Empoleon Variants

Blah

DBT
Use this thread for all discussion of all Empoleon Variants. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means of adding to the discussion. Don't post decklists here for advice.

All discussion not related to Empoleon will be moved or deleted. All shallow or uninformed discussion will also be deleted by the mods.

Skeleton List:

Pokemon: 12
  • 4 Empoleon
  • 2 Prinplup
  • 4 Piplup
  • 1 Exeggcute
  • 1 Dusknoir BCR
Trainers: 30
  • 4 N
  • 3 Skyla
  • 2 Professor Juniper
  • 2 Colress
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Switching Cards (Switch / Escape Rope)
  • 2 Silver Bangle
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Dowsing Machine
  • 2 Tropical Beach
Energy: 7
  • 7 Water
Free Spots: 9

Good Additions:
  • Leafeon PLF
  • Sawk PLB
  • Sigilyph DRX / Suicune PLB
  • Jirachi EX
  • Max Potion
  • Muscle Band
  • Tool Scrapper

[split] Empoleon Variants

My Empoleon Varient obviously has Terrakion as an attacker to ko Darkarai EX, Regigigas EX, Zekrom EX, and cover for empoleons weakness. My favorite part of the deck happens to be the KELDEO I run with it. Since empoleon's attack is so cheap i can spare time to load up keldeo and 2 ko any EX with an eviolute! The new Colress card will be an amazing addition to this deck! I do not like to run juniper because my hand is always so big due to empoleons ability! I max N and will max Colress out in this deck instead of juniper! What do you think?

Normally my empoleon is later game. Keldeo normally comes first and tanks for a little until Terrakion is needed and then Empoleon for late cheap attacks!

2-1-2 Empoleon
3 Keldeo
2 Terrakion

And how does a dusknoir/empoleon deck exist? They do not compliment each other in any way!? lol just saying

I agree that Juniper isn't the best in this deck, although when I played Empoleon in that past, I still ran it just because Juniper is such a good card.

Your Pokemon line is...interesting. 4-2-4 Empoleon tends to be the standard for Empoleon decks, and I think 2-1-2 is quite thin when it's your main attacker. Keldeo is an interesting idea, although I don't think it has the best synergy because if you play Max Potion (which you should), you're going to need to be attaching to Empoleon a lot and you won't have the time or the resources to set Keldeo up.

As a note about the future, Colress will definitely be awesome, but be wary about maxing it out because having it early game is REALLY bad, as you'll only be drawing a few cards off of it. It's why most decks will probably play 1-2 Colress because you really don't want to get it early.

True about colress had not thought about that yet! And empoleon is sort of my main attacker while at the same time she is not the main attacker normally how I end up doing it ends up making empoleon the back up attacker! Keldeo always ends up as the main attacker! I am currently not running a stronger line because normally I only use one of them in the deck, I do run 2 rare candy though. And I have not tested max potion in this deck solely because of Keldeo being the attacker.

I have been away from competitive play for a long time and since I came back the pokemon in a deck have decreased from 20-23 all the way down to 8-15!!! This surprised me! So I have tried to make all my decks run a stage 2 but most of the time as tech! This deck happens to different! Do YOU reccomend having a 4-2-4 line? And who do YOU tech with him?

@Tyrant
Dusknoir/Empoleon is actually a good meta deck, here's why:
Landorus EX and Mewtwo EX are included to get early damage on the field for Dusknoir to control. Empoleon functions as a draw engine mainly from early-mid game. Empoleon's and Roserade's Abilities help set up your field. Then, you can use Dusknoir to set up exact KOs with Empoleon after getting some quick damage out there with Landorus and Mewtwo. Empoleon is a great main attacker once you can OHKO everything with Dusknoir's help because not only does it counter Landorus EX excellently, but it is also a non-EX. AND, not only is it a non-EX, but it has 140 HP which is hard to take down. Paired with Max Potion, your opponent still has to take six prizes which is difficult. This is why the deck is pretty good. It does require a difficult set up, but Lando/Mewtwo can pressure your opponent early game to let you set up.

As for your other questions, most competitive players would recommend 4-2-4 Empoleon, it's just the flat out best way to run it. Other Pokemon to include in Empoleon variants other than Dusknoir would be: Landorus EX, Terrakion NVI, Mew EX, and MAYBE, just maybe, Shaymin EX.

oh and I also think that Empo could be at least Tier 2, but just my opinion.

Okay I am still learning and When I hear Empoleon/Dusknoir I think 4-2-4 Empoleon and 2-1-2 Dusknoir. I dont think Landorus and Mewtwo, that is what I was thinking and that would probaly work well. I will probaly test that way next and see how it works! Thanks!

Can somebody make me a list of this deck which focus's on consistency? I can't find/build 1 which I feel is consistent enough...

Colres has higher potential be good early if you Have Emolga and a type of PokeBall or 2. Quickly getting out 4 Mons and your opponent will want to set up as well so right there on average there is 5-7 Pokemon Already in play. The Emoleon list I use has these Pokemon:
4-1-4 Empoleon
2 Emolga
2 Terrakion NV
1 Mewtwo EX

PokeBalls
4 Ultra Ball
2(or something) Level Ball

Pretty good chance but only time will tell if Colress will replace Juniper in this deck type. I'd say maybe 2 Juniper at minimum.

