It's not like Ash went back to Kanto because of Fire Red/Leaf Green, or Johto because Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Or they could have Ash get sucked into a wormhole or sorts created by Palkia and Dialga, or even Celebi, and end up in the furture! That could warrant him not putting all of his pokemon away, and actually fully train them for once in a while.

Last edited:

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
If Unova gets skipped, some heads are gonna roll, and they'll probably be explosive.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
So that means we will expect another Ho-oh GX or a reprint of the other one?
I assume we don't have non-GX UBs of Nihilego, UN, Naganadel, Stakataka and Blacephalon. So maybe, they'll be included in the SM8 set.

I also assume that SM8 in November is composed of Lugia set, Zeraora set, and maybe Fairy Rise set.

On the Switch rumor, I don't care. Just give me a new one not the Kanto one.

Caveguy

GIVE FERALIGATR A GX ALREADY
For a Johto set im begging for Feraligatr GX or even a Heracross GX.

For the rumors, im losing hope because of the lack of the Nintendo Direct. Maybe they show something at E3 but I can't say that I am super confident.

MetalPharoah

Aspiring Trainer
I've looked into the switch rumors and everyone 25+ years of age have looked me in the eye and said that's cool.

25+ here and telling you that another Kanto game is another let down from me, actually the first and only ever let down for Pokemon. This might be the first time I actually do not buy a Pokemon game period. I played Sapphire when it had been released for the GBA so much that when ORAS came around, a friend bought me AS for my birthday, and it took me 6 months to even finish it with Delta episode because I was so used to the game it bored me to tears.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
I'm glad that this is what's rumoured. But that's mostly because I don't want a main-series Pokemon game I actually care about on the Switch.

The Red Genesect

The robot that made it past Captcha
I hope the next one is Unova and not Kanto. ‘Cough cough’ Evolutions ‘cough cough’ Generations.

DLyne

OG TRAINER, DECK CONSTRUCTION GURU
25+ here and telling you that another Kanto game is another let down from me, actually the first and only ever let down for Pokemon. This might be the first time I actually do not buy a Pokemon game period. I played Sapphire when it had been released for the GBA so much that when ORAS came around, a friend bought me AS for my birthday, and it took me 6 months to even finish it with Delta episode because I was so used to the game it bored me to tears.

Hey Dude,
I understand.... every player or pokemon fan has their own level of fandom. I know the feeling. I burnt myself out of pokemon long ago before Ruby and Sapphire came out. tried to come back during Diamond and Pearl but just couldn't keep me entertained. For myself, XY and Heart Gold/Soul Silver were great games to return to the fandom. Never played the TCG until a year and a half ago when a friend suggested it to me as a separate game choice from Weiss Schwarz (Which by the way, is a cool card game... if you like anime...check it out) Since then, I've played the TCG, appreciated the games a little more, became a Pokemon Judge and even went to Vancouver Regionals last year. (Masters 132/350 - with the only Marshadow deck at the event, during the rise of Gardevoir gx decks..., BTW wrecked every gardevoir deck at that event. :) )

I am excited for this new switch game. I know some of you aren't and thats fine. Part of pokemon's gameplay, whether it's VGC or TCG, is the freedom to play however you want. I know Pokemon has me sold on this new game... but im sure we are all still waiting on a new region or better yet.. All the regions in one game.

Weavile04

Professional Dark-Type User
Eh. Don't really care about johto all that much, but whatever. Hopefully lugia will be playable!