Eevee and Jolteon from “Pokemon Card 151!”

They shoulda called this set "3 energy attacks that don't do enough".
to be honest that kinda just feels like a kanto thing at this point. unless you're Snorlax, Charizard, Kangaskhan or any of the Nidos, chances are if you're a kanto mon your attacks are gonna be that. They never print Flareons or Dodrios or Raichus (just to name a few) that have strong 2 or 4 cost attacks, it's like they gave up on giving Kanto good cards.

It feels like every single card from this stupid 151 set is a miss.
I'm obviously tired of kanto, but if they're gonna jerk it off this much they should at least be bothered to give some of the mons good+great cards. Anyone remember Venusaur VMAX? Or Mega Zard Y EX? Or Mewtwo EX? If those were printed today they would put the current kanto cards to shame ?

There are a few cards that may see high level competitive play in this set:

-Spearow has potential if we get a really strong Fearow or Fearow-ex before it rotates... which I don't see happening.

-Alakazam ex can be a fun anti-meta deck with cards like Klefki and the new Mimikyu, especially if it gets something like Leafy Camo Poncho for ex's, a doll-type of item, and even stronger lock abilities like Neutralizing Gas. For now it's probably just going to be a rogue deck that can steal wins from better decks, and not actually a tier 1 or 2 kind of deck.

-Aerodactyl can be decent in Zoroark, specifically once V's rotate and stage 1 and 2 ex's all have weaker pre-evolutions... wait but then Zoroark will also rotate.

-Mew ex might see play in Gardevoir ex... maybe.

-Erika's Invitation will replace Manaphy and Water Energy in control decks. Very strong when paired with Echoing Horn (specifically in Standard that has no item card like Captivating Poke Puff). So far this is the only card that will absolutely see high level competitive play from this set, but it will be in a deck that's not commonly used in the meta.

-Cycling Road may see play in something like Gardevoir that likes to dump basic energy.

There have been some other good Kanto cards in the recent past too, such as Fusion Strike Mew and Radiant Charizard, which have seen play from their release up to current day. That said while I get that not every card can be top or even high tier material, yeah it feels like most cards are almost intentionally gimped/underpowered... but that's something that hasn't changed in decades, and I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon if ever.

I'm obviously tired of kanto, but if they're gonna jerk it off this much they should at least be bothered to give some of the mons good+great cards. Anyone remember Venusaur VMAX? Or Mega Zard Y EX? Or Mewtwo EX? If those were printed today they would put the current kanto cards to shame ?
well we do still have fusion strike mew, mewtwo vstar + solrock/lunatone, flying pika + arceus vstar, but thats all i can think of atm.

Not quite. Umbreon is a dark type which hits for weakness against most meta Psychic types in standard format right now only if its seen alongside other eeveelutions including Flareon assuming they'll all have the same attack, maybe I'll scrap Regis and build Eevee box instead?
Umbreon won't be in this set; there's a good chance that when it is released, it won't be related to the cards in this set. We'll just have to see, I guess.

Also, I wasn't complaining about the weakness of the cards, but the boringness.

Back