Also incase you are wondering about Mewtwo, Empoleon is pretty weak to Keldeo so Mewtwo is there to show Keldeo who is boss.

I have been trying to develop an Empoleon deck that runs the etherdex engine and uses Kyurem NVI for spread damage and Empoleon for draw power and KO's. (I think pokedex also has synergy with diving draw.) I use little Keldeo and Bouffalant DRX (to deal with EX attackers.) Has anyone else thought along these lines?

I think Empoleon takes a huge hit after Plasma Storm. It can't use the HTL/Virbank combo effectively because it's so tight on space and 140 HP in the format is extremely fragile, as it is OHKO'd by Keldeo and Darkrai with HTL/Virbank and Dark Claw. It also has no easy way to get out of poison from HTL. I hate to say it, as I've always loved Empoleon, but I think this deck dies with Plasma Storm.

Hmmm.. This stinks. You could drop PlusPower, and use less emolga and more Mewtwo. I will think something up!

So does does anyone think that this amazing card/deck will be seeing any more play with the new NXD-ON rotation. considering we get the much anticipated Silver Mirror/Bangle to battle EX's and plasma with. we also have Suicune who can help stall against the big decks till you get stuff set up.

What are your thoughts? I'm gonna give it another try.

You really DIVED very deep to DRAW that necro... See what I did there? :p
But this does seem interesting. Great, even more cards to get my hands on.. >_<

I'd also consider running 3+ Enhanced Hammers, to knock off Plasma Energy and DCE.

Sheriff_K said:
You really DIVED very deep to DRAW that necro... See what I did there? :p
But this does seem interesting. Great, even more cards to get my hands on.. >_<

I'd also consider running 3+ Enhanced Hammers, to knock off Plasma Energy and DCE.

you really *dove

but anyways. I definately think this will actually become better thanks to it getting the tactics of suicune to stall for setup and the good old silver mirror to protect your piplups from the early game. maybe like run two bangles and 4 mirrors so you could like cycle through them through the course of the game.+

Empoleon is starting to pick up a lot of stream again. Plasma Blast has some great editions to the deck. Whether or not it'll be able to compete is still a question, but it has a lot of new tech options, plus, it is losing next to nothing from rotation. I recently drafted up a list that I've been having some success with.

4 Piplup
1 Prinplup
4 Empoleon
4 Emolga
2 Keldeo EX
2 Suicune
1 Exeggcute

4 N
3 Juniper
2 Skyla
2 Caitlin
4 Rare Candy
4 Catcher
3 Float Stone
3 Sliver Mirror
3 Level Ball
2 Ultra Ball
1 Super Rod (we aren't losing Dragon Vault, right?)
1 Tool Scrapper
1 Dowsing Machine

7 Water Energy
2 DCE
Basically, the match ups around the board are fairly solid, if you can live the first turn against Thundurus Deoxys Kyurem at least. Silver Mirror is amazing in here. Just try to refrain from putting more than one down at a time. Keldeo Float Stone is an amazing combo in everything. And did I mention Exeggcute? The ability to keep throwing this guy in the discard is amazing in this deck. You aren't losing any resources from Diving Draw. Resource conservation to the fullest. Suicune is mainly in there because this deck needs less donkable basics, it also suffices as a backup attacker.

I still don't like this deck as a competitive play. Plasma is going to be running heavy scrapper which makes the matchup horrendous despite Silver Mirror. That combined with a very difficult Blastoise matchup (they can run you out of attackers very quickly) makes for a rather sub-par deck in terms of matchups, not to mention that Stage 2 attacker decks have general issues with consistency and set up.

Vulpix Yolk said:
Empoleon is starting to pick up a lot of stream again. Plasma Blast has some great editions to the deck. Whether or not it'll be able to compete is still a question, but it has a lot of new tech options, plus, it is losing next to nothing from rotation. I recently drafted up a list that I've been having some success with.

4 Piplup
1 Prinplup
4 Empoleon
4 Emolga
2 Keldeo EX
2 Suicune
1 Exeggcute

4 N
3 Juniper
2 Skyla
2 Caitlin
4 Rare Candy
4 Catcher
3 Float Stone
3 Sliver Mirror
3 Level Ball
2 Ultra Ball
1 Super Rod (we aren't losing Dragon Vault, right?)
1 Tool Scrapper
1 Dowsing Machine

7 Water Energy
2 DCE
Basically, the match ups around the board are fairly solid, if you can live the first turn against Thundurus Deoxys Kyurem at least. Silver Mirror is amazing in here. Just try to refrain from putting more than one down at a time. Keldeo Float Stone is an amazing combo in everything. And did I mention Exeggcute? The ability to keep throwing this guy in the discard is amazing in this deck. You aren't losing any resources from Diving Draw. Resource conservation to the fullest. Suicune is mainly in there because this deck needs less donkable basics, it also suffices as a backup attacker.

Question. If you want to live the first turn against Thundurus/Deoxys/Kyurem, why don't you use Shaymin instead of Emolga? Emolga's Lightning-weak, which makes it easier for Thundurus to grab a KO. Shaymin has the same exact attack, but is weak to Fire instead.

Back