'Evolving Skies,' August's English TCG Set!

Mick-773

Pizza Enthusiast
It looks like Slaking's attack name is missing XD
It should be something along the lines of kicking around/routing.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Kind of weird that they usually pull the strongest cards for the hype reveals, but reveal after reveal of Sky Stream and Towering Perfection has been underwhelming with very little to salvage. Even the self-built archetype (Everybody Rollout) is mostly boring and bad.

Guess they really shot their wad early with the Dragon-type reveal and Duraludon/Rayquaza V-Max. The best thing we can hope for now is some consistency trainers, I guess.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Kind of weird that they usually pull the strongest cards for the hype reveals, but reveal after reveal of Sky Stream and Towering Perfection has been underwhelming with very little to salvage. Even the self-built archetype (Everybody Rollout) is mostly boring and bad.

Guess they really shot their wad early with the Dragon-type reveal and Duraludon/Rayquaza V-Max. The best thing we can hope for now is some consistency trainers, I guess.

Would not say so. Medicham V Rapid Strike is a real nice addition to Urshifu Vmax and Inteleon Vmax. Suicune V can be a nice tech attacker in several decks that naturally use [W] energy. Jumpluff is a nice new mechanic since its ability also works on Rapid Strike Scrolls. Volcarona V is a nice addition to Blacephalon or any deck that discards energy in order to do damage. There are some hidden gems in this set for sure.

Hydroi-gon

Casual Player
I love the fact that although Wishiwashi is a Water type, with a Double Colorless attack and is a Rapid Striker, you still need basic Water energies for its attack to be good

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer

Have we learned nothing? I remember when Silver Lance and Jet Black Poltergeist started having its cards leaked, and after Blaziken, for a while all that was spoiled were the typical single prize bulk, the type of stuff that goes into theme decks bulk. And thus began the whining on comments, much like this one. "Oh this set garbage", "oh this set trash", blah blah blah. And then, those turned into...Chilling Reign. Jesus, people...don't we know by now that the sets are humongously large and that we can't jump the gun with these types of statements? C'mon now, can we fricking wait for once? We have no clue as to what'll be the general picture of Evolving Skies, and even with the little we have it's already pretty clear the set will be nothing to scoff at, just like Battle Styles and Chilling Reign were.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Wow, another powerful basic designed for a specific multi-prize deck and a handful of sub-par evolutions. Creatures is sure feeling ambitious aren't they

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Um guys, has anyone else noticed that Pokémon created an evolving stage 1 that actually SUPPORTS the Pokémon it evolves into? Stadium cards literally shut Slaking down, so seeing that it’s pre-evolved form discards stadium cards, giving you incentive to actually use it (plus memory charm) instead of just using rare candy is really nice.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Cufant/Copperajah - c'mon man, gimme a break. Don't ruin my day. 2/2
  • Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking - what's your purpose again? 2/2/3
  • Wishiwashi - seems decent. That's I can say since 180HP on a single-prized basic is topnotch. 120 is just a boring number rn. 3-4
  • Zygarde - it's a very difficult win button, how will you turn 1 a Zygarde to win you the game? 3

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Would not say so. Medicham V Rapid Strike is a real nice addition to Urshifu Vmax and Inteleon Vmax. Suicune V can be a nice tech attacker in several decks that naturally use [W] energy. Jumpluff is a nice new mechanic since its ability also works on Rapid Strike Scrolls. Volcarona V is a nice addition to Blacephalon or any deck that discards energy in order to do damage. There are some hidden gems in this set for sure.
Blacephalon's rotated bro

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Have we learned nothing? I remember when Silver Lance and Jet Black Poltergeist started having its cards leaked, and after Blaziken, for a while all that was spoiled were the typical single prize bulk, the type of stuff that goes into theme decks bulk. And thus began the whining on comments, much like this one. "Oh this set garbage", "oh this set trash", blah blah blah. And then, those turned into...Chilling Reign. Jesus, people...don't we know by now that the sets are humongously large and that we can't jump the gun with these types of statements? C'mon now, can we fricking wait for once? We have no clue as to what'll be the general picture of Evolving Skies, and even with the little we have it's already pretty clear the set will be nothing to scoff at, just like Battle Styles and Chilling Reign were.

Huh, I never said the set was going to be bad, chill the f out. I only said that the reveals were underwhelming.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Um guys, has anyone else noticed that Pokémon created an evolving stage 1 that actually SUPPORTS the Pokémon it evolves into? Stadium cards literally shut Slaking down, so seeing that it’s pre-evolved form discards stadium cards, giving you incentive to actually use it (plus memory charm) instead of just using rare candy is really nice.

Wasting your entire turn on a measly 20 damage when you're already behind on your evolutions because you're not using Rare Candy is pretty abysmal. Even that's ignoring the fact that your opponent could just play another Stadium, making you deal just 20 damage again while their VMAX is potentially attacking for the second time.

Memory Charm doesn't work because Slaking can't attack when a Stadium is in play, so it can't attack to remove the Stadium.

Obviously it's better than nothing! But it's still wayyy too little. Rare Candy with Pumpkaboo is pretty much objectively better.

Oh, Creatures.

Last edited: