E3 2015 Discussion

Well we already knew about all of Nintendo's big games. Woolly World is out in a few days here in Europe, so there really isn't much point showing off new gameplay and trying to build any more hype up at E3 when arguably having the gameplay leaked to America in a week will build up MORE hype than Nintendo revealing it themselves. I think it was pretty clever.

I'm looking through GameXplain's trailers, and the new Paper Mario game is actually really exciting to me. It looks like it has the personality which the Mario RPG games are famous for, and the gameplay is classic Paper Mario, and not any of that Sticker Star bullshit, which I really don't think anyone is disappointed in lol.

I haven't watched Star Fox or Metroid trailers yet because I can't have volume on, but the name of the new Metroid game is actually a total turnoff for me. It seems too mainstream, whereas the thing which I love about Metroid is how it's like Xbox and Sony games but with the Nintendo flare.

Nintendo is a little tapped out. We're not getting another Mario 3D title for the Wii U, and this is just something we have to accept. Zelda has been delayed, but it's not exactly a surprise. Pokemon has also had a few releases recently, and realistically that's Nintendo's trinity of franchises. At this point I'd say that Fire Emblem might be number 4, and we've got some news for the series (what news I don't exactly know at this stage).

Didn't Nintendo say that they weren't going to come this year, but had to change their mind in the end? I'm pretty sure they realise this, but they didn't have a choice but to go.

This is a nice break for Nintendo fans though. I haven't been able to keep up with the constant flow of amazing games financially... this gives me a chance to go back and buy some of the games I had to miss out. I bought Bayonetta 2 a week ago and holy shit is that game good. I think it could well be my favourite game ever, but that title has changed so much recently. Nintendo's had such a good streak, it had to die down at some point.

We still have Yoshi's Woolly World and Fire Emblem Fates to keep up entertained for a while though! ;)

Oh yeah, people above talked about Metroid. What the hell was that multiplayer game (the soccer one was announced yesterday or before)? People asking for a true Metroid and what they got was this?

I had a smile on my face when the event started but I was indeed sick of Marios stuff by the end and that final video would be a lot bearable if not for the excess that came before!

People were also expecting some king of WiiU Animal Crossing and what they get was a game based on board games?

I know Nintendo is probably giving its first step with open-worlds but this just keeps saying that a WiiU mega Pokémon game is nearly impossible!

Skylanders partnership? Yeah, that was what people were really expecting!

Miyamoto's explanation about Starfox also got boring after a while!

Last but not least, using Amiibo to make those words is a joke to fans that are dying to get their hands on certain if not most Amiibo with all the rarity they have due to (ridiculously) limited numbers!

Didn't Nintendo say that they weren't going to come this year, but had to change their mind in the end? I'm pretty sure they realise this, but they didn't have a choice but to go.

It would be an embarassment and a shame for them if they didn't showed anything, namely for WiiU owners. They would be basically saying that NX is their total focus, which in a very sad way was passed throught this event anyway.

At this point I'd say that Fire Emblem might be number 4, and we've got some news for the series (what news I don't exactly know at this stage).

The game itself is coming out in Japan next week, and there have been articles and trailers and analyses for the past month or so. I've talked a bit about it in the FE thread in BL, mostly to myself, but still. :p You can check out over there for highlights if you want. This trailer had a few sneak peaks of new stuff, but really the biggest thing from E3 in terms of FE is the English name. It was nice to see that they're progressing well with the localization efforts, too.

Oh yeah, people above talked about Metroid. What the hell was that multiplayer game (the soccer one was announced yesterday or before)? People asking for a true Metroid and what they got was this?

I would have preferred nothing over this. It's been five years (eight if you like to ignore Other M) since the last core Metroid game, and what we get instead is a cartoonish spinoff with DS graphics and gameplay that teases the hell out of Prime 4 that we'll never get. At least F-Zero fans either get nothing or a cool representation in Mario Kart. This is a slap in the face.

I try to keep silent about my gripes, but the direction Nintendo has taken has irked me recently. Amiibo, Pokemon embracing this P2W movement, and the overall casualization of things has pushed me further away from this company. Nintendo's revolutionary ideas were great in the past, but now it just seems like they're trailing the other gaming companies. They could really compete if they tried to do working ideas, they're just stuck in this mindset to be different and unique that can be off-putting to some.

i'll probably still shill out money because it's nintendo ;0

edit: GOD THEYRE SHOWING THIS METROID SPINOFF ON TREEHOUSE NOW AND ITS KILLING ME SLOWLY : (

Seems that my faith was misplaced. The only things that caught my eye with Nintendo was Xenogears, Fire Emblem and Starfox. Also an insight into game design philosophy with Mario Maker.
I really wish Fire Emblem wasn't split into two games. It makes sense given the context but it'll just end up seperating a potentially great game (from what I've seen. Haven't looked into it considerably).
Xenogears and Starfox look kickass. Want more information ASAP.

