E3 2015 Discussion

It really is disappointing to see so many people hating on Federation Force. I know that there are a bunch of people who hold the Metroid franchise dearly, but it's just a spin-off game. Mario has more spin-offs than main series entries, and some of his most beloved titles like Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario TTYD are not part of the main series. Just wait to hate until you actually try the game.

(My guess is that it's Nintendo's test to test how popular Metroid is among to casual audience right now to see if a future Metroid Prime game would sell well.)

That strategy may not work. The problem is that the series has been gone so long and the last one wasn't so great, so the fanbase is looking for a return to form. A spinoff doesn't really satisfy that, so the fanbase probably isn't going to be as interested. Now if they had released this game after the next main series game and rode off that game's success, then it would probably be better received and end up selling better, but since they revealed it now there's a real disinterest in this idea.

It really is disappointing to see so many people hating on Federation Force. I know that there are a bunch of people who hold the Metroid franchise dearly, but it's just a spin-off game. Mario has more spin-offs than main series entries, and some of his most beloved titles like Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario TTYD are not part of the main series. Just wait to hate until you actually try the game.

(My guess is that it's Nintendo's test to test how popular Metroid is among to casual audience right now to see if a future Metroid Prime game would sell well.)
If Metroid were having as many releases as Mario this game would have been fairly well received (though there still would have been jokes about the football mode). Metroid hasn't seen a main series release since Other M in August 2010, and hasn't seen a good release since Prime 3 in 2007. To hear nothing about a series for so long and then be greeted by a game which is nothing to do with Metroid besides by name (Samus isn't even in it -____-) with a childified art style (and not uniquely like with Wind Waker, either, just Metroid with all of the edge and tension taken out) is basically a betrayal.

I do have concerns that Nintendo will see this and go "welp, guess the fans don't want metroid! :\" but I hope they can recognise that this game isn't metroid.

Also here's a petition for Nintendo to stop production on the game. It's pretty close to getting to its goal! https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

>petitions actually working

Would love if they did, but they usually don't. They're more of something to bring attention to the issue at hand. Keep being vocal about your distaste with this game and direction of the franchise like most of the fanbase is doing instead.

but it's just a spin-off game. Mario has more spin-offs than main series entries, and some of his most beloved titles like Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario TTYD are not part of the main series. Just wait to hate until you actually try the game.

The fact it's a spinoff isn't the problem. It's the fact that after so long without a GOOD core game, we're given a spinoff that is clearly not what a majority of the fanbase wants. Mario and other major Nintendo IPs can get away with having spinoffs because their core games are released on a yearly basis. Metroid isn't like that, as consecutive years with core game releases are a rarity excluding the Prime trilogy. Let's not forget the fact that these other Nintendo IP spinoffs are usually established games that are given a lot of care and attention to details. There's no established spinoff for Metroid like Mario, and there certainly won't be now after Nintendo butchered the marketing of this new spinoff.

The problem with this is that the game just doesn't look good to most people and it's not going to sell as a result. Part of marketing is selling the idea, and they clearly failed on that part. Nintendo can take any potential failure with sales / downloads as "hey, looks like they don't like Metroid after all". After the failure that was Other M, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo decides to put Metroid on further hiatus.

Last edited:
The Federation Force also wasn't created just for this game, they have been around a long while and they do exactly what this Metroid game is about. Travel in squads to take out threats and space pirates. Samus herself used to be in the Federation Force. Not sure how story driven this game will be, but it could certainly provide new canon to the series. No doubt Samus will make an appearance and probably Ridley too.

Getting the game cancelled? Can people act any more entitled?

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree that the casualization is affecting the entire industry. Thank god Nintendo at least avoided talking about their mobile gaming initiative today. I can't believe there's actually people who want Nintendo to move in this direction because it's a proven money maker in today's industry (or, y'know, they just don't want to spend money on a console.) I really want to blame mobile gaming for some of the problems we see, but it's an equal amount of blame on the people who actually spend money in these games.

