• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Darkrai EX / Garbodor

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Pokemon: 10

• *3 Darkrai EX
    *2 Yveltal EX
    *2 Trubbish
    *2 Garbodor
    *1 Yveltal XY
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 39

• *4 Professor Juniper
    *4 Dark Patch
    *4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    *4 N
    *3 Skyla
    *3 Ultra Ball
    *3 Muscle Band
    *3 Float Stone
    *3 Virbank City Gym
    *2 Energy Switch
    *2 Pokemon Catcher
    *1 Shauna
    *1 Professor's Letter
    *1 Switch
    *1 Dowsing Machine
Energy: 11

• *8 Darkness
    *3 Double Colorless Energy

Strategy: More heavily Darkrai based than most modern Darkrai lists now that Yveltal EX is in format, I like attacking with Darkrai very much, and 2 Yveltal seems to be enough. I got the idea for 3 Darkrai, 2 Yveltal from Heretic on Youtube, and ever since Yveltal has become the main attacker in Darkrai decks, I've wanted to go back to attacking with Darkrai more. Yveltal is of course the early attacker, but Darkrai is great at being the beefy attacker that gets powered up on the bench.

RE: Darkrai/Garbodor

You are only running the 2 float stones, It could be tough to keep a tool on garbador with only 2 in the deck. Sableye would help you get your items back, and you are running alot of items so i would add in at least 2 sableye. You also dont have any switching cards like switch or escape rope which could come in handy against snorlax or dragalage and status effects.

I'm actually trying to not run Sableye, to prepare for the next rotation. I've been considering running 3 Float Stones as well. I might put in Keldeo EX as well.

O ok that makes sense. Then i would definatly put in the third float stone, and the keldeo will be a good addition if your garbador losses its float stone.

Well right now I just took out a Skyla and the Druddigon for an extra Virbank and a third Float stone. Thoughts?

Yeah i like those changes. Because you will be able to do take out Black kyurem or rayqueza ex with yveltal or even a a late game darkrai. you could take out the evosodas for a couple muscle bands if you wanted.

I actually kinda like to play Druddigon now that it's out. Keep in mind that while Yveltal EX could potentially KO BKEX or Rayquaza EX quite easily, they both discard energy when they attack, lowering Yveltal's power by 40 for BKEX and usually around 60 for Rayquaza EX. I would run a single copy of Druddigon in this deck and possibly 2 or 3 DCE in this deck to get Yveltal EX a nice boost of power when need be as well as power up a Druddigon in 1 turn to get a quick KO on BKEX or Rayquaza EX. I'm pro Druddigon.

Hope this helps,
LoneWolf2113

Hmm. Since you're wanting it to be centered around Darkrai EX more than Yveltal EX, then I say go for it. Personally, I'd go with a heavier Yveltal line because, in my experience, it's just proven to be more powerful. They both come with their advantages, Darkrai being able to attack the bench and Yveltal being able to nearly 1 shot everything, but they both have their counters, Darkrai having Terrakion and Mr. Mime to block bench damage and Yveltal having Raichu. In terms of power, I say Yveltal over Darkrai, but in terms of which is just my favorite Legendary Pokemon in general, I'd say Darkrai over Yveltal. One thing is for sure: they both have staying power. If Darkrai EX weren't a favorite and so heavily played, it wouldn't have been reprinted in LTR. If Yveltal EX weren't loved, it wouldn't have gained popularity as quickly as it did. They're both really strong cards and I'd be satisfied playing a deck centered around either, but I still say that Yveltal EX is just a mite stronger than Darkrai EX is at the moment.

Hope this helps,
LoneWolf2113

Personally, when I pulled Yveltal EX FA at post-release (and preceded to trade it away that same day), I read Evil Ball and immediately had a distaste for it. For some weird reason, I just didn't like it, even though it won me all three games. Maybe it's the name of the attack, it just doesn't "feel" fun to attack with like it's fun to attack with Darkrai. It's grown on me since then, but I still prefer Darkrai.

2 e hammer could be 2 more DCE, 4dce makes the next few things a bit better to mention. Overall yveltal works better with garbodor then darkrai its just the fact that yveltal has no ability's that make up a strategy. A thing to consider is 2 buffolant, with the muscle band and the lasers does enough to take a majority of ohko's. Level ball is more consistent then evo soda, and even still I only see enough space for only 1 evo soda in 99% of all garbo list's, it's more on the fact of having cards that universally worked well together, level ball grabs both the basic and the ego, evosoda only evolves the turn after. On that note it just reminds me of just playing stoise and seeing the importance of playing level and heavy ball for setup over an ultra ball, discard for the setup is great and all but you have to have the basic on the bench to setup, and of your only playing 3 ultra ball then how are you going to setup? I don't see why you won't play sableye, at least play a baby y or you'll find that the energy accel is going to be sloppy relying on a maybe y cyclone when you can't take ohko's. 1 pal pad, with the small amount of draw cards you have in this deck it's very much so worth it to have some kind of late game draw option or you dead draw late game. Also even of you don't play sableye, 2 catcher is better then 2 lysandre in this deck any day of the week.

