CULTURE SHOCK (Updated 13 October 2013)

le Roi-Soleil

PokéBeach Staff Alumnus
mlmusw.png

CULTURE SHOCK

Greetings, humans!​
I am Colress, better known as Dustin DeVine, and I am an amateur pop artist. Well, there's really nothing more to say, unless you have an appreciation for pop culture. If you do, then I love you. If not, then I've got some bad news for you. I'm not very good at what I do, but that is irrelevant; I do it because I love it. Besides, there is always room for improvement.
Let's begin.

[align=center]
gay_by_dustindevine-d6q4j38.jpg
iphone_by_dustindevine-d6jkxv8.jpg
gaga_by_dustindevine-d6q4r72.jpg
1382859_691499170879879_1719976822_n.jpg
1148831_661188767244253_104082427_n.jpg
hands_by_dustindevine-d6jaxkg.png
1173706_661682963861500_1177013226_n.jpg
1146688_661667713863025_1175315066_n.jpg
1146690_661672570529206_198253337_n.jpg
1009860_661153293914467_1250709400_n.jpg
[/align]
1006074_661147867248343_1675589284_n.jpg
1175444_661186380577825_1764705999_n.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoy my tiny selection of artwork, and if you didn't, please, I encourage you to offer suggestions, so I can improve. Thank you all!

ENIVED NITSUD

RE: Culture Shock

Applause is definitely my favorite, but I would keep in mind that while pop art is supposed to well...pop, try to use colors that don't make your artwork seem too bright, or else the audience will struggle to see the context.

HolyMackerel said:
Applause is definitely my favorite, but I would keep in mind that while pop art is supposed to well...pop, try to use colors that don't make your artwork seem too bright, or else the audience will struggle to see the context.

Thank you for posting! APPLAUSE is one of my favorites, too.

I'm a complicated individual; my work has no meaning, so there is nothing to see. It means whatever you want it to mean, truthfully. I've only made one that means something to me, and that one is not posted. I will try to get it up tonight.

I have added ZIGGY and LIPS to the original post.

I really love Lips. The contrast of the color is really engaging, and it was very smart to have the subtle peach background, preventing the colors from clashing to much. Do you create your works by editing photos? Painting? I'm interested.

HolyMackerel said:
I really love Lips. The contrast of the color is really engaging, and it was very smart to have the subtle peach background, preventing the colors from clashing to much. Do you create your works by editing photos? Painting? I'm interested.

Well, I find a photo, replicate it, and paint over it, giving it the silkscreen screenprint effect. They're made online, first, but I do plan on creating a few in real life, such as EYES and LIPS, using a real silkscreening process. My greatest inspiration, of course, is Warhol.

It's rather simple. First, you take a photo of choice. Then, you completely drain it of all color. After that, replicate it (I usually replicate the photo five times, to remove all of the fine details). After you've replicated it, adjust the contrast to slightly wash out the image. Then, you paint on each color, layer by layer. I have a layer for the peach, a layer for the green, and a layer for the pink colors.

EDIT: EAR, EYE, and RED have been added to the OP.

RE: Culture Shock (Update: HEELS, EAR, EYE, and RED have been added.)

Alright, please excuse my double post.

I've added HEELS, and I have removed NEON from the gallery.

Eyes is gorgeous, cotton candy pink and bright blue is my favorite color combination, and its executed in this perfectly.

And that sounds like a really interesting process, perhaps you could show it to us sometime?

HEELS looks great. The transparent lighting and the shading really make the piece. Are these digital? I think you would be able to produce some amazing things with watercolours if you are willing to learn and use them.

Thank you both! Yes, these are digital, soon to be real, though. I hate using watercolor paint; I can never get it right.

@aggie, I am thinking about creating a tutorial :)

Your work is great! My favorite is eye, I love the colors.
Keep up the great work!!!

Thank you so much!

Currently, I am working on another series that should be up sometime next week. Keep your EYES open. ;)

Dem LIPS... :0 Amazing.

Dustin, you rock. I really will keep my EYES on this. ;D

Back