The like/dislike ratio on the Metroid spin-off's youtube video is crazy. Probably won't matter, but hopefully this gives Nintendo the message that this isn't what the fans want.

Right now the industry has quite a few problems.
Regarding the three main companies, the big problem I see is the fact that they are in the stock market. I know they have to get funding but with each year, more news are made about what comes out of the shareholders' meetings, instead of knowing what is coming fro the creators. Joining game production with pure search for profit seems to me like heresy, a sin! Imagine if suddenly J. K. Rowling had a company about Harry Potter and she went to the stock market: if the Ecllipe series returned on force, shareholders would be probably demanding her to write more about vampires...about making Voldemort return as one. There would be no imagination and diversity and that's what we see in today companies and they follow the more profitable template and try to risk nothing, so no trial and error, just games about the trend in place.

To a certain extent I don't blame casuals. Casuals are people that don't have a console but have a phone, so when bored they pick it ut to play, but now the offer is bigger and somehow Wii was associated with these which seems not entirely right. Casuals, like other players have the right to exist, the thing is that since that market is profitable and the costs are lower and the companies are like what I said above, they follow this route. Konami is now the most disgraceful image of that and what's worse is that the company doesn't even care about it's image to traditional gamers, nor what we want.

Another major problem is the petty graphical war that rages between Sony and Microsoft and the herds of morons that follow behind these and are always asking for better graphics on consoles, which is worsened by the fact that they seem to be a mjority, so companies follow them. If these guys went to PC, the world would be a better place. Amidst these war, gameplay is ignored and the same outlines and content is regurgitaded over and over again and in these case, the prime example is Ubisoft's games , not only within AC but also contaminating Watch_Dogs and from what I've heard, Far Cry. Yves, the president, arleady said that Ubisoft now only invests on games that can be turned into franchises so we all now know that when a game is released it'll have a follow-up, now matther how bad it is but the majority yet again, have short memory and a stupid blind faith in these people like they were our guardians!

Fake DLC, one day patches (oh this one...more so with Microsoft now announcing that players can become testers and they have to pay Microsoft!!)...the so-called journalists with most of them being nothing but wh*res that get paid travel and accomodation and also regurgitate PR bulls***...

Have you heard and/or seen Game Freaks' new game about a badass elephant? The game seems pointless and worse that what I've played with Sonic back in 95/96 and worse than some of nowadays games due to it's simplicity...and yet it exists! GF seems to also be falling and failing, more so when it comes to advancing Pokémon.

This somehow didn't make it to the Digital Event, but Nintendo also released an English trailer for the new Fatal Frame game at E3. Go check it out! :D I'm so hyped that this awesome survival horror series is coming back to the west. Coming out this autumn, so I'll have something to keep me busy while I wait for FEif.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._home_console_title_would_likely_now_be_on_nx

There goes most of my respect for Nintendo. Seriously, all of this talk of "innovation" and no one wants to make the one game that can really take advantage of the Gamepad. This proves that Nintendo is hypocritical when it comes to innovation now, they haven't done any real innovation in almost a decade, they just milk their established IPs for all they're worth now. And it looks like they have no interest in changing that anytime soon. I don't think I can bring myself to buy an NX now, not until they prove that they're actually willing to make games that aren't cash ins.

While I do agree that the majority of games on the Wii U do not use the gamepad well (if at all), I would argue very strongly that the Fatal Frame game coming out in autumn (and has already been out in Japan for some time) is a very innovative and intuitive use of the gamepad. If you're not familiar with Fatal Frame's gameplay, the major focus/game mechanic is taking pictures of ghosts with a camera to damage them, and so for the Wii U version, you actually hold your gamepad up like a camera and use it to snap pictures of ghosts on your TV. Imagine what everyone was hoping for with Pokémon Snap, but using those mechanics in a survival horror game instead. It's one of the best uses of the gamepad that I've seen, which is part of the reason why I'm so excited for it to be released.

