Eelzone vs Durant

Cinema

Gyarados Bait
How does Eelzone beat Durant? I know Zekrom can OHKO Durant after Durant, but what happens when they Catcher your Eelektriks? Or if you don't use Eels, what happens when they Crushing Hammer your energies? Or what if they KO your only Zekrom with Rotom? Please share your strategies for dealing with that pesky ant!

boost up a regular zekrom do two bolt strikes then outrage for the win. dont even lay anything down besides junk arm or super rods or catchers.

It really doesn't have any way to beat it. :/

Go aggro-Zekrom, and hope they don't run Black Belt basically.

First, be careful with your timing for playing Eels down. You shouldn't be evolving Tynamos until you can charge up the Eels to retreat of needed. Second, make sure to have a way to replace you Zekrom if it goes down. Running 2 Switch really helps this matchup. Honestly, if you're doing everything right, you should be able to beat Durant more often than not. And one last note: SAVE RESOURCES. Don't bother setting up a Magnezone because it will be useless. Don't use cards like Sage's or Juniper unless you really have to. Don't play anything really unless you have to. When you're about to run out of cards in your deck, you can use an N to get a bunch of cards back into it.

Follow those tips and you should be fine.

Pretty much a bench of 1 Cleffa/30HP Tynamo and 1 Zekrom active with as many energy as you can attach will do.
The 0-retreat bench sitters are there to prevent losing to Plasma Arrow, if Zekrom dies, no worries, they wasted 1 turn using Rotom.
Evolve into Eelektrik when you know you have enough Switches to last the remainder of the game.

It really depends on how the game turns out. But most of the time, don't set up magnezone. You will get in trouble if you try to Lost Burn them, it has a huge retreat cost for them to stall with and you won't need as much drawpower against this matchup.
As said earlier, rely on a regular Zekrom. It's very nice to have a Cleffa on your bench, both becaus you can get a free retreat option if they take out your Zekrom and because it will give you the opportunity to shuffle you hand into the deck which can give an extra turn sometimes when sitting with a big hand.
Using Zekrom with only one benched Pokémon can be a little dangerous. I've seen some Durant decks tech in a Seeker so that they could Seeker up Cleffa and KO Zekrom with a Rotom to win the game.

About the Eels, you should be allright with just one most of the time. Just make sure to charge itself up so that you can retreat if they catch it. Late game it won't hurt to have two Eels since they can charge up each other, or charge a new Zekrom in one turn using two Dynamotors and an attachment, and because you'll be sure to have a lot of energy in your discard pile from all their Devours, as long as you haven't used any Lost Burns.

Be smart. If the eelzone player is smart and always has 3 pokemon in play to avoid seeker, doesn't overuse Ponts and Junipers, and doesn't get out magnezone, they have a great chance of winning.

Oh, I did forget one thing. Early-game while you're setting up Zekrom or whatever other attacker, you can use 40HP Tynamo's Thundershock to try to stop them from milling a few cards.

Yeah. I have beat Durant with EelZone. Basically, set up two attackers, preferably Zekrom, and two Eels. Always have at least one energy on the Eels, as long as you have an energy in hand. If they Crushing Hammer your active down to one energy, retreat it too the benched attacker.

Like Celebi23 said, Aggro-Zekrom is the way to go against Durant. If you don't go aggro Zekrom and try to get the Zones out, you'll be in some big trouble.

Celebi23 said:
Oh, I did forget one thing. Early-game while you're setting up Zekrom or whatever other attacker, you can use 40HP Tynamo's Thundershock to try to stop them from milling a few cards.

This is the best way to beat durant.

Another way is to have two self-sustaining attackers (two zeks, a thundurus), NOT Mewtwo because Mewtwo needs a crazy FIVE energy to just kill one ant with evioite. Unless you can charge it up safely.

2 bench is the optimum number because of seeker.

Glaceon said:
Yeah. I have beat Durant with EelZone. Basically, set up two attackers, preferably Zekrom, and two Eels. Always have at least one energy on the Eels, as long as you have an energy in hand. If they Crushing Hammer your active down to one energy, retreat it too the benched attacker.
What if they Crushing Hammer the energy on Eel and then Catcher it? =X

I usually avoid setting up Eels against the deck unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, it is necessary a good amount of the time, but it's a very very risky strategy.

Celebi23 said:
What if they Crushing Hammer the energy on Eel and then Catcher it? =X

I usually avoid setting up Eels against the deck unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, it is necessary a good amount of the time, but it's a very very risky strategy.

That's why switch is important running just two will make them think twice on which to crush and which to catcher

some run 1-1 pachi shaymin insead of 4-4 eel its 3-3 eel 1-1 pachi shaymin so its like zps and its a quick way to try to kill durant

YoungNes said:
some run 1-1 pachi shaymin insead of 4-4 eel its 3-3 eel 1-1 pachi shaymin so its like zps and its a quick way to try to kill durant

Since Eelzone doesn't run a ton of Energies, a 1-1 Pachi Shaymin thing would just hurt consistency. You're also gone if one of them is prized.

Against Durant, you set up 2 attackers and 2 Eels. Make sure to have an energy in hand, and an energy attached when doing this. This way, you can attach Crushing Hammered energy, and have another attacker ready in case one is ko'd.

I'm not sure if I agree with setting up Eels against Durant. Getting an Eelektrik out of your active can be a pain, and they will get a Catcher basically every turn if they need to. My suggestion would be to avoid Magnezone, avoid Eelektrik, and try to set up something like Zekrom Black and White, or Mewtwo EX if worst comes to worst. It is really a bad match up, you just gotta go for Zekrom and basically nothing else. A 1-1 Pachirisu Shaymin engine tech can help you out. Try to win on time if the opportunity arises.

That is why you set up two. After retreating, you can just Dyna both energy back, so if they Catcher it, no problem.

Back