Discussion Expanded Darkbox... Is It Viable?

AuraStormLucario

Aspiring Trainer
As much as it pains me to say this, while Zoroninja is strong in expanded, its also struggling. I don't feel confident it has the consistency to be a Tier 2 deck. However, with these new Dark Type GX's being revealed, I see a new deck threat. A Darkbox TTGX deck WILL, in my opinion, become viable in expanded. Here I will overview the three most important pokemon in the deck. Each of these three pokemon is equally important to the deck, and the deck would have no chance of success without all three. Then, I will discuss a sample deck I have drafted. Lastly, I will discuss possible changes, additions, techs, and add some closing remarks.

Zoroark & Greninja GX's Dark Pulse attack, thirty damage plus thirty damage for each darkness energy, is a powerful OHKO machine once mid-game comes around. This card is also why I think Darkrai & Umbreon GX is useless, given that Zoroninja's ability to take OHKOs after less setting up. Zoroninja's GX attack is also noteworthy, but needless to say, it is your attack for the turn, and I don't think it is an effective attack when it's the focus of a deck (which is why I prefer Naganadel over Incineroar). The raw power this card is what allows this deck to ultimately be a threat to the beefier cards in the meta (especially Reshizard, admittedly what could look like a difficult matchup).

Mega Sableye & Tyranitar GX:
Mega Sableye & Tyranitar-GX – Darkness – HP280
Basic Pokemon (TAG TEAM)

[D][D][D][D][C] Greed Crash: 210 damage. If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is a Pokemon-GX or Pokemon-EX and is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take 1 more Prize card.

[D][D][D][D][C]+ Gigafall GX: 250 damage. If you have 5 additional Energy attached to this Pokemon (in addition to this attack’s cost), discard 15 cards from the top of your opponent’s deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your TAG TEAM is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-2)
Retreat: 4
M Sableye & Tyranitar's GX attack on its own is ineffective, but also a strong win condition that your opponent MUST be aware of. Its normal attack is very VERY good. Umbreon EX saw a little bit of play, Guzzlord GX was interesting, but both of their attacks struggled because of their overall damage output. Buzzmosa GX saw heavy play in Japan for a month and its numbers worked out nicely due to its combination of two great attacks. Looking back in history, Plasma Lugia was extremely successful, and Rayquaza & Deoxys LEGEND saw play too. The prospect of taking three prizes on a Dedene, Lele, Koko, Blacephalon, Ultra Necrozma, etc. is a threat. The prospect of taking FOUR prizes on a Pikarom with a choice band is a very nice perk. We have seen cards like this work in the past, and I believe Sabletar has similar potential.

Weavile GX:
Weavile-GX – Darkness – HP200
Stage 1 – Evolves from Sneasel

Ability: Shadow Connection
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may move a basic [D] Energy from 1 of your Pokemon in play to another 1 of your Pokemon in play.

[D][D][C] Claw Slash: 130 damage.

[C] Night Order GX: Search your deck for any number of Basic Pokemon and put them on your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1
Weavile GX is the glue of this deck. A darkbox deck such as this will have difficulty setting up efficiently every single game, and is liable to falling behind on the prize trade. Survival and recovery will be vital here. Firstly, Weavile GX allows for recovery through trainers, giving this deck some semblance of staying power given the nature of potentially sacrificing three prize cards per primary attacker. but once you start getting energy on the board, your opponent MUST account for the possibility of using Gigafall GX for the win. This card's primary attack can pressure an opponent into being reluctant to bench either support or attacking two-prize GXs/EXs, while Sabletar's GX attack can prevent an opponent from being able to completely use their deck, essentially being forced to leave more than 15 cards face down. While this deck has a chance of success without Weavile GX, with Weavile GX I believe this deck becomes a legitimate threat in the meta

Zoroninja itself relies on speed and consistency, that is the trick to getting consistent OHKOS. These two new GX's offer alternative approaches that would make a darkbox deck versatile and effective. In ideally three turns (four if unlucky), your board should be somewhat set up, which is enough to:
1. threaten OHKOs on anything on your opponent's field.
2. threaten potential three-prize turns on anything up to 210 HP (or even 240 HP).
3. threaten an alternative win condition through milling.