I know that a lot of people are pissed off about the Metroid delay, but you're making a lot of sweeping assumptions.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._home_console_title_would_likely_now_be_on_nx

There goes most of my respect for Nintendo. Seriously, all of this talk of "innovation" and no one wants to make the one game that can really take advantage of the Gamepad. This proves that Nintendo is hypocritical when it comes to innovation now, they haven't done any real innovation in almost a decade, they just milk their established IPs for all they're worth now. And it looks like they have no interest in changing that anytime soon. I don't think I can bring myself to buy an NX now, not until they prove that they're actually willing to make games that aren't cash ins.
This is an argument which has been annoying me for a while. I don't see how Nintendo hasn't had any innovation in 10 years when it kickstarted the motion gaming buzz singlehandedly with the Nintendo Wii. And I swear I must be the only person on the internet who actually uses the GamePad's touch screen to play games when the TV in the lounge is in use. Seriously, it's really convenient and so many arguments have been entirely circumvented. I think people also forget about the GamePad's other features horribly. Mario Kart 8 is more fun with gyro than with just the joystick 100% IMO, go use it. Even the microphone has some gimmicks in Super Mario 3D World which just ends up being really fun and amusing.

Obviously all the people care about is the touch screen though. The touch screen which is how you control your characters and fling Pikmin in Pikmin 3, a game which also makes use of the Wii U's GORGEOUS HD graphics. I think there are other control methods too, but if you're not using the touch screen that's your fault, because it's certainly most fun in Pikmin 3 with it. Oh, and it's also the same touch screen which makes Wind Waker so much easier to play in Wind Waker HD, having a map you can flick through while sailing and being able to organise your weapons into different button spots while sailing all by using the touch screen! The same GamePad which has a whole mode dedicated to it in Mario Party 10: Bowser Party, and let me tell you, those Bowser minigames are a hell of a lot of fun, and they use all the features the GamePad has (besides it's own little speakers, which are so handy when I'm playing early in the morning/late at night and don't want to wake my Dad up). No, Nintendo doesn't innovate at all, and the Wii U is a failure of a system!

The Wii U has only "failed" because Nintendo ended up having a slow start in terms of games, but don't forget that the XBone and PS4 had the same, and both of them have far less must-have games than the Wii U does. Speaking of, the Wii U also had backwards compatibility built in from the start! Hell, it's got backwards compatibility all the way to the NES thanks to Virtual Console and arguably games like NES Remix. I suppose bringing these retro games to a newer generation is also a "cash in", huh?

But no, the Wii U must be a copout because the amazing games didn't start flooding in until 2013. Since then there have been countless hits and should-be-system-sellers which have failed because the Nintendo fans are having none of it. And Nintendo must be a copout because they had a poor E3, even though they also won every E3 for I don't know how many years before this last event. For Goodness sake the hate Nintendo has got for the Wii U is so unfair and dumb, all the while I've been sat in my lounge playing on the countless amazing games Nintendo has for the system (and catching up on other games; I'm juggling Xenoblade Chronicles (not X yet, still the original) Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 AND the new Smash DLC characters/stages). Keep doing what you're doing Nintendo...

...but don't release any more free 2 plays please! :]

or bad Metroid games.

Edit: Just to clarify, this isn't directed at anyone in particular. I did use "you" a lot.

Last edited:
I want a new Metroid as much as anyone else, but you're really reaching on this being related to Metroid in any way.

Looking back, this is actually really hilarious now...

Honestly though, Nintendo's showing was bad. And I'm saying that as a pretty big Nintendo fanboy so that should tell you. Luckily, I tempered my expectations big time when they said they'd be focusing on already announced titles for this year (and then added early 2016 but that didn't really change much). I knew when that dropped that it was going to be low-key and it definitely was. The big part of E3 is the surprises and they already knew going in they weren't going to be showing off much new (and the new stuff they did show off, fans haven't taken too much liking too, which I guess is not surprising considering that Metroid but also things like a stupid Animal Crossing Amiibo Party thing; not to mention the huge focus on Amiibo in the first place which I knew was coming and Mario Tennis that not a lot of people care about).

