Dark and Disturbing Cartoon Theories

Masterge77

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone here heard some of these? They are basically a type of "Wild Mass Guessing" that involve grimdark therories about certain cartoon, anime, and video game series. Here's a few I found that were very interesting:

There’s a theory that interprets Ed, Edd and Eddy’s entire cast of kids as all being dead and living in a purgatory of an eternal childhood cycle (originally an eternal summer, but then they started going to school), thusly the complete lack of any adults in the purgatory. They’re are a number of explanations for their deaths, ranging from basic deaths such as an explosion due to a gas-leak in the neighborhood, to apocalyptic ones such as nuclear explosion or the spread of a deadly disease that killed most of middle-America. A related theory suggests that the kids in the cul-de-sac are dead children from the neighborhood, each from different time periods (Johnny and Rolf from the 40’s, Kevin from the 90’s, Naz from the 60’s, Jimmy from the 00’s, and so on).

There's also the theory that the entire world of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is merely the imagination of a deranged human girl in an insane asylum named Pinkamena Diane Pie (in other words, Pinkie Pie), as her way of coping. Pinkie Pie is simply a split personality of this girl, whom is incarcerated for murdering her parents and friends because her dolls told her to, think about the fanfic "Cupcakes" for a minute, then make the infamous grimdark fanfic take place in the real world with humans, because that's basically what this theroy it to an extent.

There's also the "Ash Ketchum comatose" theroy (which I bet some of you have heard of), an Animal Crossing theory similar to the MLP one above, and countless others. Discuss and post other dark cartoon theories you have found.

Thats quite an interesting theory about ED EDD and EDDY,I always pondered why there were no ACTUAL adults in the show,it struck me as odd,so I simply bypassed it,However,I can no longer think of the show as I once have after reading your post...

People that makes these things are like Sigmund Freud.

Only that Freud was serious in his theories, and you people aren't.

Okay first of all the Ash Ketchum Theory was already proven to be completely false because the Pokemon Anime timeline is in year intervals so technically a decade in our time is about 1 or 2 years in the Anime's time since it first started and when you think about it, it does make sense especially since that explains why Ash has never hit puberty yet.

All those other theories you mentioned are still up for debate though, the one that creeps me out the most is the one for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. So glad I never became a brony after hearing that theory, heck I saw a recent game called, "My Little Pony: Story of the Blanks" with 8-Bit Graphics and Sound based on the new series and it was really creepy at the end:

http://annoyingorange.blip.tv/familiar-faces/let-s-play-my-little-pony-story-of-the-blanks-5379742

There's also another theory regarding Neon Genesis Evangeleon that the whole plot including the characters in the Anime are just manifestations of Shinji's mind while being stuck in a mental institute. At least now you know why this Anime is already creepy as it is, it's like Paranoia Agent but messed up in a way I suppose. I've never been a huge fan of Anime that supposedly plays mind games on people and keeps leaving them guessing with a cliffhanger afterwards when it ruins the story and plot of it in general.

Then there's the SpongeBob Squarepants Theory where all the characters in the cartoon are based on the Seven Deadly Sins:

Sloth - Patrick
Wrath - Squidward
Greed - Mr. Krabs
Envy - Plankton
Gluttony - Gary
Pride - Sandy
Lust - SpongeBob

There's also the Rugrats theory that all the babies don't exist at all, and the whole series was a product of Angelica's imagination as a way of coping with her negligent parents, as the theory goes:
  • Chuckie died along side his mother, which is why Chaz is such a nervous wreck
  • Tommy was a stillborn child, because of this, Stu is constantly sitting in the basement making toys or chocolate pudding at 4am for the son that never had the chance to live
  • The DeVilles had an abortion, Angelica could not decide whether the aborted child would be male or female, and thus simply made the same character twice, but with different genders.

geez, why do people have to think about all of this... its a cartoon and made for enjoyment.... people have to come up with all of this..... I honestly cant stand it....

I get what you're saying cause If people actually take it literally as a fact then it
would ruin the enjoyment and nostalgia of the cartoon itself. They are just theories that have never been proven to be true despite no word on the creators' consent and If they did have a reason they probably would've already said it by now.

At first I thought you were going to explain subliminal messages in disney movies and stuff. These theories seem a bit farther on the sci-fi side. I suppose they're interesting, but it's kind of sad, as joe said, that children's television has become the target of some of these silly dark analyses.

