Dissapointing 3D Sprites in XY

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
I agree, Goldeen floating in the air is too weird. Especially when there is Magikarp which is on the ground.
Yeah. I remember even when random Pokémon, like Steelix were floating and spinning in Stadium 2 and Colo/XD.

BTW, Pidgeotto had two separate animations for flying and standing, though you could only see its standing pose in the Purify Chamber.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Yeah. I remember even when random Pokémon, like Steelix were floating and spinning in Stadium 2 and Colo/XD.

BTW, Pidgeotto had two separate animations for flying and standing, though you could only see its standing pose in the Purify Chamber.

All the flying Pokemon have standing poses in the current games, you can see them in Amii

I really think sky battles is the core reason why they went on airborne across the board for battles

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
All the flying Pokemon have standing poses in the current games, you can see them in Amii

I really think sky battles is the core reason why they went on airborne across the board for battles
I like it more back in the day, when a Pokémon that used fly would just sort of stand there.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Guys a quick solution that actually fixes these problems is to turn off the 3D switch. If you did not know #D close up is actually more harmful to your eyes then the standard 2D modes. It is better to play in 2D rather than 3D anyway. I tried it in 3D a few times just to see what it is like and there are too many flickers that can cause headaches and other health problems later in life. Just turn off 3D feature so you can have healthy eys. If you use this feature only use it for battles online. This way you can at least give your eyes some rest. If you don't like the way the 3D works just don't use it. It is optional anyway. Just because we all have a 3DS does not mean we all have to use the 3D feature to play the games. Yes it might be awesome but to your eyes it is actually more harmful so use standard play and use 3D sparingly. If you want to use 3D all the time take a break every 30 minutes or turn it of for awhile after 30 minutes. YOU DO NOT NEED 3D ALL THE TIME. Anyhow have fun and play safely.:)

Team Rocket Fan

Team Rocket Lover and Humble Katy Cat!
Guys a quick solution that actually fixes these problems is to turn off the 3D switch. If you did not know #D close up is actually more harmful to your eyes then the standard 2D modes. It is better to play in 2D rather than 3D anyway. I tried it in 3D a few times just to see what it is like and there are too many flickers that can cause headaches and other health problems later in life. Just turn off 3D feature so you can have healthy eys. If you use this feature only use it for battles online. This way you can at least give your eyes some rest. If you don't like the way the 3D works just don't use it. It is optional anyway. Just because we all have a 3DS does not mean we all have to use the 3D feature to play the games. Yes it might be awesome but to your eyes it is actually more harmful so use standard play and use 3D sparingly. If you want to use 3D all the time take a break every 30 minutes or turn it of for awhile after 30 minutes. YOU DO NOT NEED 3D ALL THE TIME. Anyhow have fun and play safely.:)
True. I NEVER use 3D. But that doesn't change the fact that the sprites aren't that good in many occasions.
Also, I love Katy Perry a looooooot too. KatyCat as well!

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
True. I NEVER use 3D. But that doesn't change the fact that the sprites aren't that good in many occasions.
Also, I love Katy Perry a looooooot too. KatyCat as well!

Ah want to take this to PM cuz I have a HUGE Youtube Channel and G+ page XD. Anyway yeah 3D is ok sometimes but not all the time. BTW I am a Katycat as well but a Male cat though.:)

Mitja

veteran smartass

Did you even read a post in the thread?

The topic is about the models of Pokemon used in gen6-games, not the actual 3d-feature of the 3DS.

This
373.png
compared to
373.png
and whether they are done well enough.

Team Rocket Fan

Team Rocket Lover and Humble Katy Cat!
Did you even read a post in the thread?

The topic is about the models of Pokemon used in gen6-games, not the actual 3d-feature of the 3DS.

This
373.png
compared to
373.png
and whether they are done well enough.
i know it's just an example but I just love the Salamence 3D Sprite.

professor layton

Aspiring Trainer
Trust me on this, it would've looked much better if it weren't for graphical limitations.

Honestly, I would've loved a pokemon game with models from Pokedex 3D Pro. They look more polished and stunning.

Hopefully the next handheld is HD(720p please) so that pokemon can look better.

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
I don't know if this can be considered a necrobump, but it's a topic I wish I noticed sooner to respond to (only 10 days, not too bad I guess)

Anyway firstly:
Parasect:

Spr_6x_047.png

Look at the old sprites:

Spr_5b_047.png
Spr_3f_047.png
Spr_2c_047.png

The mushroom is red! not pink..
This had led me to think that I encountered a shiny in the first time I saw it in XY before I realized it's just a normal one.

This I agree with so much... even parasect's new artwork was given completely different colors. The only upside though, is that parasect's shiny sprite looks a lot better:
ParasectShinySprite.gif
047.png

047.png

Although I think it's agreeable the shiny looks more accurate to his main appearence than his main sprite... and that shouldn't really be acceptable.

Two others that bother me is Shedinja and Volcarona:
292.png

Shedinja--screenshot_large.jpg

latest

Shedinja's face is so flat looking.. it seems like the nincada died in a train crash or something. The eyes aren't as "bulbed" out either, looking like part of the face rather than extended from the face.

The other; volcarona just looks very lifeless and washed out in coloration..
latest

mrquivers-gif.15170

Notice how much brighter the coloration on the BW sprite is? While the X/Y sprite looks like somebody stuffed it into a washing machine with bleach? It's just so pale.. especially in comparison to what 3D volcarona could look like:
pokedex_3d___volcarona_by_pokedragon004-d5ekc20.jpg

Even the shiny looks mediocre in gen 6..
volcarona.gif

latest

The only thing still vibrant in the shiny is volc's eyes.. the wings are completely shadowed.

Trust me on this, it would've looked much better if it weren't for graphical limitations.

I don't think that was the case, the only thing graphical limitations caused, is the black outlines on all the sprites. Coloration, animation, and model scaling are the primary issues here. Things like skarmory's wings should be able to flap if moltres's wings can flame and flap.. things like parasect and volcarona can look vibrant if primal groudon (and regular groudon) can look so bright. Model scaling like messing up faces... well that's just somebody didn't make them right to begin with, not limitations. (If giratina can take up the whole screen, they have a lot of modeling space to work with).

Last edited:

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Archeops
archeops.gif

This one is just simply annoying. The way he flaps his wings is so awkward..
Of course the way he flap his wings is awkward, if you read the Pokédex you know that "It runs better than it flies", that's why he looks goofy.

And I love all of the 3D models, absolutely... finally we can see interesting and realistic battles/Pokémon movements in game. I remember how ugly were the sprites back in BW/B2W2, those super pixelated sprites... the jump to XY was just WOW, and everytime I start my game I still love the models.