That, combined with the no Zelda confirmed a while back sealed their fate for me. I've seen a lot of comments from people saying that would have helped/saved/etc. but honestly, the fact that they could have shown footage of it and just didn't makes it more likely to release on both the NX and the Wii U like Twilight Princess. And that may not be a bad decision tbh.

In general, it's clear that they're just waiting for the NX to me. After this year, Wii U just looks dead to me. It's nice that it's getting some good titles for the rest of this year (and I'm very excited for them). Stuff like Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X (!!), etc. But after those come out, nothing pretty much. Star Fox Zero honestly didn't look amazing to me which is a disappointment, but on the other hand, the 3DS announcements were actually kind of pleasant. I didn't expect Zelda Three Swords, a M&L+Paper Mario crossover, or a Metroid Prime Hunters kind of thing but I'm certainly interested in them. And it's clear that their focus will be on the 3DS until the NX comes out. Honestly, I think that's the smart decision at this point. They've already said if they make another console Metroid came, it will be on the NX. I forsee that happening for a lot of their IPs so they don't have a botched launch for it like they had for the Wii U (I think they've also said they would want Mario around launch for it too, and just imagine Zelda as well...hoo boy).

dmaster out.

Metroid being on the NX is exactly what I wanted, it will be a great title to play on the NX early as new consoles are usually are sparse on games that interest me. This could also be a hint as how serious the NX could be and I will eagerly await more. I believe the game will only get better by being on the NX.

Anyone else surprised they announced nothing about the New 3DS? No games for it, nothing. I didn't buy one cause I wanted to see how necessary it was, but so far nothing and I'm glad I held off. They didn't even put up a port, I figured Hyrule Warriors would have made a great N3DS title and the game would have been less gimped. I wanted Nintendo to give me a reason to pick one up.

This is an argument which has been annoying me for a while. I don't see how Nintendo hasn't had any innovation in 10 years when it kickstarted the motion gaming buzz singlehandedly with the Nintendo Wii. And I swear I must be the only person on the internet who actually uses the GamePad's touch screen to play games when the TV in the lounge is in use. Seriously, it's really convenient and so many arguments have been entirely circumvented. I think people also forget about the GamePad's other features horribly. Mario Kart 8 is more fun with gyro than with just the joystick 100% IMO, go use it. Even the microphone has some gimmicks in Super Mario 3D World which just ends up being really fun and amusing.

Obviously all the people care about is the touch screen though. The touch screen which is how you control your characters and fling Pikmin in Pikmin 3, a game which also makes use of the Wii U's GORGEOUS HD graphics. I think there are other control methods too, but if you're not using the touch screen that's your fault, because it's certainly most fun in Pikmin 3 with it. Oh, and it's also the same touch screen which makes Wind Waker so much easier to play in Wind Waker HD, having a map you can flick through while sailing and being able to organise your weapons into different button spots while sailing all by using the touch screen! The same GamePad which has a whole mode dedicated to it in Mario Party 10: Bowser Party, and let me tell you, those Bowser minigames are a hell of a lot of fun, and they use all the features the GamePad has (besides it's own little speakers, which are so handy when I'm playing early in the morning/late at night and don't want to wake my Dad up). No, Nintendo doesn't innovate at all, and the Wii U is a failure of a system!

The Wii U has only "failed" because Nintendo ended up having a slow start in terms of games, but don't forget that the XBone and PS4 had the same, and both of them have far less must-have games than the Wii U does. Speaking of, the Wii U also had backwards compatibility built in from the start! Hell, it's got backwards compatibility all the way to the NES thanks to Virtual Console and arguably games like NES Remix. I suppose bringing these retro games to a newer generation is also a "cash in", huh?

But no, the Wii U must be a copout because the amazing games didn't start flooding in until 2013. Since then there have been countless hits and should-be-system-sellers which have failed because the Nintendo fans are having none of it. And Nintendo must be a copout because they had a poor E3, even though they also won every E3 for I don't know how many years before this last event. For Goodness sake the hate Nintendo has got for the Wii U is so unfair and dumb, all the while I've been sat in my lounge playing on the countless amazing games Nintendo has for the system (and catching up on other games; I'm juggling Xenoblade Chronicles (not X yet, still the original) Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 AND the new Smash DLC characters/stages). Keep doing what you're doing Nintendo...

