Fun Expanded Joke Decks

fr33land

Weak competitive trainer.
As an introduction, this thread is for discussion of 'bad' decks ideas. Strategies that have ridiculously complicated setups for dubious results. Decks whose outcomes are decided by coin flips or are supremely annoying or hilariously underpowered. Please help us explore unlikely card synergy and make all those 'other' cards into something fun to play. Occasionally very broken effects can be found.
Suggestions so far:

Duoblade / Ariados
Noctowl / Vileplume
Imakuni?'s Malamar - thank you to My Little Keldeo
Typhlosion
Cacturne / Outrage thanks Pooka
Shedinja / Mew

I will continue to update this post as other bad decks surface and break the sometimes stagnant pool of meta decks.

Okay, I think this is probably awful, but I want something fun to bring to an expanded tourney.
I like the new print of Farfetch'd because of it's first attack. 50 damage for one energy seems too good to be true. Ways around the drawback are numerous in expanded, especially since on the following turn a switch would allow a second bird to slap for a single energy.
I thought it might catch people off guard if they were looking at a stream of then and dealing with 50+ damage on turn 2.
Of course, there's little that would sustain Farfetch'd mid to late game and the expanded format also includes a great deal of first turn attackers able to deal a deathblow.
I figure double colourless would be a 4 of in the deck and figure a couple other attackers that use it would be cool, Lugia EX or Mewtwo EX are also good lead off hitters and Pidgeot EX could deal healthy bench damage...
I thought Zoroark would ne nice to have, rushing in and refreshing Farfetch'd for another leek slap with float stone and offering a good attack. The question is what basic energy should I run? Zoroark Break is something that could be fun, I have a single copy of Jolteon EX I could use with electric energy. Glaceon maybe? I have Manaphy EX, but Jolteon seems more useful in expanded.
Anyways, thing like laserbank and muscle band would be included so that first attack could reach a possible 100 damage, but fighting fury belt would allow Farfetch'd to KO most basics by hitting for 60. Chances are 110 HP will not make any difference in it's ability to survive beyond a single turn, but what do you think?
Obviously this is a bad deck, but it seems fun and has a very uncomplicated strategy. You think Max Elixir would be worthwhile?
Anyways, help me out. I would be very entertained to hear any suggestions, including quitting the tcg.

Last edited:
I personally think it's complete garbage.decks in the expanded format their are a lot of faster things like night march, yveltal ,speed ray ,etc.

I personally think it's complete garbage.decks in the expanded format their are a lot of faster things like night march, yveltal ,speed ray ,etc.
You might be missing the point. . .
Competitiveness is secondary in this case to just having fun. I could bring a meta deck. Yveltal with Archeops is probably the most consistent and devastating strategy. Archie's Blastoise is also blindingly fast and consistent (hopefully you win the coin flip). Anything Garbodor simply ruins everyone's day.
Okay, not what you were getting at, but that Jolteon EX would be excellent for backup in expanded, at least I would have a shot at Yveltal decks. Zoroark would be awesome against speed ray decks and I plan on including Karen anyway so I can get all those KO'd Farfetch'd back so that will help against Night March.
Anyone else care to exercise their brain in a constructive manner? Or has anyone got another fun garbage idea? Should I run DuoBlade Lasers? That's fun. I made a machine gun headbutt deck a while ago. That was also fun.

Maybe you could run Farfetch'd Gengar from Breakthrough(?)Smack with farfetch'd, KO with Gengar. Or you could use either Mega Alakazam or Wobuffet to increase the damage. Maybe even tech in Spinda from Primal Clash ;) If you want fun garbage decks, try something like Fates Collide Marowak (no hand control) and Vanilluxe from either Breakpoint or Breakthrough (supporter lock). Then simply tech in Vileplume, and your opponent will hate you:cool:

And don't forget Imakuni's doduo, if he's tournament legal

i'm sorry i'm preparing for san jose so i'm still looking for a deck.

Maybe you could run Farfetch'd Gengar from Breakthrough(?)Smack with farfetch'd, KO with Gengar. Or you could use either Mega Alakazam or Wobuffet to increase the damage. Maybe even tech in Spinda from Primal Clash ;) If you want fun garbage decks, try something like Fates Collide Marowak (no hand control) and Vanilluxe from either Breakpoint or Breakthrough (supporter lock). Then simply tech in Vileplume, and your opponent will hate you:cool:
Mwa ha ha!
That's a hilarious idea, I can play supporters and items and my opponent can only play pokemon and energy??? sounds awesome. I suppose Vanilluxe's attack is low damage output, but a marowak break might sweep late game once a few have been knocked out.
Maybe the Breakpoint Aegis lash , might work as a back up for duoblade.
For Gengar I need dimension Valley, FFB might be good as a counter to rough seas also. . . hmm.
Thanks, food for thought .

as a fun deck try noctowl from breakthrough and plume

and tech a jolteon

I think early item lock and the ubiquity of item heavy draw decks in expanded could make noctowl fun, but have you any suggestions for me that way? How many AZ should I run? I plan in that deck to have a great number of items to ensure vileplume is set turn 1 or 2 and to have a consistent higher damage output for high flight?

