Double Bladed Dragon (GBU Doubles/VGC)

Alan

No Items. Not Ever.
Hello everybody. I wanted to build a team around my newly accuired shiny Garchomp after clearing the Black Tower. I have much expierience with Garchomp but have never based a team around it. I'm most comfortable with VGC so I made my team for that (SV Chomp isn't legal for 6 v 6 anyways.) Onto the RMT!

AT A GLANCE

445.png
485.png
480.png
479-wash.png
448.png
094.png

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS
445.png

I started with Garchomp. Garchomp is one of the most powerful Pokemon in the history of Pokemon. With it's insane offensive stats, Fantastic STAB, and decently bulky defenses, it is no wonder why Garchomp is one of the most popular VGC pokemon. I went with Protect+3 Attacks for his set.
485.png
448.png

I next added Heatran and Lucario. Heatran is a fantastic Ice resist and Lucario is a decent one as well. I mainly added Lucario to have some form of reliable revenge killing. Heatran also has Toxic on it to help against immensely bulky trolls like Dusclops. More info on these guys later.
479-wash.png
480.png

I needed a way to fight Trick Room, so I added Uxie since Cresselia is boring. It also has Giga Drain, a strange but useful coverage move against Gastrodon. Rotom was added since it has good partner synergy with Garchomp as it is immune to Earthquake. It also adds more coverage to this team.
094.png

Lastly I added Gengar to tie the team together. I had a noticable weakness to fighting, so I added a much needed immunity. Gengar also levitates so he makes a good partner to Garchomp as well.
IN-DEPTH LOOK

24mc7qa.png

Fat Jimmmy/Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpDef)
Ability: Sand Veil
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Protect
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
This is Garchomp's most powerful set. It's solid coverage with Dragon Claw and Earthquake is quite something. Stone Edge is mainly for hitting Volcarona since I am not a fan of Rock Slide. While Garchomp has a few popular weaknesses such as Latios and Hydreigon, I have Heatran as a trusty switch in for the most dangerous of foes. It is a pretty self explanitory set.

485.png

Ganondorf/Heatran @ Air Balloon
Quiet Nature (+SpAtk, -Spd)
Ability: Flash Fire
252 HP/252 SpAtk/ 4 SpDef
-Protect
-Toxic
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
This is a decent set for Heatran. Protect is a all around good move mainly for scouting and avoiding Earthquakes. Toxic is a strange choice for VGC but can be helpful against bulky Pokemon such as Cresselia. Flamethrower is an all around good attack that, in combonation with Earth Power, give perfect coverage. Earth Power is my last move that adds coverage to this set and lets me hit other Heatran. The item Air Balloon lets me avoid Earthquakes on T1 and any other turns I'm floating.

448.png

BILLLAYYYY/Lucario @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Ability: Steadfast
134 HP/252 Atk/124 Spd
-Ice Punch
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Protect
This is a highly effective Lucario set with very specific EV investments. 124 Speed EVs alllow me to outpace Base 115 Pokemon thanks to my Choice Scarf. Ice Punch nails Pokemon with a 4x Ice weakness very powerfully. Max Attack Lucario's Ice Punch has a 79% Chance to OHKO non-Yache Garchomp, a very good thing to have indeed. Through Cloyster I have learned that Rock and Ice type moves on Choice Scarfed Pokemon is very useful in a number of situations. However, Lucario is far easier to switch in when compaired to Cloyster and requires less investment in Speed and also has higher offensive stats. Close Combat is a powerful STAB move that puts a dent in anything not hit by my other moves. Protect is filler but since Protect on choiced Pokemon is quite strange, it can be useful for bluffing other sets.

480.png

Cheese/Uxie @ Sitrus Berry
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Ability: Levitate
252 HP/128 SpAtk/128 SpDef
-Protect
-Trick Room
-Giga Drain
-Psyshock
Uxie is an odd choice but he is such an awesome guy I felt like using him. Protect might be changed to Helping Hand but for now it is a scouting move. The main purpose of Uxie is to reverse Trick Room which is why I have Trick Room on it's set. My team could possibly play in Trick Room, but I'm yet to try it. Giga Drain and Psyshock are my 2 offensive moves that can do their job right, being able to 2HKO Gastrodon and Hitmontop. Not much else to say about it as it is pretty straightforward.

479-wash.png

BMO/Rotom-W @ Wide Lens
Modest Nature (+SpAtk,-Atk)
Ability: Levitate
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
-Protect
-Will-O-Wisp
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
While at first glance this Rotom seems shaky, Wide Lens solves the main issues with this set. Protect provides assurance in the vast and unknown world of VGC. Will-O-Wisp is a nice move that can cripple many of the things that can threaten this team like Hitmontop. Will-O-Wisp also shuts down Metagross, a very popular VGC Pokemon, the majority of the time. Hydro Pump is a very powerful move that no Pokemon wants to take. Thunderbolt is like Hydro Pump, powerful and scary.