...but don't release any more free 2 plays please! :]

I really suck at estimating. I'm talking more of late Wii and Wii U, so let's say 5 years.

Anyway, the Wii was a genuinely great idea and started out with some fantastic games. We had Metroid Prime 3 which used the Wii Remote in some interesting ways and really took FPS to the next level (well, on consoles anyway). We had Mario Galaxy which also made use of the Wii Remote for new things and gave us a bold new Mario adventure with innovative gravity mechanics. I was fine with everything then.

This all really started around 2009-2010, when we started seeing a surge of 2D platformers on the Wii. There was NSMB Wii in 2009, Donkey Kong Country Returns in 2010, and Kirby's Return to Dreamland in 2011 to name a few. Now this was all right at the time, several of these games hadn't been seen in a while (the last new DK platformer was on the SNES and the last console Kirby game was on the N64) and the Wii already had some great games so they could be ignored if you really didn't want them. But there were some disturbing trends that popped at this point. NSMB Wii was similar to the first NSMB. Very similar. In fact, it's practically the same gameplay altogether with a few neat things thrown in. Also (and this isn't a 2D platformer but it's relevant to the problem), we had Super Mario Galaxy 2 which was meant to expand on what the first Galaxy game did. It did add some new powerups and level gimmicks, but it also watered a lot of things down, the story was downplayed because Miyamoto wanted to focus on gameplay, the gravity mechanics were more subdued, they started making more levels with less Power Stars in them, and the hub was watered down and paired with a Classic style map screen. Basically, the game started resembling the Classic 2D games more.

Then they launched 3DS and Wii U. Neither of these consoles really have great hardware innovations (3DS is literally just a DS with stereoscopic 3D graphics, whereas the Wii U is just DS in console form, which doesn't exactly open up to some exciting new possibilities for games), they're more like past gen consoles than Nintendo consoles have ever been since the SNES.

As for the games, none of them are particularly inspiring. None of the games have really come up with great ways to use the hardware, at best they usually just use the touch screen for the same things they did last gen. But what's really driven home the point of how un-innovative the games on these consoles have become is what's happened to their platformers. My god does it suck to be a platformer fan this gen. We got an entire slew of 2D platformers (plus 3D Land and 3D World, which were 3D platformers that played like 2D platformers) which took the NSMB Wii and Galaxy 2 approach: they recycled the same gameplay from the last game and again only really added powerups and gimmicks, the stories were all watered to excuse plots, and most of them stuck with the same kinds of level environments that we see all of the time. Basically all of their platformers turned into rehashes meant to cash in on nostalgia, there was no bold, innovative gameplay mechanics added to them to spice things up nor did they utilize the new hardware to create next gen gameplay. This especially stung with 3D World and Tropical Freeze, as we had come to expect better from 3D Mario (which until 3D World was the flagship game for the console that proved to the world that it could take Mario and Nintendo as a whole in bold new directions) and Retro Studios (who was best known for bold reinventions of classic IPs) and they handed us a steaming pile of mediocrity. In addition to rehashing, we've also seen a trend towards smaller scale download games and F2P games, and with the DeNA deal and Nintendo's entrance into the smartphone market, this is likely to go even further. And now with this E3 we're seeing games like Animal Crossing Amiibo Party and Metroid Prime Federation Force which are completely different games with the Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime games slapped on when both of those IPs are in need of main series games.

So to sum things up we've seen several disturbing development trends in the last 5 years which point towards Nintendo becoming more cash grabby and less innovative:
-Subdued hardware improvements that offer less possibilities and piggyback off the success of past consoles.
-Games that fail to utilize the hardware improvements in whatever new possibilities they provide (which granted, aren't much, but it's not as if there's nothing)
-Nostalgia fueled games that refuse to evolve their gameplay.
-Trending towards mobile style gameplay and F2P.
-Abuse of IPs by giving fans unrelated spinoffs instead of main series games.