4 az because you do need like 4 mail,4 ultra ball,etc.
also you don't have to play vs seeker if you don't have room
keep in mind if you don't play vs seeker you need to play a lot of supporter's

If you want consistent Vileplume, spam as many pokeball cards as you can. Ultra ball, great ball, pokeball, heavy ball, then add some trainer's mail and acro bike. That should help get first turn Vileplume.

That's sort of what I figured, skip vs seeker in favour of more supporters, especially multiple AZ so I can scoop vileplume if it is lysandre'd and recover from a ko or stream attackers, naturally 4 level ball and 4 ultra ball perhaps 4 trainer's mail I think perhaps 2 Shaymin since it uses DCE and can make my first turn as explosive and consistent as possible evolving vileplume. Shaymin could work with a high AZ count also. 4 giant plants. . . I guess the fear of enhanced hammer is null between own the night and vileplume.
Gonna give it a shot. Anyone got a vileplume skeleton? I guess noctowl simply replaces vespiquen as the stage 1 attacker, but with a few other significant differences in pokemon and trainers. I might give Glaceon a go and run Manaphy, maybe then I can retreat vileplume with an energy attachment if I can not find AZ.
Going to check if I have a vanilluxe or two to really mess with them, but on further review the effect remains on my turn and 2 stage 2 lines might be too difficult to play.
I had considered this deck before. . . Maybe a toad would help. . .

You know, I totally forgot Shedinja as a hopeless, outrageous deck. 4 rainbow energy, froze city and mew EX. I could never decide if d valley was worth including.

Here's a basic skeleton for Vileplume Noctowl that might be a good start. Don't know how to add Vanilluxe if you're interested, but will think about it and come back if I find a solution. Also, this is just a skeleton, and is only to be used as a starting point.
Pokémon
X3 Hoothoot
X3 Noctowl (Breakthrough)
X4 Oddish
X4Gloom
X4Vileplume(Ancient Origins)
X1 Manaphy EX
X2 Shaymin EX

Energy
X4 DCE
X3 Water Energy

Trainers
X4 Trainer's Mail
X4Ultra Ball
X4 Level Ball
X3 Heavy Ball (for Vileplume)
X4 Forest of Giant Plants

And that's all I have so far to help you. Hope it helps!:)

Thanks! I am glad there are other people willing to discuss bad decks. I hope this is fun for you all as well.

It is, unfortunately there are some missing pieces of a full playset of vileplume in my collection. As an aside, Archie might be one way to stack my deck with items and get vanilluxe into play

So I kind of have to abandon vileplume until I find 2 more copies, 2 simply seems too few, maybe with revitalizer and battle compressor it might be possible with 2 copies. I bet I could pull off revitalizer and a 3 2 2 line of plume. That might leave me a bit more space for things like Wally AZ and so on.

4-3 Noctowl
3-2-2 Plume
2 Shaymin
1 Seismitoad

4 level ball
4 ultra ball
3 battle compressor
4 revitalizer
3 AZ
3 Juniper
3 Tierno
2 Colress
1 Lysandre
1 Wally
1 Karen
1 Brigette
4 Forest of GP

4 DCE

That would leave 5 spots, perhaps 4 trainer's mail or 4 VS seeker to help turn 1 or a few basic energy?
Maybe a heavy ball.
Anyways, another 4 or 5 items would make the probability of each card being an item in my hand be 1 in 3 as opposed to 1 in 4 as it stands. If cards in hand are around 6 that's only 40 damage from my end.
Hmm.
What do you think? Should I try something else until I can get more gloom and plume?

My other plan is
3-3 DuoBlade
2-2 Ariados
2 Victini victory star
1 Celebi promo
1 jirachi EX

1 karen
4 juniper
4 N
1 colress
1 Lysandre
4 hypno laser
2 sparkling robe
4 level ball
2 pkemon communication
2 evosoda
1 Special charge

4 DCE
4 grass energy

That has 8 spots maybe 4 Puzzle 4 seeker or 4 mail 4 seeker. Doesn't seem like it woukd be able to dig for those DCE very well though. 4 uktra ball 2 shaymin 1 AZ
and cut a draw supporter or 2 for 3 seekers maybe. Then I could drop jirachi, although it has a handy synergy with level ball which would have to be a 4 count for consistency. 4 Juniper could suck with so many stage 1s. Forgive my rambling musings. Maybe drop ariados altogether for hex in case of trev or vileplume or virizion and a shadow triad or two so I can reuse the lasers.