Also what the gosh dang heck Nintendo? No Fatal Frame? The game with the best use of the gamepad outside of a Pokemon Snap sequel and not a single peep about it. Would have covered a lot of target audiences if they included it.
SMTxFE is pushing away my love with more and more of this vocaloid stuff. Appears as though they want to make a karaoke and dance game soon after it's released. Just what both series are about.

The Square Enix conference made me want to sleep. Deus Ex hype and I got a friend who will go ape over that Kingdom Hearts footage. Some Platinum star people are helping to make the next Nier but all that does is make me want to play the first so I have context with amazing Platinum gameplay.
That's about it. FF7 was covered with Sony. Project Satsuna is hardly worth mentioning at this point.

RIP Metroid. You ended with a pathetic yelp.

I would have preferred nothing over this. It's been five years (eight if you like to ignore Other M) since the last core Metroid game, and what we get instead is a cartoonish spinoff with DS graphics and gameplay that teases the hell out of Prime 4 that we'll never get. At least F-Zero fans either get nothing or a cool representation in Mario Kart. This is a slap in the face.

I try to keep silent about my gripes, but the direction Nintendo has taken has irked me recently. Amiibo, Pokemon embracing this P2W movement, and the overall casualization of things has pushed me further away from this company. Nintendo's revolutionary ideas were great in the past, but now it just seems like they're trailing the other gaming companies. They could really compete if they tried to do working ideas, they're just stuck in this mindset to be different and unique that can be off-putting to some.

i'll probably still shill out money because it's nintendo ;0

edit: GOD THEYRE SHOWING THIS METROID SPINOFF ON TREEHOUSE NOW AND ITS KILLING ME SLOWLY : (

Haven't you heard of "FAST Racing Neo"? It's basically F-Zero but cheapened! Metroid and F-Zero fans are getting games that look like cheaper cousinf for the mobile devices!

Honestly and in my case, it isn't just Nintendo. I've never been a gamer of Microsoft but their yesterday event was lousy, full of FPS, an actual car on setting! I don't have any hopes for Ubisoft to come with a decent Driver, BG&E2 and Assassin's Creed. All we hear about Sony is rumours of remasters and definitives editions, the petty graphical war between Sony and Microsoft continues with people (gamers) blissfully blind taking part of it and journalists raising the embers, no major improvment on enemies AI, new mechanics...I thnik the treasures might be on some indie games but IGA's and Shenmue Kickstarters campaign and some shameful others left me with little hope.
With Dishonored, the trend seems to be Victorian London, with AC: Syndicate and The Order, AC Black Flag has probably given rise to the Sea of Pirates or something shown on Microsoft's event. Derilets' games seems like AC. Konami going s***.
I'll buy some PS4 titles when they're cheaper and only when it comes a slim and cheaper version will I buy PS4, because aside from that I'll only get to be the player that I was when I have children and I'm going to make them have fun with Nintendo.

Edit: I'll seriously never understand what's so special about FFVII! I've only played VIII and even so seeing a remaster of it would be heresy because the game looks stunning and it's a product of it's era.

Also, what's so special about The Last Guardian? What's the gameplay into it? Seeing yesterday's video, I was enraged by that stupid beast destroying that amazing place.

Yeah, casualization is across the board, not just Nintendo. You can blame mobile gamers vastly outnumbering hardcore gamers for that.

Yeah, I agree that the casualization is affecting the entire industry. Thank god Nintendo at least avoided talking about their mobile gaming initiative today. I can't believe there's actually people who want Nintendo to move in this direction because it's a proven money maker in today's industry (or, y'know, they just don't want to spend money on a console.) I really want to blame mobile gaming for some of the problems we see, but it's an equal amount of blame on the people who actually spend money in these games.

The like/dislike ratio on the Metroid spin-off's youtube video is crazy. Probably won't matter, but hopefully this gives Nintendo the message that this isn't what the fans want.

I really want both of the New Animal Crossing games. Happy Home Designer looks like everything I love about Animal Crossing (the designing stuff) with none of the awful stuff (the money grinding). Amiibo Festival looks like the Mario Party sequel I've wanted for years, and it's compatible with the Amiibo Cards from Home Designer for mini-games so I have no reason not get it.

Woolly World, Xenoblade X and Fire Emblem Fates are also on my list, but I'm not nearly for excited for them as I am for Animal Crossings.

Out of the titles Nintendo did announce the only ones that interested me were Super Mario Maker and the Paper Mario type game. Overall I was very disappointed with what Nintendo showcased. Microsoft and Sony did much better. No main series Pokemon game revealed either didn't help Nintendo's cause any.

Say what you want about it but I will be getting Tri-Force Heroes (and probably M&L Paper Jam). I wasn't really dissapointed since I didn't expect anything, but hoped for Pokémon main games.

Star Fox and Super Mario Maker look really good but I don't have a WiiU.

I would give the Digital Event a 7/10 (good) and the E3 of Nintendo a 8/10. (Can't forget the Pre-E3 stuff like the Micro-Direct, Smash, Mother, ...).