The only semblance of innovation we're really getting now is from the games that aren't flagship IPs, and there's not a whole lot of them which really do that (ZombiU, Splatoon, I'll have to look at Fatal Frame to see about that one). Plus Nintendo themselves are the ones trying to innovate, so if they really do want to demonstrate that to consumers they really need to make that argument with high profile games that grab people's attention.

I don't think Nintendo has a problem with innovation. The GamePad is a wonderful idea, and really shows they want to keep coming up with new ways to enjoy gaming.

The problem is that they fail hard (laughably so) at executing their innovative software. Nothing on the Wii U has used this controller in an exciting and new way without feeling like it's intruding on the player's comfort. Nintendo Land stands as the best use of this funky controller in that there's really no way to play the game without it. Every other game could've moved the GamePad features to the TV screen.

For some examples,
- Splatoon: Move the map to the TV screen and associate Super Jump options with the DPad
- Hyrule Warriors: Split TV screen, rather than split total screens
- Wind Waker HD: Go back to the traditional menus.
- Mario 3D World: Touch platforms go to being timed platforms. Nothing of value is lost.
- Super Mario Bros. U: lmao who actually likes being "the platform creator guy"
- Captain Toad: the gamepad is actually more of a hindrance here because they tried to be innovative. The camera is awful and it's locked to gyro controls meaning it'll always suck.

Even for amiibos, just make that NFC reader compatible for Wii U and it's golden. It'd also remove the clunky transitions from Mario Party 10, though that game still has it's issues.

This idea if solid theory, fails in practice seems to be a recurring theme with this E3's lineup. We all wanted new Metroid, new Animal Crossing, new Star Fox, new Paper Mario, new Zelda, etc. They know that, and that's not the issue. If you tole people that we had all of those games and didn't tell them anything about what the games actually are, chances are they'd think Nintendo won E3. But in executing those ideas, well... fan reception kind of speaks for itself.

I don't think Nintendo has a problem with innovation. The GamePad is a wonderful idea, and really shows they want to keep coming up with new ways to enjoy gaming.

The problem is that they fail hard (laughably so) at executing their innovative software. Nothing on the Wii U has used this controller in an exciting and new way without feeling like it's intruding on the player's comfort. Nintendo Land stands as the best use of this funky controller in that there's really no way to play the game without it. Every other game could've moved the GamePad features to the TV screen.

For some examples,
- Splatoon: Move the map to the TV screen and associate Super Jump options with the DPad
- Hyrule Warriors: Split TV screen, rather than split total screens
- Wind Waker HD: Go back to the traditional menus.
- Mario 3D World: Touch platforms go to being timed platforms. Nothing of value is lost.
- Super Mario Bros. U: lmao who actually likes being "the platform creator guy"
- Captain Toad: the gamepad is actually more of a hindrance here because they tried to be innovative. The camera is awful and it's locked to gyro controls meaning it'll always suck.

Even for amiibos, just make that NFC reader compatible for Wii U and it's golden. It'd also remove the clunky transitions from Mario Party 10, though that game still has it's issues.

This idea if solid theory, fails in practice seems to be a recurring theme with this E3's lineup. We all wanted new Metroid, new Animal Crossing, new Star Fox, new Paper Mario, new Zelda, etc. They know that, and that's not the issue. If you tole people that we had all of those games and didn't tell them anything about what the games actually are, chances are they'd think Nintendo won E3. But in executing those ideas, well... fan reception kind of speaks for itself.

Nintendo's not that incompetent that they can't come up with ways to use it, we've seen some level of creativity in Nintendo Land and there's been some ideas brought up about how Metroid could use the Gamepad. So the execution isn't really the problem. It's more likely that they simply don't want to.