Last edited:
Moved from the Deck Garage to the TCG Competitive, as the Deck Garage is for posting your complete 60-card decklists. ~bbninjas

I don't really have much to contribute here... other than this is possibly my favourite thread ever.

As someone who constantly wound people up by playing two of the decks mentioned in this very thread (Doublade / Ariados and Noctowl / Vileplume) at local tournaments - partially because they're annoying and partially because I refused to take it seriously - this makes me very happy.

I only ever played in Standard, having only started the "competitive" thing around when Primal Clash was released, so I'm missing a massive chunk of the Expanded card pool, which causes a bit of a disadvantage (although I've expanded my resources now). I'd definitely pop in a Noctowl BREAK to that particular deck, just for another annoying stretch on the damage, and the HP of course.

My current fun deck of the moment is Volcarona / Vileplume, which I have a Standard version of, but pairing with Hypnotoxic Laser and the like could be additionally hilarious. I also really want to build Pyroar BREAK, but I don't know how much that qualifies as fun, because it seems like it could maybe be pretty decent, and hence lift itself out of the "joke" category?

I also 100% want to return to Mew EX / Shedninja now that the card pool seems to be a little more in its favour with Fighting Fury Belt and Team Magma's Secret Base and the like. (Apologies for this pointless ramble.)

My personal joke deck is Imakuni?'s Malamar. This came about solely for me to find some use for the Imakuni card. Wally would certainly fulfill the same role, but what's the fun in that?

Pokemon - 14
4 Inkay XY (Upside-down Evolution)
4 Malamar XY (Mental Trash)
2 Victini NVI
1 Sableye DEX
1 Shaymin-EX
1 Jirachi-EX
1 Darkrai-EX DEX

Trainer Cards - 39
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
3 Imakuni?
2 Lysandre
1 Xerosic
1 Team Flare Grunt
4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
3 Trick Shovel
3 Red Card
4 Crushing Hammer
1 Enhanced Hammer
2 Trick Coin
2 Escape Rope
1 Super Rod
1 Training Center

Energy - 7
7 Darkness Energy

The idea is to evolve Inkay by confusing it with Imakuni? and then use Malamar's Mental Trash attack to discard your opponent's hand. Energy removal and disruption are used to give your Malamar at least some chance of survival. Victini and Trick Coin let you reflip Mental Trash if your opponent doesn't get enough tails. You have two outs to this, although only one re-flip effect can be used per turn. Trick Coin helps when you are Ability locked. The whole point is to be annoying, though obviously it doesn't win against competitive decks.

I love it! I have all the parts too, since I tried a mental trash mill deck before. I think there are a few cards which might make 1 of inclusions like delinquent and team rocket's handwork. A bunnelby might also make a good inclusion. I think a high count of N would be good, since my opponent is likely to take prizes easily. I understand too the trick shovel, like sableye garbodor. I think I ran a copy of Malamar Ex to hyper hypnosis and help malamar survive.
Thanks!
I have never heard of a use for Imakuni? before this. . . Excellent! I like the sy ergy between level ball - inkay - jirachi - imakuni? it has all the hallmarks of an improbable but hilarious first turn.
I did make a Farfetch'd deck and it took 3 prizes. It was fun to have a never ending stream of 1 energy attackers.
I thought of a few other decks that were featured by the top cut, like cacturne -outrage. I wonder if dugtrio either the older one which has a very similar attack to cacturne 9r the newer one which has way bigger damage a similar ko your own pokemon effect but a less than ideal 3 typed energy cost.
Aside from that rotom that moves damage counters and gyarados what else benefits from having damage counters spammed onto your bench?
I think I will mess with mental trash again and try something with dugtrio, which I have high hopes for. Strong energy, muscle band and lasers could be fun.
Although after trying Farfetch'd I think bursting balloons are the way to go.
I'm glad there are a few other players out there with a similar mindset.
Cheers!

Aside from that rotom that moves damage counters and gyarados what else benefits from having damage counters spammed onto your bench?
Meowstic Ex, which can move them, and Shedinja, which does more damage. Mega Glalie does too....

I had a thought for Pyroar break off hand. Klefki would help by making pyroar immune to Megas as well as basics. . . I don't know how much traction. that would gain you.

I kind of like the idea of Snorlax FCL / Hypno BKP
Sure, it's no darkrai, but it doesn't need the rave party.

Back