I competitively play darkrai very successfully in my area, I may seem or come across as aggressive but it's just me being a realist.

I see a very nice list. Good job Frost! Your build is quite similar to mine in the fact that I run 3 Darkrai and only 2 Yveltal as well. Thought I originated the idea, but I guess not. XD Darkrai just feels more consistent to me. I'd definitely consider running more DCE though. At least 1 more for those sweeps with Yveltal. Have you thought about running Colress instead of Skyla? I run 3 copies myself and it seems to make the deck more consistent especially when in need of some late game draw. I'd also think about taking out those evosoda since they can be a dead draw, and you already have ultra ball for search. I think level ball and heavy ball are bad plays in this deck simply because they only target one specific pokemon in the deck which just gets trumped by ultra ball imo. I do agree that catcher might actually be a better card in this deck than lysandre at this point because they don't take your supporter for the turn. But if you were to include them, I'd definitely add in at least one Sableye. Hope I helped! :)

Can't get trubbish with evo soda.

Level ball is consistent, if he's not playing sableye, maxing ultra ball and putting something like 5 dark in the discard put's his in terrible situations when he has to rely on 4 dark patch to be in his deck. The level ball and heavy scenario was a take on blastoise and it's consistency on setup for the bench versus setup for energy use and had nothing to do with this other then an explanation for the importance of bench setup for garbodor.

Yo-yos said:
level ball grabs both the basic and the ego
Just commenting on that. xD

And thanks, Suikun! Now that I think about it, the extra DCEs for Yveltal sweeps might be the way to go. I wasn't really thinking of Yveltal as sweeping, but it sure can. It's just risky stockpiling energy onto a single Yveltal sometimes.

That's where 4 DCE becomes important, it's easier to risk a DCE instead of risking a dark energy, especially if you won't play sableye.

No problem Frost! Yea, it can be which is why I actually love it's second attack Y Cyclone. Can really get you out of a tough spot if Yveltal is about to go down. I'd also think about running a switch in the deck for such purposes. I know that you have Float Stone in the deck as well, but I'm pretty sure that you'd much rather have a Muscle Band on an Yveltal/Darkrai than that. It also helps with the Trevenant/Accelgor matchup if Garbodor has no tools. I also wanted to point out that I hadn't thought of including of Shauna in this deck at all, but now that I think about it...it does kind of make sense to run 1 especially late game when you're being N'd to 1 and they get 4 or 5. I've had this happen too many times. :/

Yeah, in my testing online, some form of switching effect is absolutely necessary for those awful times when you stay asleep from Lasers, or when you're in a hurry to get a Tool on Garbodor and are forced to stick it with a Muscle Band. Definitely trying to fit in a switch, and like someone told me on PokeGym, two Hammers without Sableye won't slow down Plasma or Plasmatisse fast enough, if they have Thundurus, which not only hits Yveltal for Weakness, but recycles energy as well. I really like them though, but it can be an absolutely dead card when you're playing against a completely Basic-energy deck, which is more common than not. Sort of trying to prepare myself for the rotation and keeping my eyes peeled for the most efficient way to give this deck energy acceleration after Dark Patch is rotated.

Yea, I hear ya. Unless we somehow get an Ultra Rare variation of Dark Patch in Furious Fists which has been rumored, but who knows until we get full scans. I kind of doubt it with all of the love for Fairy and Fighting Pokemon lately....which kind of have Dark at a disadvantage at this point. 1 Sabelye is almost a must in this deck though due to how quickly you can go through resources, and how powerful Junk Hunt really is. It's kind of the Smeargle of the format if you will except less powerful. XD I'm definitely keeping my eye out for ideas for next season, but I think Yveltal will still be viable as long as it's in the rotation even without Dark Patch. People will probably run more of it's baby form and less Sableye or Absol. Also, Enhanced Hammer can definitely be a dead draw, but I think more and more decks that run special energy are starting to surface. The new sets definitely encourage it as well, so the card is still something to consider...even if only a one of. Hope my suggestions helped though, and if I think of any more I'll definitely post. :)

I took out Hammers and replaced them with a Baby Yveltal, and extra DCE, and some other stuff. I'll update my list in a bit. :)

Back