Could Tool Drop Return?

Carpey

Deck Experimenter
As you might know, there are some new tool cards coming out that can be attached to your opponent's Pokemon. There's also an Item that puts Pokemon from your opponent's discard onto their Bench. Lastly, an upcoming Supporter returns each players' entire Discard to the Deck.

What I'm thinking here is that in addition to having tools attached on your side to boost Trubbish's damage, you can fill your opponent's Bench and attach tools to there also. Most likely, nobody will play more than one Tool Retrieval because most people won't be playing the new tools. If some Megaphones come down, you can get your tools back with the new Supporter so all hope isn't lost. Of course, Level Ball and things like that are gone so it's going to have a harder time.

Really, I just want some other views on if Trubbish can come back, because I never had a chance to play it while it was good.

That deck could make a surprise comeback. I dont know how good it will be but the new cards coming out could make it rather easy to have a turn one tool drop. The new dimensional vally stadium. I also like the idea of using the team flare tools to boost trubbish's attacks.

Level Ball is too big a loss for Tool Drop to overcome. Even bigger is the loss of EXP Share which was the only way you attacked consistently. Plus startling megaphone and Landorus OHKOing everything in the deck doesn't make for a promising future.

But with the stadium coming out it would be alot easier to keep attack with trubbish because it would then only require a single psychic energy. The loss of Level ball does hurt but i think it could be overcomed.

Are those flare cards only allowed 1 ofs in decks or more? Because then you can have 120 damage on your opponent's board at all times with this deck. Its better with dimensional valley, but its still going to be inconsistent with no level ball. Seems ok in extended though.

As fun of an idea Tool Drop is, I can't see it returning in the forseeable future. The loss of Level Ball significantly cuts the deck's efficiency to set up quickly (though I suppose Fan Club could remedy that a bit), and so long as Starling Megaphone exists, this deck is at a serious disadvantage. Any deck whose setup can be destroyed by a single card (as opposed to just turned off by Garbodor), and said card (Megaphone) is commonly played will more than struggle in a competitive environment. While the Flare tools can help (as they can't be Megaphoned away as best as I understand them), the damage boost is miniscule comapred to the large amounts of tools that a couple of Sigilyphs could potentially lose.

In addition, Pyroar poses a problem to Tool Drop as the deck has no means of dealing with it. I can't think of a tech that this deck could run to handle Pyroar without sacrificing a lot of consistency. Beartic comes to mind, as it operates on DCE, but putting a 2-2 line in will clog up the deck and prove useless in other matchups.

I could see tooldrop becoming somewhat viable...

The team Flare tools definitely make a difference. And you can play 4 copies of each of them too, but then you're relying on having your opponent benching enough things so that your damage output is good.

Trevenant can also be used to stop Megaphone from hitting so hard, while simultaneously adding to your attack with float stone. Seismitoad is also a possibility, but I think he's a generally weaker option (there's probably a few situations where he could be better though, like hitting Landorous).

Dimensional valley also helps to compensate for the lack of EXP Share, but Lysandre's Last Resort could be the kind of thing that back fires for the deck, since your opponent would also get megaphones back, so I think blocking Megaphone is the better option.

I love this deck, it has been one of my all time favorites, however; startling megaphone is just too big of a hit to this. Even with cards like Lysandres Last Resort and Demensional Valley, this deck just will not work. Unfortunately not enough comeback with it.

It's definitely a for fun deck, but no way this has a chance to be competitive again.

EDIT: also losing level ball sucks.

One of the problems (aside from mega phone) is that the new team flare tools can only be attached to opponent's pokemon EX. Even though EXes define the current metagame right now, there's always a chance an opponent is playing something like Empoleon that doesn't use EXes. I don't think tool drop is going to be very good, BUT for the dimensional valley deck that takes advantage of cheap costs, I could see a couple of lone trubbish being good. There will be times when both players will have a lot of tools on the field and Trubbish will be able to hit for lots of damage.

As a main strategy, no I don't think Trubbish is good, but as a situational attacker, hell yeah.

Startling Microphone destroys it.

Oh you got set up. Startling megaphone start over.

Mr.Muffin said:
Startling Microphone destroys it.

Oh you got set up. Startling megaphone start over.

I know of another thing that destroys tool drop:

Oh? You have EXes w/ Team Flare's Hyper Gear tools attached?

Oh? You used Xerosic?

Uh oh! Now I have to start over and find more Hyper Gear tools to attach to those EXes! :p

Back