Deck Discussion #9: GG/Plox

Blue Thunder

so long!
Wow. We got a LOT of votes this part time. The votes will be shown below, but it looks like PLOX won. The next Deck Discussion will be posted on Thursday, July 23rd. However, that will be the last Deck Discussion posted on a Thursday, seeing as how we are nearly out of mainstream decks to discuss.

Anyway, here's the votes:

-2 PLOX/GG
-1 Walrein
-1 Toolbox
-1 Turbo Shuppet
-1 Gallade 4
-1 Magnezone
-1 Rampardos

...yeah, that's 8 votes compared to 3 the last time.

Anyway, there is one more deck I would like o discuss before we move onto DP-SV, so the next Deck Discussion is not up to the votes. You can, however, PM me if you want to know what it is. Don't worry, this change is temporary, and the voting feature we will be back for Deck Discussion 11.

Anyway, onto the deck:

Plox...it was THE deck in 2007-08. This deck was centered around Gallade (Secret Wonders), Gardevoir (Secret Wonders), and Gardevoir LV. X. (Secret Wonders) Starting with Gardevoir, it has a Poke-Power that can let you use up to 2 supporters a turn. That meant set-up happens a LOT quicker. Gardevoir also has an attack, called Psychic Lock (hench the name Plox) which does 60 damage for 3 energy. However, this attack prevents your opponent from using any Poke-Powers, which destroys their set-up, or even causes them to fall behind. Gardevoir LV. X has a Power that lets you move it in an out of the Active spot, which allows abuse of cards like Palkia LV. X (Great Encounters) to further allow control. Gardevoir LV. X is not without her own attack, though. Her attack instantly KOs the Pokemon with the lowest HP on the field. That includes you, but not Gardevoir herself. This attack brings me to Gallade, who has an attack that can instantly bring your opponent's Active Pokemon down to 50HP. If 50HP is the lowest on the field, you can the KO that Pokemon with Gardevoir LV. X. Gallade has one more attack, which makes up for Gardevoir's low damage output: Psycho Cut. This attack starts at 60, but becomes 20 more for each prize card you flip over. Using this at the right time can OHKO a trouble Pokemon. A free quick prize should never be overlooked.

However, this deck DOES need a lot of energy to attack. To get around this, the deck uses cards like Weavile (Secret Wonders) or Magnezone #6. (Stormfront) When Weavile is included, the deck is often called Dark Plox, while Magnezone turns the deck into an iPlox variant. Another card used to provide more energy is Upper Energy. (Rising Rivals)

The difference between GG and Plox is that GG often focuses on Gallade, using Gardevoir to provide support and clean-up after Gallade. This deck isn't used much anymore, but it was the deck to run in HP-SW. Plox is focuses on locking your opponent's Powers with Gardevoir, using Gallade to get a KO if you don't kill fast enough.

In this and any deck discussion thread, the idea is to discuss the deck's possible techs, how it fares in the metagame, what Tier it is in, its counters, a good decklist for the deck, or just discussing the deck in general.

For the more recent previous deck discussions, please click on the links below. Some of the very old ones will not be listed because the last post is dated more than 2 weeks ago. To get to these threads, you may have to click one of the links, and then click a link inside that thread.

DD8: Tyranitar: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=57592
DD7: Speedrill: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=57424 (Note: This thread is closed, but can be used for viewing purposes.)
DD6: Flygon: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread,php?tid=57272
DD5: Mother Genagr: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=56969

Now...onto the discussion!

I still think iPlox is one of the best GG variants, and IMO, it beats the Dark variant. iPlox gives you so many sick options that it's too versatile and takes to much practise to work with it correctly. Too bad Booij doesn't play it anymore D:

I'm actually quite interested if Yoshi still plays it.

typhlosion (Mt) should deserve a good mention along with a starter (as its power can only attach to bench).

Blox also gives you many sick options and speeds up energy accelration with dig well.

As I see it, if you want to use a lock deck Legos is the infinitely better option. Plox is just too slow now.

I think Dark Plox is the better form of it. It's the one that's winning in our area. It's not too slow, if you get even a decent hand, then you can lock powers on T2 or T3. I think plox can still do some damage in the format. I'm just wondering what it'll be able to do next season with 13 sets out.

Yeah, Plox fails to SP big time, hence the no-show at Nationals. Well, at least at the high tables.

I still think Dark Plox is the best varient out there now, but I agree, it's still too slow for its own good. It'll be around for another year though. (Oh gawd.)

dmaster out.