094.png

DeadJimmmy/Gengar @ Focus Sash
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 Def
-Protect
-Destiny Bond
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
Gengar is sorta filler, but he gets the job done. Protect is a good move all around in VGC, so why not? Destiny Bond is good for messing with opponents when my sash breaks. Shadow Ball is Gengar's better STAB type so I'm using that. Thunderbolt is a coverage move that can hit many things for big damage. It's your basic hard-hitter Pokemon.

THREATLIST
HUGE THREAT
MEDIUM THREAT
LOW THREAT
637.png
Dangerous after a QD. Easily walled by Heatran or OHKO'd by Lucario's Rock Slide or Garchomp's Stone Edge.
237.png
Hitmontop is a threat since it often carries Sucker Punch and that threatens Gengar's switch-in ability. It threatens 2 team members with it's Close Combat. Easily Crippled by Rotom-W or 2HKO'd by Uxie.
423.png
423east.png
It can threaten my team with Ice Beam + Scald while I can do little back.However is weak to Toxic and 2HKO'd by Uxie.
445.png
Scarf Garchomp outspeeds and destroys my team. Not sure how to handle. Uncommon Set.
609.png
579.png
Easily handles my TR reverser and sets it up itself. Can be sorta taken care of with Gengar Pre-Trick Room.

Rate away!

Question-Is the Garchomp Naughty because you can't soft-reset for a better nature or you just settled for it? Because that's not the best choice. I like Toxic on Heatran simply for the reason you said you had it. Death to Cresselia. Good luck using that Rotom-W (not saying it's a bad set, just risky), I used one almost exactly like that and missed more than half of my Will-O-Wisps. Interesting choice with the Scarf/Protect combo on Lucario, but not necessarily anything you have to change. I have to ask though, what is the advantage of Psyshock over Psychic? I've always wondered that, and always thought it was inferior.

Pokeplayer44 said:
Question-Is the Garchomp Naughty because you can't soft-reset for a better nature or you just settled for it? Because that's not the best choice. I like Toxic on Heatran simply for the reason you said you had it. Death to Cresselia. Good luck using that Rotom-W (not saying it's a bad set, just risky), I used one almost exactly like that and missed more than half of my Will-O-Wisps. Interesting choice with the Scarf/Protect combo on Lucario, but not necessarily anything you have to change. I have to ask though, what is the advantage of Psyshock over Psychic? I've always wondered that, and always thought it was inferior.

Hitmontop and Amoonguss have lower base Defense than Sp. Def. I'm probably swapping Uxie for Porygon2 maybe. maybe then drop Heatran. I'm not sure.

I knew I wouldn't be able to SR a better Gible since theres no synching. It also has 26atk/31spe IVs.

If you added Porygon2 dropping either Lucario/Heatran would be needed, since that would be 3 fighting weaknesses. And I finally know the reason for Psyshock now, thanks. That's a good Gible.

I'm no expert on VGC but imma give it a shot.

I understand Cresselia is "boring" but I don't see the pont of using Uxie instead of Cress. If this were singles, it would be different, since Uxie has Stealth Rock and U-turn, both of which are really useful, however in Doubles I just feel it's outclassed.

>Same Typing
>Both have Levitate
>Both use Trick Room, Psyshock, and Helping hand
>Cresselia's 120/120/130 Defenses as opposed to Uxie's 75/130/130

If you use Uxie, something you might want to consider is Imprison. Imprison is really cool in VGC, you can shut down opposing threats, and prevent stuff like Reuniclus and Chandelure from setting up Trick Room at all, which would make Chandelure and Reuniclus significantly easier to handle. I would use Imprison/Trick Room/Protect/Helping Hand or Psyshock, Imprison will lock up anything with the other 3 moves, all of whom are extremely common. It could potentially shut down opposing Cresselia, and turn the match in your favor. Otherwise, without Imprison, there really is no reason at all not to use Cresselia instead. Much better defenses, decent speed, better Sp. Atk.

I'm not sure how you are with RNGing/IV stuff, but you could try to get Hidden Power Grass on either Heatran or Rotom to help with the Gastrodons.

I'm not sure how useful Extremespeed is on Lucario in VGC, but it might make Volcarona a tad easier to deal with. If you could just get a bit of damage on it, Extremespeed will be a quick KO as long as Reflect isn't up on your opponent's side. I know you are scarfed, but at +1, Volcarona will still outspeed you. You might want to try a Life Orb set with Espeed, and then you could run Scarf Rotom with Trick, which would help with Gastrodons and with Hitmontop. (as well as the random Adamant Garchomps, since Scarf generally uses Timid nature.) but if you provide enough pressure and don't give Volcano Moth a free turn, you might not need this change at all.

Hope I helped. Not a VGC expert, just thought I'd give my 2 cents. Nobody ever gives VGC RMT's any love. D:

Back