Woa. You guys don't have enough Chrismas. These stupid thsories are made by haters trying to destroy shows imo.

Sounds like people forget that these are cartoons. Now if the cartoon was literally like Wizard of Oz where these characters woke up to find that they were just having a dream, one long wild dream, then that would be okay. Ash in a coma? Sounds like someones a little jelly that they didn't get to go on adventures when they were 10 years old with their friends.

While the topic is cartoon theories, I thought I might add my favorite Pokemon Theory

"In Pokémon Red, you have no father, yor best friend is an orphan.
Children are going on a journey around the world.
Your mother accepts you as the man in your house, making your own decisions.
Old man warns about dangers right around the corner.
Most people you meet are children and/or gym leaders.
Most men are either very old or have a job related to the military or an organized crime.
Hospitals and gyms everywhere, yet no form of entertainment like a movie theater.

Lt. Surge: "Hey, kid! What do you think you're doing here? You won't live long in combat! That's for sure! I tell you kid, electric pokemon saved me during the war!"

You now realize there was a war in Kanto.
Your father died in the war and your rival lost his parents.
You are the first generation of people to live in peace at post-war time."

When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.

oyeah1988 said:
While the topic is cartoon theories, I thought I might add my favorite Pokemon Theory

"In Pokémon Red, you have no father, yor best friend is an orphan.
Children are going on a journey around the world.
Your mother accepts you as the man in your house, making your own decisions.
Old man warns about dangers right around the corner.
Most people you meet are children and/or gym leaders.
Most men are either very old or have a job related to the military or an organized crime.
Hospitals and gyms everywhere, yet no form of entertainment like a movie theater.

Lt. Surge: "Hey, kid! What do you think you're doing here? You won't live long in combat! That's for sure! I tell you kid, electric pokemon saved me during the war!"

You now realize there was a war in Kanto.
Your father died in the war and your rival lost his parents.
You are the first generation of people to live in peace at post-war time."

When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.
Looks like somebody here goes on 4chan.

I heard that Garfield was dreaming everything, and he's a starved cat living in an abandend house. He dreams of eating because he is starving, and slowly dies in the old house at the end of the comic series.

You people have had really rough childhoods to think of these dark, twisted theories that gives me the creeps. I totally agree with Nizolka33.

For instance, today, the SpongeBob Squarepants Movie was on today, and i was freaked out to watch it.

Nice imagination on these theories, though. Sorry that I don't know of any in particular.

the comatose ash theory was the most convincing and heart-breaking theory i've ever read

http://cartoonoveranalyzations.com/2009/04/09/pokemon-explained/

Card Slinger J said:
Okay first of all the Ash Ketchum Theory was already proven to be completely false because the Pokemon Anime timeline is in year intervals so technically a decade in our time is about 1 or 2 years in the Anime's time since it first started and when you think about it, it does make sense especially since that explains why Ash has never hit puberty yet.

All those other theories you mentioned are still up for debate though, the one that creeps me out the most is the one for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. So glad I never became a brony after hearing that theory, heck I saw a recent game called, "My Little Pony: Story of the Blanks" with 8-Bit Graphics and Sound based on the new series and it was really creepy at the end:

http://annoyingorange.blip.tv/familiar-faces/let-s-play-my-little-pony-story-of-the-blanks-5379742

There's also another theory regarding Neon Genesis Evangeleon that the whole plot including the characters in the Anime are just manifestations of Shinji's mind while being stuck in a mental institute. At least now you know why this Anime is already creepy as it is, it's like Paranoia Agent but messed up in a way I suppose. I've never been a huge fan of Anime that supposedly plays mind games on people and keeps leaving them guessing with a cliffhanger afterwards when it ruins the story and plot of it in general.

Then there's the SpongeBob Squarepants Theory where all the characters in the cartoon are based on the Seven Deadly Sins:

Sloth - Patrick
Wrath - Squidward
Greed - Mr. Krabs
Envy - Plankton
Gluttony - Gary
Pride - Sandy
Lust - SpongeBob

Lol I guess I can't watch Ed Edd and Eddy any more because a totally blown up theory appeared...that is no excuse you weird person that hasn't watch MLP :p

Lust?!?! ROFL when has he been lustful? I guess the rumors of Spongebob and Patrick are true...

Back