Does Reshiboar need a tech against Blastoise? UPDATED: Also need help with Donchamp!

Does Reshiboar need a tech against Blastoise?

• Yes

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

The Yoshi

Wumbo
Hey guys.

I've been testing against Blastgatr with Reshiboar, and I seem to only win if I have a really good start. I don't know what to tech for it, so that's where you guys come in. Please help!

RE: Does Reshiboar need a tech against Blastoise?

DO YOU NEED ONE: Yes.
DO I KNOW WHAT IT IS: Hmm..
Right now the one that comes to mind is ERL. ERL can be run on fire and gets easy OHKO.

Don't tech against Blastoise - with the release of Catcher it will see a lot less play;)

I could see Lanturn Prime maybe as a replacement for Zoroarc if you absolutely feared Blastoise. One lightning and two fire by itself OHKOs Blastoise, and it can survive a potshot from Hydro Launcher.

Pokemon catcher will DESTROY Blastoise once the floatzels are dragged out and killed.

Reshiboar does not really need to tech against Blastoise, unless you consider PlusPower optional. Blue Flare with a PlusPower destroys Blastoise (+2 would kill Gater), and after a couple of those they might not be able to make a comeback, especially if you get the Gater up with Catcher. As for the variants that run Floatzel they might give Reshiboar more trouble - Floatzel is a lot easier to set up than a Gater and it can actually retreat.

You could add a Zekrom or two, but that isn't really teching against Blastoise - that's just giving your deck a different avenue of attack.

And all this is coming from someone who plays Blastoise.

I agree with DNA, just run Zekrom and only use Outrage. It's much better than Lanturn Prime and it takes 1 turn less to use. One of my friends actually runs Zekrom in his ReshiBoar deck and it seems to work fine.

Pluspowers and junk arms are all the deck needs to beat blastoise. that said, two thunder falls kills all their floatzels; so you can run a ERL if you're that worried. Also, rayquaza and deoxys will take mass prizes and they will not be able to KO it back.

meh...the easiest way is run 2 zekrom...if you're up against blastigatr, just have one zekrom out and attach two energies....after it gets shot, put the second down and attach energy....boom there goes the dynamite.

if you wanna try for top cuts though then you'll need something other than just zekrom....good players are starting/have already figured out ways to work around those outrage junkies...that fun came and went within a month. gotta do more than plain ole' tank against the pros.

i guess zekrom is not the best tech against blastoise. a clever blastoise player will never hit zekrom heavy before they sniped off your ninetails, and maybe even emboar

As mentioned by DNA, you OHKO Blastoise with a plus power. Blastoise, being a stage 2, has an incredibly hard time of recovering after a couple of Blue Flares, while Reshiram can recover much faster since it is a basic

....From my extensive testing, It does need it. Some people may disagree but I like Lanturn Prime. Reason: It helps against mirror match up, two different types you have the advantage against Reshiboar and Water Decks, that is why I use it in Both my Scizor Prime and my Reshiboar deck (5 More cards then all RH :p). -Techdeck

^ You're saying that Lanturn Prime is a good tech against Reshiboar? With only 110 hp it's not going to be there very long.

DragonClyne725 said:
^ You're saying that Lanturn Prime is a good tech against Reshiboar? With only 110 hp it's not going to be there very long.
It's stage 1 and needs just 1 lightning and a dce to attack. does insane amount if you got many energies added to your pokemons.

Zhaituki said:
DragonClyne725 said:
It's stage 1 and needs just 1 lightning and a dce to attack. does insane amount if you got many energies added to your pokemons.

Stage 1 that kills a basic... and then the basic kills the stage 1

Okay, now you're down a lanturn. What now? The only 'counter' against reshiboar that you can put in is something to stop it from taking a prize per turn. I.E. Samurott or bust.

The best thing about samurott is if it is active, you can attach to your benched floatzel then move the water to the active with wash out.

I don't know if some of you realized this, but I'm looking for a counter against Blastoise for Reshiboar. Just putting that out there.

I guess Lanturn is confusing because it technically has weakness on both of them :/. I think it would be good because it can tech against Blastoise right well. Reshiboar came up in my post simply because it could also replace Zoroark for mirror matches, whereas Zoroark won't help at all vs 'Toise.

^I'll try testing with Zekrom and Lanturn(probably only a 1-1 line), and test it. Thanks for suggestions everyone! Now if only I had a tech for Donchamp... *changes title* Help!

blargh257 said:
DO YOU NEED ONE: Yes.
DO I KNOW WHAT IT IS: Hmm..
Right now the one that comes to mind is ERL. ERL can be run on fire and gets easy OHKO.

Yes. Tech a card that is weak to water and will lose you to prizes when they kill it.

ATS said:
Don't tech against Blastoise - with the release of Catcher it will see a lot less play;)

Barux said:
Pokemon catcher will DESTROY Blastoise once the floatzels are dragged out and killed.

Pokemon catcher will also DESTROY Reshiboar, because they'll drag up Tepigs and kill them before they become Boars.

Jahikoi said:
Pluspowers and junk arms are all the deck needs to beat blastoise. that said, two thunder falls kills all their floatzels; so you can run a ERL if you're that worried. Also, rayquaza and deoxys will take mass prizes and they will not be able to KO it back.

You won't get a chance to use TWO Thunder Falls, because they will kill the ERL right away. ERL isn't a good tech. RDL, yes.

If you are truly worried about your Blastgatr matchup(a deck that won't be played much), then you need to do two things.
1) Put in pluspowers(thank you DNA, for having the only sensible post on this thread)
2) Run RDL.

RDL can't get one-shot by Blastoise, unless they drop 5 Pluspowers. So...you take 4 prizes, they take 2.

Back