• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Donphan Yanmega

venasour x

Now I'm in college :)
This deck has been working great for me, but the problem is that I need some way to search out my Donphans and Yanmegas, and I can't find room.

3-3 Donphan
3-3 Yanmega
2 Zekrom
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Smeargle
1 Shaymin

~18

4 Pokemon Collector
4 Juniper
4 Junk Arm
3 Catcher
3 PlusPower
3 Copycat
3 Sage's Training
2 N
2 Switch
1 Super Rod
1 PokeGear 3.0
1 Pokemon Communication

~31

8 Fighting
3 DCE

~11

The point is to swarm Donphan v.s ZekEels/Dark.dec, and Yanmega versus CMT. Usually I will get a Donphan out and continue to Catcher prizes until he is taken down, and the continue with said stradegy above. The problem is I can't find room for more than 1 Communication, and that causes issues. Without some form of search the deck is very inconsistent. I was debating on taking Yanmega out for Tornadus, but I want another opinion before I do that. Any ideas would be great!

Honestly, I think Sage's Training is really only for ZekEels. I think PONT is much better. Also, maybe another Switch would work because I see you have a Smeargle in there. Wasting a turn by attaching to Smeargle and waiting to attack for one turn can be a game changer in this format (bad for you, good for the opponent).

Attaching to Smeargle isn't too bad since Yanmega attacks for free. Maybe minus a Collector for another Communication since you're having trouble getting the Stage 1's out?

-2 Zekrom
-3 Sages Training
-1 Juniper

+2 PONT
+1 Pokegear
+2 Pokemon Communications
+1 Switch

I don't see how Zekrom fit in with this deck. I see what you're trying to do, but your opponent will never load up Zekrom with 80-100 damage for you to hit back with. They'll either put 20-30 on it and finish the job next turn or flat out OHKO it. Sages doesn't really synergize well with this deck, PONT is better. Also, I've dropped 2 supporters from your deck, I just feel like you had far too much draw supporter with smeargle in there and a heavy Juniper line. You don't want 4 Junipers either because the last thing you want is 2 Donphans or Yanmega's in your hand and a lone Juniper. The four extra slots we just freed up would be best with 1 extra switch for when your Donphans inevitably get catchered up, 2 extra pokemon communications (although I think Ultraball could also work in this deck). and an extra pokegear.

I think a couple of Heavy Balls would help, seeing as they can get Donphan out.

Disengager said:
-2 Zekrom
-3 Sages Training
-1 Juniper

+2 PONT
+1 Pokegear
+2 Pokemon Communications
+1 Switch

I don't see how Zekrom fit in with this deck. I see what you're trying to do, but your opponent will never load up Zekrom with 80-100 damage for you to hit back with. They'll either put 20-30 on it and finish the job next turn or flat out OHKO it. Sages doesn't really synergize well with this deck, PONT is better. Also, I've dropped 2 supporters from your deck, I just feel like you had far too much draw supporter with smeargle in there and a heavy Juniper line. You don't want 4 Junipers either because the last thing you want is 2 Donphans or Yanmega's in your hand and a lone Juniper. The four extra slots we just freed up would be best with 1 extra switch for when your Donphans inevitably get catchered up, 2 extra pokemon communications (although I think Ultraball could also work in this deck). and an extra pokegear.

While I do like your ideas, Zekrom is more for countering Tornadus, which will really screw over Donphan. I think you are right about Sage's. I originally had it in the for purely sawing through my deck to get rid of cards I didn't need to kind of thin it out.

Thanks for everybodies responses!

In that case I would switch to Tornadus EX who will hit like a truck and KO a regular Tornadus for 3 + PP and will KO celebi's for 2 the second CMT puts out SAB

Grizzly said:
I think a couple of Heavy Balls would help, seeing as they can get Donphan out.

But't that's the only thing they get out.

Disengager said:
In that case I would switch to Tornadus EX who will hit like a truck and KO a regular Tornadus for 3 + PP and will KO celebi's for 2 the second CMT puts out SAB

That begs the question, 'What would be done about a Tornadus EX?' With damage on Zekrom, enough of a chunk of Tornadus EX's HP would be gone, and a Yanmega could easily finish it off for two prizes.

I'm gonna be looking to run Donphan in DE format, however still wondering whether to play straight Donphan or Donphan/Yanmega. As for the deck, I played 4-4 Yanmega with 3-3 Donphan and 2 Mewtwo EX. I found that worked great for me, but now I'm debating whether Ruins of Alph is worth playing with straight Donphan in exchange to having Yanmega in there. Realistically, what would you use Yanmega for is what I'm asking myself?

JamieSerhan17 said:
I'm gonna be looking to run Donphan in DE format, however still wondering whether to play straight Donphan or Donphan/Yanmega. As for the deck, I played 4-4 Yanmega with 3-3 Donphan and 2 Mewtwo EX. I found that worked great for me, but now I'm debating whether Ruins of Alph is worth playing with straight Donphan in exchange to having Yanmega in there. Realistically, what would you use Yanmega for is what I'm asking myself?

Yanmega isn't as good as it used to be, but I believe it still has it's uses. Your opponent has trouble getting Eels out, it can actually two-shot Tornadus, and you don't have to charge it up at all. The only downside is the relativey low damage output compared to the 180 HP Basics. But I think Mewtwo should do the trick there.

pros are that it's a counter to mewtwo, it can snipe tynamos and babies and such, and doesn't require any energy if y use judge/n (sometimes)/copycat, and has no retreat cost.

Jirachi said:
pros are that it's a counter to mewtwo, it can snipe tynamos and babies and such, and doesn't require any energy if y use judge/n (sometimes)/copycat, and has no retreat cost.

I'm actually in the process of wondering whether to run straight Donphan or to play Donphan/Yanmega, both with Ruins of Alph. I'd rather not run Mewtwo EX just because it doesn't provide much synergy with the rest of the deck although I'm still undecided at the moment as to whether it is needed.

I think it may be needed. It still is a very good mewtwo counter and can be considered as a tech. It would be safe to run mewtwo IMO.

Back