Ruling Downer material with legends

Bix

Insector07
So if my opponent has AMU out wit Downer material in effect, it dosent count for legends right??

That is correct; it does not affect Legend Pokemon. Legend Pokemon are stageless both in and out of play.

You are wrong DNA.

I will copy from pokegym because they said it best:
The current game term for a Pokemon in play that is in play directly and not evolved from a previous stage is "Unevolved".
Older cards such as Azelf MT (the change in terminology is only a year or so old) use the term "basic".
This was confusing because one of the types of Pokemon cards is "Basic" and yet a Pokemon in play could be evolved even though "Basic" (if evolved from a Baby Pokemon) or a Stage 1 or Stage 2 Pokemon could be in play as a "Basic" due to game effects.
Hence the change in terminology.

However, when an older card refers to a Basic Pokemon in play, it means "unevolved" and so Legend Pokemon count for this. The attack cost would be increased.

This must have been recent. I asked my friend on the Rules Team (on May 29th) if Legend Pokemon count as Basics when in play, and he said no. Furthermore I don't see anything in the Compendium that equates 'unevolved' directly with 'basic'.

Can you please provide the link to where you found this?

According to the HeartGold SoulSilver FAQs, DNA is correct.

HGSS FAQ said:
Q: When my opponent has Uxie, Mesprit, and an Azelf (MT) with the “Downer Material” Poke-Body in play, what is the Energy cost for Ho-oh LEGEND’s “Bright Wing” attack?
A: It’s 4 units of Fire Energy. The Downer Material Poke-Body has an effect that works on the opponent’s Basic Pokemon. Ho-oh LEGEND has a special rule called the “Legendary Pokemon rule”. Since it’s treated as a Legendary Pokemon and not a Basic Pokemon, the effect of the Downer Material Poke-Body doesn’t hit it.

Back