Cradily @ Leftovers
Trait: Suction Cups
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Seed Bomb

This Cradily can come in on Hippowdon and freely start boosting. What I like about Curse Cradily is that it doesn't fear phazing moves thanks to its amazing ability Suction Cups, this way Hippowdon's best way to combat this monster is Earthquake, which Cradily can easily handle. After setting up enough with Curse and recovering with the infamous Rest + Sleep Talk combination, Seed Bomb destroys Hippowdon.

Can we think of a system that avoids the same Pokemon being used? Maybe a list or something we can copy onto our posts.

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
24 HP / 48 Def / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Roost
- Stored Power
- Charge Beam

I feel like being ridiculous. But hey, it's a counter. Cradily will eventually be forced into using Curse due to Sleep Talk or PP issues, in which case you may Psych Up a few boosts and add to your own with Charge Beam. You will then proceed to annihilate Cradily, along with the rest of the universe, with Stored Power. Obviously Cradily has no hope in touching Swoobat due to the Unaware ability.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Spe
Careful nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Waterfall
- Ancient Power

Quagsire is unaware of your unawareness :).
Also ancient power cause fun way to kill it (even though it will do the same as waterfall but whatever xD)

Also I agree with Tony, if I see one more hippowdon/blissey/shedinja I'm going to be a very sad cookie. This thread is for fun, have some FUN with your choices, and make them work at the same time. I'm pretty sure we all know blissey counters most special Pokemon, so be a little more creative.

newrule:

no

more

shedinja

ever.

Youguyscandobetterthanthat.

:)

Torterra@Choice Band
Overgrow
Adamant 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SPE

Wood Hammer
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Superpower

I'm quite sure that no Quagsire on this earth can stand up to a CB STAB 4x Super-Effective Wood Hammer. And Torterra can easily take Ancient Powers and Waterfalls all day.

Weezing
Levitate
Bold Nature 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk

Fire Blast
Sludge Bomb
Will-o-wisp
Pain Split

Since the Torterra above has no Speed EVs, this Weezing will outpace it. It will take 30-35% on the switch. It then burns then freely uses Fire Blast to cook Torterra. Hope I was creative enough.:p

alakazam@life orb
magic guard
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Substitute
~ Psychic
~ Focus Blast
~ Shadow Ball
can switch in on willow wosp and ohko.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful nature
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Sucker Punch

Being immune to both Psychic and Focus Blast Alakazam has to resort to Shadow Ball to hit Spiritomb which is a 4HKO at best. Meanwhile Spiritomb can trap Alakazam with Pursuit to ensure it being gone for the remainder of the match or simply KO it with a well placed Sucker Punch.

Also, great posts guys, I'm liking the counters you are submitting! [:

Bisharp@Lum Berry
Trait: Defiant
252hp/252atk/four speed
Adamant
-substitute
-swords dance
-sucker punch
-night slash

comes in on anything, sets up, murders. lum is to ensure you get a sub up status-free.

PMJ said:
Bisharp@Lum Berry
Trait: Defiant
252hp/252atk/four speed
Adamant
-swords dance
-sucker punch
-brick break
-night slash

comes in on anything, sets up, murders. lum is to ensure you get a sub up status-free.

Eh, not that solid, since +2 Night Slash doesn't kill Spiritomb, meaning Bisharp will always come out of this exchange with a Burn, which isn't beneficial, but I guess it would defeat Spiritomb one on one.

>implying you'd stop at +2

bisharp double resists dark and outspeeds tomb, meaning spiritomb can never burn him (and if bisharp comes in on wow and it hits, lum cures it)

And the point is to counter the pokemon, so...

also this is pretty standard bisharp except lum instead of life orb for the purposes of countering tomb... but not like lum is useless outside of that anyway.

edit woops

forgot sub, I was like what is this kid talking about

lol hold on

edit edit okay, fixed, my bad :x

Conkeldurr@Leftovers
Guts
Adamant 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SPE

Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Payback
Mach Punch

Avoid Sucker Punches with Bulk Up and tank the Night Slashes because resist and boosts. Set up all day but why would a Bisharp stay in on a Conk anyway and finish him with a Drain Punch.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EV's:252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Haze
- Rest

Cofagrigus switches in on any of Conkeldurr's moves with ease, especially now that Payback isn't doubled in power on the switch anymore. It then proceeds to burn it with Will-O-Wisp, and converts Guts into Mummy upon getting hit by Payback. Haze makes sure Conkeldurr doesn't get to +6 before going for its first Payback.