Nintendo's not that incompetent that they can't come up with ways to use it, we've seen some level of creativity in Nintendo Land and there's been some ideas brought up about how Metroid could use the Gamepad. So the execution isn't really the problem. It's more likely that they simply don't want to.
I mentioned Nintendo Land in my post as the game that uses the GamePad the best. However, compare Nintendo Land to the rest of the library and you'll realize that the GamePad ends up being shoehorned into so much of what they do (perfect examples being Smash Bros., Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors) where it just ends up being this glorified pro-controller (with a second screen, in Hyrule Warrior's case).

And regardless, we're actually arguing the same point. You're saying they don't want to use the GamePad well. I'm arguing that they aren't using the GamePad well. Both of us are therefore in agreement that they don't use the GamePad well.

I'M BACK. Time for a quick rundown of my time at E3.

Bethesda - I wasn't there for the conference, watched it online, but here we go. Showed 5-6 games total, only thing people liked/cared about was Fallout 4. Doom looked slow and generic. Dishonored 2 was surprising, but we'll see how it turns out. Hyped for Fallout 4 though. Best showing of any single game in all of E3.

Microsoft - Best show of the year, even if it wasn't all that great. Lots of game reveals and gameplay, and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility rocked the room. Also the Minecraft Hololens thing was cool. Had the best playable demos too. Halo 5 probably won't be awful. I don't even like Xbox and I had a good time.

EA - Hahahahahaha EA was terrible. Start off with new Mass Effect? Awesome! Unravel looked cute, felt bad for the presenter though. He looked nervous. Then game the SPORTS. Half an hour of goddamn SPORTS. No one cared at all. It was unbearable. Mirror's Edge looked good though, interested in that. And of course, Battlefront. It was bad. Really bad. It's just a reskinned Battlefield 4 and the maps are abysmally small and empty in comparison. Huge letdown.

Ubisoft - Only thing that mattered during the conference was South Park. Rest of the conference I didn't care that much about (at least it wasn't sports). But I got to see For Honor during the demos and that was incredible, so it wasn't a total loss.

Sony - "Hey look we're not Xbox! We've sold so many consoles! Look at all this stuff you can get about 30 days before Xbox does!" That was the gist of it. Only showed 3 exclusives overall and the only one that was interesting was Horizon. The Last Guardian looked dated and boring (even compared to SotC, which I enjoyed immensely), and Uncharted looked like the usual. Not exactly my cup of tea, but my friend liked it. Some nice other reveals though, especially Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 remake. But Shenmue 3 not being funded by Sony ruined it for me. Overall the conference was ruined by "early exclusivity". It ruins the market and makes the console superiority complex even worse than it already is. Hilariously most of the "early exclusivity" stuff is being released on PC at the same time anyway. PC Master Race.

Nintendo - They dropped the ball down a well into the sewers that went to the center of the Earth where it exploded but did nothing. Star Fox looked bad at reveal (though playing it changed my mind) and almost everything else was worthless. We already knew about 90% of the games they showed. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam was the only redeeming factor, but it wasn't enough. Thankfully the game demos later were good. We got to play the World Championship stages in Super Mario Maker. Had a lot of fun with that.

Conferences: Microsoft > Bethesda > Sony > Ubisoft > Nintendo > EA
Demos: Nintendo > Microsoft > Sony > Ubisoft (did not participate in EA nor Bethesda demos)

Feel free to ask any questions about my totally fun experiences.

My friends and family are generally Nintendo enthusiasts, so I paid more attention to what Nintendo was doing this year. Overall, it was pretty disappointing. Perhaps Nintendo is focusing more on their upcoming NX, which wasn't being shown at E3, and this was the reason Nintendo disappointed at E3 this year.

Also, Metroid Prime Federation Force didn't just disappoint me, it upset me. What was Nintendo thinking?

It would be taken better if it didn't use Metroid Prime in the name.
That's kind of hard to say for sure. If MPFF didn't have Metroid Prime in it's name, it would just seem like an ordinary sci-fi FPS that wouldn't stand out in any way. So the Metroid Prime name does help it in that sense. It seems more to me like using the Metroid Prime name with that game doesn't help the Metroid Prime name very much.

Back