Crystal's Art

Pretty cool art here. You may want to focus on the body with some of the Poke'mon to look a bit more accurate unless you are going for a stylized look.

Using a brush tool is better for lineart. The pencil tool has no anti aliasing so lines turn out very pixelated. Also, anatomy and proportions.

This is good art. My favorite is the chibi Typhlosion, but everything else is great too. I can't wait to see more!

Update: Added a few more pics! Come on people! I need some opinions about my art please!

Your "Evil Jolteon" is my favorite of all those pieces. It just looks so cool ^^

crystaltheumbreon said:
Come on people! I need some opinions about my art please!

Er... well have you found the brush tool yet? ^^ The pencil tool it no good because no AA thus suitable only for thing like sprite art.

@XieRH: I can't use the brush tool. I use Windows 7 Ms paint for my lineart because I can't find anything else to use.

crystaltheumbreon said:
@XieRH: I can't use the brush tool. I use Windows 7 Ms paint for my lineart because I can't find anything else to use.

Oh boyyy...

Er get Gimp. It's not the best, but it's miles above anything Paint can do considering it's free. Paint.net works too but I wouldn't recommend it based on my own personal experience (bad brush responsiveness, no pressure sensitivity)

@XieRH: I tried Gimp before, but it's too complicated and frustrating for me. I'll try Paint.Net though.

crystaltheumbreon said:
it's too complicated and frustrating for me

I used to say that about photoshop before I tried it. In fact I'm currently saying that about repasting my laptop (but for my laptop there is the risk of damaging a $2000 machine so...)

Most raster editors are complicated in terms of trying to grasp the full scope of their workings, but for basic illustration, all you need is to find out how to work selections, layers, blend modes, and brush controls. Assuming you already know these 4 things, learning how to draw in gimp is a breeze. Assuming you don't, you then have 4 separate learning curves ahead (which would still require you to familiarise yourself with a high level raster editor like Gimp or Photoshop initially anyway), I guess in the end it all comes down to how "worth it" you think it'll be to get your hands dirty with learning the software.

Speaking of which the newest version of Gimp just got released on the 15th, which is really recent. It has some fundamental features added, like layer groups and brush rotation. Although I doubt its tablet support has improved much >_>

...the GIMP I have is 2.6.11.2 and I downloaded it on the 5th; you mean to say there's been a new one released since then? Sweet; how do I go about updating it?

@Crystal: Most image editing software is complicated and frustrating when you first look at it, but like everything else, it's just something to get used to. You could probably spend an hour or two just getting the hang of the various special effects you can use on GIMP. (I still haven't figured out what everything does quite yet, but at the very least I know basics - and the more I learn, the more fun I'll get to have with special effects.)

As for your art I'll look in a bit and probably edit my thoughts into this post (or post a new one if someone posts after me).
Edit: never mind you mlouden, I'm editing my post anyway

I still can't grasp how someone can draw on a computer program, exactly (I've always been a fan of just pencil and paper). What I'd have to say is that your drawings aren't bad, but not exactly spectacular either. To be frank I think the evil Jolteon is the best out of the lot, although there are a few other good ones there as well (like the shiny Vaporeon - well done with the shading).

DNA said:
...the GIMP I have is 2.6.11.2 and I downloaded it on the 5th; you mean to say there's been a new one released since then? Sweet; how do I go about updating it?

Download it from the gimp website. It'll show up in the news section so it's easy to spot.

...this probably means I'll have to wait a while to get the newest version, as I don't use the regular version of GIMP; I use the portable one (so I can use it on the weekends or if my comp goes kaput).
Ah well, I'll check back every so often and see when they update it.

I haven't gotten it either. Busy with exam revision + a major artwork (with a deadline) on DA, plus it's not urgent for me since Photoshop is my main medium now. If someone has tried it and verifies that Gimp's brush rasterisation has improved to photoshop/SAI standards I'll get it instantly to try it out.

After I'm done with exams I'll be on summer break and have plenty of time to mess with it. I'm planning to structure a workflow for operating across SAI and Photshop for my future arts because Photoshop, being first and foremost an image manipulation program, is not really optimised for illustration (still get occasional brush lag)

Gimp works really well if you know what you are doing, it's basically a dumbed down version of Adobe photoshop. If I were you I'd try to do a hand drawn picture, scan it, and then work it up using gimp, you know...FLASHY! Anyway, nice start! Very simple and clean.

Back