There is still lots to be revealed about Metroid Prime: FF, but nothing about it so far should have raised so much cynicism. Hopefully once people stop kicking and screaming because it's not a main entrant, they will realize we're getting a really cool Metroid game.

A 4-player FPS-adventure that is kind of Monster Hunter like in the way you clear areas, all based in the worlds of Metroid Prime and filled with enemies, powerups, and bosses, and people are complaining. Seriously?

There is still lots to be revealed about Metroid Prime: FF, but nothing about it so far should have raised so much cynicism. Hopefully once people stop kicking and screaming because it's not a main entrant, they will realize we're getting a really cool Metroid game.

A 4-player FPS-adventure that is kind of Monster Hunter like in the way you clear areas, all based in the worlds of Metroid Prime and filled with enemies, powerups, and bosses, and people are complaining. Seriously?

There's two reasons why the fanbase is so eager for a main series Metroid. First, because Other M left the series on a sour note and they want to see a high quality game again. Second, because it's probably the best game to make use of the Gamepad (map and menu screens, aiming, scanning and visor control), it'll be a huge missed opportunity if it doesn't get a Wii U release.

Regardless though, I've seen gameplay of FF and it's not that interesting. It lacks pretty much all of the charm that the main series has, there's no exploration and most of the iconic powerups aren't there. It just feels like a generic co-op FPS.

It's getting hate because of the fact it's the first Metroid game we've seen in a long time and it's not even a major entry. There's a reason people hate on this and not other spinoffs that are lackluster compared to the core games, such as Pinball and Hunters. Those games at least came out when core Metroid games were being released around the same time. If you didn't like the Metroid spinoff, you had plenty of other core Metroid games to pick from.

I was really wishing Metroid's revival would be like how it was after they skipped the N64. After an eight year period with no new Metroid game, we were given Metroid Prime and Fusion. Instead of something like that, we're given a game that doesn't remind us at all of Metroid's dark, alienated feel. People are hating it because virtually nothing here reminds us of the Metroid we love and missed. It's like they thought the only way they could sell this idea is if the game was called Metroid. If the game didn't have Metroid in the title, I guarantee it would not be getting the same level of hate. This spinoff is like if we finally get an F-Zero game, but it's just a game where you pick a car (NOT BLUE FALCON) and crash them into each other in a demolition derby style game. Oh, and it's on 3DS with jagged graphics and very little content. It's a cool concept if included as a bonus feature in a true F-Zero entry, but not as its own game after years of hiatus.

Nobody is saying this game is bad or can't be fun. It's just not the right thing to release after five (or eight if you hate other m) years without a major release in the franchise.

I didn't expect a main entrant. I figured maybe we would get a 2D one on the 3DS, but getting a Prime style FPS on the 3DS was totally unexpected and awesome. I don't believe Metroid has to be held on this pedestal where the break in the fast has to be immaculate. Metroid has large gaps between console entrants. This seems a lot shorter because they decided to make Prime a trilogy so we had console releases happening about every other year. The time for a new console Metroid will fall right near the end of the Wii U. From a business point, if they put the new Zelda on the Wii U, they are better off with-holding Metroid. It don't think it would be wise to release both Zelda and Metroid so late when you need a good jump on the next console. They have already shown Zelda so it's harder to take that back. Metroid could be a launch title for the NX and revealed alongside with it.

If Nintendo is the goose, I want what's good for it. I'm completely patient with Metroid and OK with, even for, the next console game being on the NX. Not expecting any FPS Metroid, and then getting it in the form of co-op on my most played gaming device in the last few years, I'm a happy Metroid fan.

From a business point, if they put the new Zelda on the Wii U, they are better off with-holding Metroid. It don't think it would be wise to release both Zelda and Metroid so late when you need a good jump on the next console. They have already shown Zelda so it's harder to take that back. Metroid could be a launch title for the NX and revealed alongside with it.

They had no problem releasing 2D platformers around the same time, they wouldn't be bothered by having Zelda and Metroid within the same year (probably about a month or two apart).

I would say that a Metroid next year is likely due to it being the 30th anniversary, but I doubt they would care to do anything after ignoring Metroid's 25th and 20th anniversaries. It's a damn shame that the only thing we might be getting next year are these spinoffs.

...but hey, Year of Luigi was certainly deserving of an anniversary. : ^ )

Even though we didn't get much information, I LOVE what I saw of Starfox Zero. It takes me right back to the classic Starfox I know and love. No more adventures crap or dinos. Whoo hoo! :D

It really is disappointing to see so many people hating on Federation Force. I know that there are a bunch of people who hold the Metroid franchise dearly, but it's just a spin-off game. Mario has more spin-offs than main series entries, and some of his most beloved titles like Mario Kart 64 and Paper Mario TTYD are not part of the main series. Just wait to hate until you actually try the game.

(My guess is that it's Nintendo's test to test how popular Metroid is among to casual audience right now to see if a future Metroid Prime game would sell well.)

Back