It was the play last year, but not this year. I won States last year w/ it, and also took 2nd at Regionals.
But things have changed. It lost DRE and Scramble. It beats Toxitank, MAYBE Speedrill, Flygon beats it, it loses to Legos and Luxape, plus Dialga G has resistence to it, so that's a bad matchup too. Bad deck, if you ask me.
The correct approach to it this year is "Heck, this is junk" not "Oh, I'm going to try to speed this thing up so I can do something that a T2 deck can do." (Legos)

Give me a break it's like Tier 2.5

With TOGEKISS

What interesting timing! Just last week, my 8-year-old son and I put together a couple Gardevoir/Gallade decks.

He was partial to G&G with Weavile... I was trying it out with my favorite, Togekiss.

I guess I have to agree... G&G variants have a super-tough time keeping up with SP decks. I can get lucky and get moving fast with a Togekiss set-up -- that is if I'm not power sprayed...

Once I'm up-n-running, the G&G with Togekiss is pretty good. Gallade hits hard enough for a KO ruining PokeTurn (for a turn or two) -- Gardevoir's "Telepass" is amazing... an extra Supporter each turn (especially with 10 sets worth of Supporters!) Even Cyrus' and Aaron's are worth copying.

I'm stubborn to a fault... I'm going to try to perfect the Togekiss variant, then, once I proven that it's crud... then and only then... will I hang it up.

DarthPika said:
As I see it, if you want to use a lock deck Legos is the infinitely better option. Plox is just too slow now.
I actually agree with you about something. o_O

The thing is that locking isn't what it used to be. SP decks can play around locks and some Stage 2 decks (Gengar comes to mind) can slow the lock down a lot by their own lock. Also, the faster Stage 2 decks (Beedrill, Kingdra, Machamp, Gengar) will just KO the Weavile before he can do much. Then you're left attacking with 1-3 Gardy/Gall the whole game. Palkia can lock and deal almost as much damage as Gardevoir for 1 less energy, is a basic and spreads. Plus it gets all the SP support cards. The only plus to GG is Gallade, but he loses his power after 1 or 2 attacks.

I like iPlox but it is somewhat too inconsistent. It's better overall than Dark Plox except the Gengar matchup, but it's very hard to get Magnezone LV. X and some Gardevoir/Gallade out. Magnezone is a Stage 2/LV. X and Weavile is a Stage 1. It's much easier to get out, even though he has to get out quickly. I have only played iPlox, not Dark Plox. I have played vs. a lot of Dark Plox and it is a very good deck. It comes down to how well it sets up and if it can stay setup. If it does then it will win. However, it isn't Tier 1. Probably Tier 2.

The Power of Three said:
I think Dark Plox is the better form of it. It's the one that's winning in our area. It's not too slow, if you get even a decent hand, then you can lock powers on T2 or T3. I think plox can still do some damage in the format. I'm just wondering what it'll be able to do next season with 13 sets out.

Only 12 sets will be legal. The 13th one will come out in August after worlds.

It's okay. It'll never dominate agin, though.

No, here is how it goes:

Set 1: DP
Set 2: MT
Set 3: SW
Set 4: GE
Set 5: MD
Set 6: LA
Set 7: SF
Set 8: PT
Set 9: RR
Set 10: SV
Set 11: AoA (Coming November 2009.)
Set 12: ??? (Likely an HGSS set) (Coming February 2010.)
Set 13: ??? (Coming May 2010)

Yeah. we'll have 13 sets for next year's Nationals. H

On topic, PLOX will never be up to the same level as it was last. The format has sped up too much since the arrival of LA and Kingdra. I still think PLOX could stand a chance, though Gengar, Luxape, and Legos are all bad-matchups for the deck. If only attacks like Psychic Lock required one less energy...though then they would have CRUSHED last format.

This seems like a good deck (its new to me as I started playing when PT arrived) but it seems to slow. You need to set up 3 evolutions otherwise you stand a good chance of losing. I do see this being good in the olden days.

^yea they were much easier to set up thoguh because of telepass.(gardevoir pokepower)
2 supporters was rediculous back then.(everything revovled around being searched by supporters)
then claydol came and we had a stable draw engine and plox just rocked everything.
dre and scramble didnt make things worse for the deck either, t2-t3 psychic lock.
deck was good back then and still had potential until the sps came.
its still a decent deck but sps are much better.

Back