With all of this to consider, I believe this deck has potential.

Here is my sample list
##Pokémon - 16

* 2 Greninja & Zoroark-GX UNB 107
* 2 Mega Sableye & Tyranitar-GX ??? ???
* 1 Darkrai-EX DEX 63
* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 1 Sneasel UPR 73
* 2 Weavile UPR 74
* 2 Poipole FLI 55
* 2 Naganadel LOT 108
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Dedenne-GX UNB 57

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 N FCO 105
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 AZ PHF 91
* 1 Colress PLS 118
* 2 Sky Field ROS 89
* 1 Black Market {*} TEU 134
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Mysterious Treasure FLI 113
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137

##Energy - 13

* 13 Darkness Energy 7

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I feel this is a decent enough sample build, although, in full disclosure, I haven't yet playtested it.

There are a large number of other cards to consider here. Starting with Pokemon, there are not one but TWO baby Yveltal that are very very good. The first is Oblivion Wing Yveltal from XY Base, which is a decent way to accelerate darkness energy. The second is Derail Yveltal from Team Up. Discarding special energy with chip damage is fantastic, two energy to prevent retreating is also alright, but most important is the zero retreat cost, making for a great pivot early game or in case of a prized Darkrai EX. Alternative spreads of support pokemon might also work better, here I chose 1 Lele, 1 Shaybae, 1 Dedene, and 0 Marshadow. While I feel the inclusion of at least one Darkrai EX is vital, perhaps the inclusion of a third Poipole or third Naganadel would be useful, or perhaps a copy of Sneasel and a second copy of Weavile GX isn't necessary. Lastly, a copy of Mew & Mewtwo GX could be useful just to have an attacking pokemon without fighting weakness in addition to hitting fighting/psychic for weaknesses.

Other trainers would be useful as well in some instances. Most obviously, Dark Patch. While a normal staple in dark decks, I feel it's clunky and redundant with Naganadel, and it can be difficult to get enough dark energy into the discard pile for both Naganadel and Dark Patch to utilize. Here I'd rather stick with the risk of Max Elixir. Other trainer cards include alternative draw supporters like Cynthia and Lillie, which does come down to personal preference, Other items like Max Potion may be useful, there's also the debate of Acerola v.s. AZ. An extra copy of Sky Field or Choice Band may be appreciated with such a high pokemon count. Perhaps Choice Helmet would be a valuable addition given the prevalence of Reshizard and the necessity of Zoroninja in that particular matchup (if they don't run two-prize support mons). My last and most interesting considerations are two more fringe supporters. Gladion may be especially useful in this deck given the low counts of certain cards in order to fit every needed card in the deck. Lastly, Giovanni's Exile would be useful to get support Pokemon off the bench as well as darkness energy into the discard pile if needed (or if placed on a support pokemon out of necessity).

I want to hear your thoughts. How do you feel about all these new dark type Pokemon GX? Do you think they'll have a significant impact on either the standard or expanded meta? Which ones are you looking forward to trying out? Please share your thoughts below, I eagerly await to hear what others have to say!

Last edited:
While I don't think it's gonna be super viable in Standard, it at least has a chance in Expanded. Baby Yveltal, Max Elixir and Dark Patch could be just the push it needs. The only problem I'd see with this kinda deck is that Marshadow in Night March can OHKO for far less set up and resources, and even with Wishful Baton I don't see how the deck could come back from that.

My issue with ZoroNinja and the new Weavile-GX and whatnot is this:

ZoroNinja + Weavile has a similiar strategy as Rayquaza-GX builds. If we are looking at things in a streamlined, cup/regional standpoint; what does this deck have that Rayquaza-GX doesn't.

Back