Darkrai vs MTC

petertclo

Ehh I want my B&W back!
I've been using my MTC, and have been running into trouble with Darkrai.

Currently I run a vanilla MTC without Terrakion. Basically
4 Celebi
2 Mewtwo EX
2 Tornadus EX
2 Tornadus
1 Virizion
1 Shaymin
1 Shaymin EX

4 PONT
3 Juniper
2 N
4 Random Receiver
3 Catcher
3 Skyarrow
2 Switch
2 PlusPower
1 Super Rod
4 Junk Arm
4 Dual Ball
3 Eviolite

4 DCE
8 Grass

It runs very consistently (what do you expect) but Darkrai EX is a very hard enemy to take down.
Mewtwo is fighting against resistance, so not too much use here;
Tornadus runs the risk of OHKO, and it can't 2 hit Darkrai,
Tornadus EX is basically trading 2HKO against Darkrai while Darkrai also gets to 2HKO Celebi via snipe;
Virizion is utterly useless.
and I can't get enough prizes to use Shaymin to end the game.

So 2 questions.

1) Assuming I use the list as presented above, how do I go about fighting Smeargle/Darkrai?
2) Is a Terrakion tech the only solution to my problems?

CMT has a very hard time with Darkrai. Your only options are probably Super Scoop Up, Eviolite and Regigigas. They all work pretty well.

Terrakion takes away too much consistency. I would not run it.

Regigigas faces the same problem as Tornadus EX, though. Also Eviolite doesn't help because they can always use Sp. Dark and Dark Claw. IMO the only way to beat it is with Terrakion with Eviolite. There's no way for them to OHKO it realistically. In this format where Eels and Dark and predicted to dominate, I think every deck requires Terrakion to succeed.

Why not run Terrakion? No point being arrogant about it when it's clearly the best play. Takes out two of the mainstream decks (ZekEels and Darkrai/Zoroark).

I don't think CMT needs Terrakion to remain viable, but at some point you have to consider consistency vs wins gained via techs. Basically right now vanilla CMT's only chance of beating dark (from what I've play tested) is that it needs to either start first or get a T1 100 to keep up.

Maybe I've just been lucky with the deck that I put together on friday (CMT W/ Terrakion) but I went 6-0 vs Eels, 2-1 vs dark and 2-0 vs Reshplosion in 11 of my 15 or so games. the other 4 were just vs random decks, although I did get wrecked by an empoleon deck.

Ka$h Money said:
Why not run Terrakion? No point being arrogant about it when it's clearly the best play. Takes out two of the mainstream decks (ZekEels and Darkrai/Zoroark).

It demolishes consistency.

i don't understand Virizion. He does nothing at all. Regigigas is a better choice and it helps you out with the Zekeel matchup as well

Like a few other people are saying, Terrakion would work excellently. Still though, replacing Grass/DCE for Prisms might hurt consistency since Celebi can't Forest Breath that. I'm pretty sure it can't, right? Prism Energy only counts as any other Energy when its attached to a Basic Pokemon on the field. It remains a Prism Energy while in your hand. If you do use Terrakion, you might try having a couple basic Fighting Energies. It can't get Lost Removered/Enhanced Hammered.

Some other people were talking about Super Scoop Up to deny a Prize and save Celebi/Shaymin. That's obviously easier to implement without worrying about consistency!

Outside of other people's suggestions, I find a full 4 Random Receiver's pretty questionable. I've never playtested with it, but I think if your deck is built consistently with plenty of Supporters, you could just use 1-2 RR.

Are you running this for Battle Roads? Good luck, dude!

Running 4 Random Receiver with a bit less supporters has its uses, as a ton of decks right now depend on Smeargle to set up everything.

Back