Discussion Decks with Potential for After Upcoming Rotation

You really can''t do that. Where you can get a turn 2 (or even 1 with wally) Garbodor, You need to play 2 Wallys or just manually evolve up to the stage 3 break that Greninja is to compete with Garbodor's speed. Plus, Trubbish has 70 HP. So you'll need to do 2 Giant water shurukens to knock one out with snipes completely.
I do it pretty often :/

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you were aware or not but Garb will most likely be the play for the 2017 Format due to the fact that there will be no card to get rid of tools in which case would shut off your Giant Water Shuriken's, and possibly Octillery if you opt to run it.

Ah that is very true I forgot that as of right now there will not be a card to get rid of the tool off of garb. I am quite confident though that they will release one, otherwise the meta will phase out abilities which would not be a very fun meta in my honest opinion.

I'm not sure if you were aware or not but Garb will most likely be the play for the 2017 Format due to the fact that there will be no card to get rid of tools in which case would shut off your Giant Water Shuriken's, and possibly Octillery if you opt to run it.

That is what I fear. I would like to see something done about this pretty soon. I think its time for easy to get locks to leave the game entirely. They need to put a quick ban on Garbodor or there will be a problem with the format again.

That is what I fear. I would like to see something done about this pretty soon. I think its time for easy to get locks to leave the game entirely. They need to put a quick ban on Garbodor or there will be a problem with the format again.
They do not need to ban Garbodor, nor will they.

Ban two cards in 15 years and everyone jumps to that.

It's really not that bad of a lock. It takes a wally or a second turn to set up, and is an easy lysandre target at 100 HP. It's a pretty healthy thing for the format, since we're getting ability reliant anyway. There's plenty of non-ability based decks out there you can use to take advantage of if garb gets overly used. Heck, run a jolteon deck, and you're auto winning against most decks that use garbodor.

GET YOUR HUNTAILS NOW!!!!! BETTER THAN DARKRAIS, THESE WILL KILL EVERYTHING, ALSO REMEMBER TO PICK UP SOME ELECTRIKES TO KEEP THAT ENERGY SAFE!

But seriously, I agree, they are good. make sure to get some DDE and griatina to make a cool pair.
That's pretty hilarious.

Has anyone thought about Raichu next season? It's still good at taking KO'd without crobat or muscle band, and it can recover from losing the stadium too

That's pretty hilarious.

Has anyone thought about Raichu next season? It's still good at taking KO'd without crobat or muscle band, and it can recover from losing the stadium too
Raichu is quite interesting in the upcoming format. Special charge will also be a great addition. It needs a way to overcome giratina's chaos wheel though.

They do not need to ban Garbodor, nor will they.

Ban two cards in 15 years and everyone jumps to that.

If you know anything about be, I have been the one player that has advocated for card bans for a healthy format and people phasing out the use of abilities isn't healthy for the game at all as well as forces the designers to badly design cards because of such, all because of one card you can't do anything about. Garbodor shouldn't have came back.

I at least expect the players to have some kind of respect for the game.

It's really not that bad of a lock. It takes a wally or a second turn to set up, and is an easy lysandre target at 100 HP. It's a pretty healthy thing for the format, since we're getting ability reliant anyway. There's plenty of non-ability based decks out there you can use to take advantage of if garb gets overly used. Heck, run a jolteon deck, and you're auto winning against most decks that use garbodor.

See, thats the problem with the players now. IF all players are forced to run a specific deck to deal with one card, that is a sign of a bad format. We are just now finishing up with the last format like that and people want another one right afterwards?

Its a healthy format when you can play all the mechanic of the game. You should be able to play whatever deck you want.

Last edited:
Raichu is quite interesting in the upcoming format. Special charge will also be a great addition. It needs a way to overcome giratina's chaos wheel though.

Don't forget, Pokemon Ranger is being released in the next set, which gets rid of the effect of Giratina's attack. Or the deck could tech in a 2-2 line of Marowak, but that's shut of by Garbodor.

The best known quantity deck going into rotation is probably darkrai dragons. Right now, hydreigon ex and shred offer an out to Jolteon EX and regice. It also offers free retreat for the dragon part of the team. These are the major problems that EX decks usually have and are solved.

I think garbodor will be very strong indeed, but that dragon deck has proven to not need it to win games. Some might argue the garbodor currently adds inconsistency but will later dominate everything because of it. The problem deck I see for it is garchomp but that loses some key support cards that make it good for other matchups.

I think with battle compressor and many lock decks or just key support cards in rotation, we could see some older decks come back too.

What about giratina vileplume? You can add max elixir, and shenanigans. It's just a thought though, and honestly I don't know how good it will be next year

u get ninja boy, and it does not need items after vileplume. Just needs dde. (Also I have no idea if it will be good)

I'm rooting for Primal Groudon. With Vespiquen getting killed, Mega Sceptile is the only good Grass attacker in the format. If Sceptile becomes popular, Groudon will not, but if Volcanion-EX proves to be good enough, it may keep Sceptile at bay long enough for Groudon to do well.

I'm rooting for Primal Groudon. With Vespiquen getting killed, Mega Sceptile is the only good Grass attacker in the format. If Sceptile becomes popular, Groudon will not, but if Volcanion-EX proves to be good enough, it may keep Sceptile at bay long enough for Groudon to do well.

i have that thought too, but between wobbuffet and carbink break, which one is the better partner?P groudon ex lose korrina and hard charm too btw

i have that thought too, but between wobbuffet and carbink break, which one is the better partner?P groudon ex lose korrina and hard charm too btw

I don't like Wobbuffet in that deck. You need to either attach Float Stone or run Olympia, neither of which sounds good. Baby Landorus is also getting rotated, leaving Carbink BREAK a good choice to fill the hole he left. It's really not the same, though, what with it being an Evolution Pokemon and all. Still, there's a case to be made for Wally in that deck to help get the T1 Diamond Gift, but without Battle Compressor to fuel the attack, I'm not quite sure how to get consistent two-Energy Diamond Gifts. Losing Korrina is a huge blow, but I think Groudon can manage. Groudon has the biggest balls in the format so it's only proper to use a big ball engine: Ultra Ball, Heavy Ball, and Level Ball can get us every Pokemon we need.

I might consider playing Groudon for cities, just due to the surprise factor, but we'll see. If Volcanion makes a good showing at Worlds, then it could be a good play.

Fighting decks are pretty gimped imo. Garchomp is completely useless without Korinna and fighting stadium. This also hurts Zygarde. Also without startling megaphone garb is really hard to deal with.

Back