Entei / Charizard-EX

Asclepius24

Aspiring Trainer
This thread is for all discussion of competitive Entei / Charizard-EX variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies and matchups.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, please post in the Deck Garage.

Entei / Charizard-EX Skeleton List:

Pokemon: 9
  • 4 Entei AOR 15
  • 2 Charizard-EX FLF 12
  • 3 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37
  • 4 Blacksmith
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 3 Scorched Earth
Energy: 13
  • 9 Fire Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open spots: 2

Sounds interesting! I always love Fire Types! I should try building this in PTCGO and playtest it IRL. Thanks for the given list!

The new tool from breakpoint would be excellent in this deck (fighting spirit belt I believe its called). 170 health on that entei and it does 40 isntead of 30 on that first attack sounds awesome. Not to mention, having 2 on him would give him the health of a mega evolution. Otherwise, I like this idea a lot actually and might build it for myself.

Has anybody play tested this against Primal Groudon? Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone give some insight on which good matchups Entei decks usually have? I havent seen any in play and there isnt too much talk about them on the forum (from what I can see) so Im wondering what makes them a standout. I can see them having good matchup against Vespiquen forobvious reasons, but other decks? Thanks!

Can anyone give some insight on which good matchups Entei decks usually have? I havent seen any in play and there isnt too much talk about them on the forum (from what I can see) so Im wondering what makes them a standout. I can see them having good matchup against Vespiquen forobvious reasons, but other decks? Thanks!
I've played a few of them with my Manectric/Regice deck and it does really well despite the weakness. M Manectric can't ohko Entei (unless you've set it up with overrun) and you can't really stream Regice like they can with Entei. If they can set up two Entei before you turbo bolt or KO your Manectric early it's hard to come back.

It's pretty cool to see a fire deck start doing well again, considering it's been so long. I've seen this deck top 8 at every City Champion I've been to so far (Ohio State), but haven't seen it win yet (guess that's why it's tier 3, haha). I think that this deck and the reprint of Garbotoxin will make Startling Mega a staple again, which honestly would be the end for this deck's competitive career.

It is a match up deck. Because the deck can double assult vest, it brings real challenges to the night march and Yveltal/Zorark decks. It's a great counter to some those top tier decks. If it gets popular enough, more counter decks will start getting played against it.

Not so meta, but Medicham really suffers against this. I am trying something similar, it's far from a good list, but it beat Yveltal / Zoroark / Gallade, even when Seismitoad EX came out to try and ruin a perfectly good game. It was tight though, could have easily gone either way. Soooo many decks have a hard time, some are completely unable to scratch Entei. It takes muscle band + quaking punch 3 turns to KO Entei / Assault vest without Flame Screen.
I watched a standard version of this deck beat an Expanded Landy Bats deck a couple days ago.
Startling Megaphone only works once though, in standard. I suppose if you run Milotic or Bunnelby or something, you can't Junk Hunt it and Trash Tentacle is a whole deck. . . and Entei can run a copy of Eco-Arm.
The mirror must be strange.

Have you thought about running a sacred ash or rod for your last spot? Might help if any Enetie's go to the discard quickly.

Why is hex maniac not in the skeleton list? This deck, as it stands has an auto-loss to any Pyroar user.
Hex isn't in the skeleton because most lists don't run it. Pyroar isn't seen in tournaments anymore because it loses to too many decks to be a real threat.

The skeleton list isn't a definitive list. If you'd like to run a Hex because there's a lot of Pyroar where you play, go for it.

Fisherman for the last spot for energy acceleration
Or you could try removing a shaymin for AZ for one less EX to lose
Any reason why no xerosic? Most decks use tools and double colorless...

Fisherman for the last spot for energy acceleration
Or you could try removing a shaymin for AZ for one less EX to lose
Any reason why no xerosic? Most decks use tools and double colorless...
Xerosic is a great card for the reasons you mentioned, but doesn't really fit what this deck is trying to do. You want to use Blacksmith pretty much every turn to accelerate Energy, and that's probably going to do more for you than a Xerosic in most cases. This is also why Fisherman doesn't help - you want the [R] in the discard pile and to attach your DCEs from your hand.

Three Shaymin are there so you avoid prizing one of two and getting stuck. This deck needs to move quickly and wants to use Supporters for things other than draw, so the three Shaymin are pretty necessary.

What about a Pokemon center lady for the last spot or super potion if you prefer items. Keeping those enteis around longer could be clutch

Hex isn't in the skeleton because most lists don't run it. Pyroar isn't seen in tournaments anymore because it loses to too many decks to be a real threat.

The skeleton list isn't a definitive list. If you'd like to run a Hex because there's a lot of Pyroar where you play, go for it.
Before you dismiss it, the hex maniac messes up a lot of decks if you know when to play it. This deck is all about speed, so denying early momentum from the ultra ball to shaymin or hoopa combo and punishing the zoroark stand in float stone combo for just that one turn is devastating for prize count.

You could try to include a single copy of non ancient trait Entei. Against Skyfield users you can do 180 damage, KOing Exes. It can be charged using only Blacksmith and its first attack could help in a bad first turn.

Hello guys!
Does 2 shaymin EX is good enough for thus deck? I cant get another one . Thanks for your input :)

I'm giving the deck a try myself, I was thinking of adding a red card for some disruption, it's nice as it doesn't consume a supporter role and has a possibility of throwing my opponent into a dead hand.

I've been trying this lately, but haven't got 2 Charizard EX FLF 12
So I've been playing expanded with Reshiram EX, I've found 4 Battle Compressor is key, but I am focussing on donking (hopefully) by getting Brave Fire or Heat Tackle on my first turn and going second. One copy of Blaziken EX has helped sometimes retrieve discarded DCE.
On the whole it is pretty easy to get 4 energies onto the pokemon and Entei help keep the prize exchange even with decks like Night March, who also have sometime trouble KO ing Reshiram EX with Assault Vest equipped early in the game.
I haven't been able to get 2 Shaymin EX online, but they would help immensely for making the first turn Blacksmith by digging out more cards without using my supporter for the turn.
Obviously this isn't meant to be a discussion of expanded format, but do you think this is part of the strategy overall for this deck?

Back