Tyranitar@expertbelt
timid,252spatk/252speed/sixhp
-darkpulse
-icebeam
-thunderbolt
-fire blast/pursuit

this tyranitar cares nothing for burns and demolishes cofagrigus with dark pulse. pursuit is only for stealing mummy. if anyone mentions chansey or blissey as a counter, you're getting a 50% warning.

actually, no mentioning skarmory or blissey ever again. they can counter nearly all attackers of their respective types (except for very few, unique cases), and it's perfectly possible (and fun) to come up with unique counters for pokemon. that's kinda the whole point of this thread.

Throh @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Att / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Overhead Throw / Vital Throw / Superpower / Brick Break / Revenge / Storm Throw / Low Sweep / Rock Smash
- Bulk Up
- Payback
- Rest

Can switch in on any of the specially orientated moves Tyranitar has to offer and then either set up or kill it with Overhead Throw / Vital Throw / Superpower / Brick Break / Revenge / Storm Throw / Low Sweep / Rock Smash.

This is my protest towards slashing moves I guess. =P

throh is very hard to kill 1v1 <<

I am trying to not use ubers, but if a specs psychic from modest espeon isn't guaranteed (it's only guaranteed if throh switches into rocks)...

actually specs psychic from darmanitan-z can do it unconditionally but payback won't activate zen mode without spikes and rocks.

are there any guidelines I am missing? throh is really resilient and is almost impossible to ohko outside of ubers. circle throw means you get one shot and I just realized why slashing moves is a bad idea.

okay. no more of that!

mewtwo@specs
timid
252spatk/252speed/4hp
-psychic
-aurasphere
-electroball
-solarbeam

take payback like a boss, slaughter. electroball for lulz, solarbeam for gastrodon. or anyone.

edit jesus forgot this was pseudo yppy but I took too long on this post to delete it (my space bar is broken, all of them you see were c/ped)

Spiritomb (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Icy Wind
after a few calm minds dark pulse kills.. will-o-wisp slowly kills it while i calm mind.icywind brings electro balls power down

Okay I'm going to lay down the law.

A Counter must be able to both switch into the Pokémon it's supposed to counter, with little to no risk to itself, and also pose an immediate threat to said Pokémon - Smogon University

That means a tyranitar is not a counter to a mewtwo, ESPECIALLY one with aura sphere.

Please, please, understand the difference between a counter and a check guys. A counter is as defined above, while a check is something that can come in and revenge kill it. (ALSO a counter doesn't need to ohko it, even with the threat of being phased out. so stop with your specs mewtwo -.-)

Now onto the more fun-related problems.
While PMJ already made a snooty post about not countering things with skarmory and blissey, with a cute little warning threat, that is absolutely not the problem, it only hits on a little bit of it. The problem is that y'all need to lighten up a bit, ESPECIALLY with the ubers. Like come on, mewtwo for throh? >.> it doesn't need to ohko it to be a counter necessarily, try thinking of a ghost type that can deal with the paybacks (*cough* anything with disable *cough*), or something else. Be creative, it's kind of the point of this, because there are plenty of counters for throh in NU that are definitely not specs mewtwo.

Note: I am most definitely not going to counter a specs mewtwo because no, but this was just my little piece of advice for everyone who wants this to actually be a cool thread.

OP has been updated with the definition of a counter. Please read it; I don't think you can miss it.

Hyper said:
Mewtwo used Aura Sphere. (Over 9000 damage)
Spiritomb is a Ghost-type, silly. :p

To counter Spiritomb, I'd use:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Justified
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt

Yeah, mono-Steel offense sucks. But this is a wonderful counter to the Spiritomb. Really doesn't care about Will-o-Wisp with a Specially Defensive set, but Substitute is kinda nice. A 4x resist to Dark Pulse is wonderful, even if it can't abuse the Justified boost. Taunt stops Spiritomb from setting up, and Flash Cannon is STAB.

Back