Concern with the Direction of the Game Thus Far (Again...)

Going first this format doesn't even compare to going first last format. In a lot of matchups it was better to go first last format. It was incredibly balanced last format. This format however, there is absolutely no drawback to going first. As far as Yanmega goes, it only won Juniors, and the deck was obviously not based around it. It is not by any means an overpowered card.

Card Slinger J said:
Scizorliscious said:
The Pokémon themselves are still increasing in power. The support we have behind them has gone down, though. If you take anything MD-BW, it is better than MD-HS. Of course this is the case (how could it get worse?), but the decks getting worse isn't a result of worse cards, it's a result of the major staples from MD-on getting rotated out and not replaced.

What staples from MD-On (last format) are you referring to that didn't get replaced?
Azelf LA was supposed to get replaced by Rotom UD or Alph 4, Uxie LA was replaced by
Draw Supporters and Magnezone Prime, Bebe's Search was (sort of) replaced by Elm's Training Method and Pokemon Communication, Roseanne's Research got replaced by Pokemon Collector (sort of), yet Call Energy didn't get reprinted unfortunately and neither did Warp Point. What am I missing here?

Are you serious? Azelf LA was replaced by Alph 4 and Rotom? Please. EVERYONE played Azelf, NO ONE plays Alph+Rotom. Alph isn't even searchable, and that takes up 2 spots in your deck. Uxie LA has NO replacement– we already had fine Draw Supporters, and honestly, we don't need to waste our Supporter for the turn on drawing 3 cards. Magnezone Prime? A Stage 2? Doesn't replace Uxie in any way. Bebe's Search was loads better than Elm's and Pokémon Communication. Loads. You got to both lower your hand size and get any Pokémon without having to have a Pokémon in-hand. Roseanne's Research is far superior to Collector (now we have to run much higher counts of energy), and anyways, Collector was played alongside Roseanne's, not as a replacement. And as Vulpix Yolk mentioned, Luxury Ball, Poké Drawer +, Pokedex HANDY, Expert Belt, BTS, and Vs. Seeker (as well as a more effective Rare Candy) have all been taken away.

Azelf clearly was not replaced because any card you're relying on - even techs is run in more than 1 copy. 1-1 Zoroark? Forget it. You have to go 2-2 now.

Uxie clearly was not replaced because now we're running around 10 draw supporters in every deck. However, Uxie was a Claydol replacement and Claydol hasn't ever been replaced either. Basically we had amazing search/draw until the MD-on format and it's gotten worse since then.

We are very lacking in Pokemon search and draw power in general right now. I wish I could say I think it will get better, but imagine if they shifted to a BW-on format right now. All we would have is Communication, Juniper and Cheren (and I suppose Bianca). None of the abilities give any form of search or draw compared to past formats; even this format is better with Twins, Oak, Magnezone and Collector - heck we don't even have a Cleffa replacement now and Cleffa is a bad card. I can't speak for future sets so I'm not going to freak out yet, it's just something I've noticed.

I like how the game has finally slowed down and SPs aren't getting full set-up T1. Personally, I think they should've banned SP Pokemon and let the rotation go on as normal. I have only one thing to say that will solve any problem you have with the state of the game. Down. With. Meta. Go rogue. It's that simple.:p

Once again SP's were not a problem at all, and they weren't the reason that they did a mid-season rotation.

@Pokeplayer44, SP wasn't a huge problem, the main problem was donks. And what some people are citing as a reason this format is bad is that it's hard to make a good rogue deck (not true- look at Worlds- but still what people are saying).

Scizorliscious said:
@Pokeplayer44, SP wasn't a huge problem, the main problem was donks. And what some people are citing as a reason this format is bad is that it's hard to make a good rogue deck (not true- look at Worlds- but still what people are saying).

MD-CoL was pretty playable but donky but when BW and those dumb rules came out, things started to go downhill.

Sableye was what made it go bad.

HGSS-on is a fine format, just change the going first rule back and it's fine.

Scizorliscious said:
Are you serious? Azelf LA was replaced by Alph 4 and Rotom? Please. EVERYONE played Azelf, NO ONE plays Alph+Rotom. Alph isn't even searchable, and that takes up 2 spots in your deck. Uxie LA has NO replacement– we already had fine Draw Supporters, and honestly, we don't need to waste our Supporter for the turn on drawing 3 cards. Magnezone Prime? A Stage 2? Doesn't replace Uxie in any way. Bebe's Search was loads better than Elm's and Pokémon Communication. Loads. You got to both lower your hand size and get any Pokémon without having to have a Pokémon in-hand. Roseanne's Research is far superior to Collector (now we have to run much higher counts of energy), and anyways, Collector was played alongside Roseanne's, not as a replacement. And as Vulpix Yolk mentioned, Luxury Ball, Poké Drawer +, Pokedex HANDY, Expert Belt, BTS, and Vs. Seeker (as well as a more effective Rare Candy) have all been taken away.

Reading is tech, you forgot to read my response to that... -___-

V

Card Slinger J said:
Granted they weren't the best replacement cards by any means but it's what the current card pool in Modified has to offer whether we like it or not. I wasn't trying to offend anybody so don't take it the wrong way. BTS was amazingly good and I doubt there will ever be a replacement for it unless we get lucky again. Azelf is better than Rotom/Alph 4 however the risks with Rotom/Alph 4 seemed to outweigh it's playability. As for Magnezone Prime being a replacement for Uxie it goes both ways, you either run Draw Supporter Engines (PONT, Copycat, Judge, etc.) or you run Magnezone/Ninetales your pick, both If you're running Yanmega with Magnezone.

I've online just started playing TCG (online) and it seems okay but rather complicated. I don't think it will be something I'll be obsessed with, I'll just play it half-heartedly every now and again. I prefer collecting the cards.

ComaCalm said:
I've online just started playing TCG (online) and it seems okay but rather complicated. I don't think it will be something I'll be obsessed with, I'll just play it half-heartedly every now and again. I prefer collecting the cards.
Well, DP-on was a much more complicated format considering all of the possible draw/search cards available. Go figure.

hm, came into this thread rather late but...

I noticed the huge power creep in B/W when I first saw Samurott, the one with the ability.
Ontop of this, while playing unlimited format, my Garchomp deck seems to have lost it's capability to wipe things out fast enough. Let alone, being crippled by Rare Candy; making me unable to donk the competitive decks quickly. Though I don't mind the 100HP basics as they usually apply to non-evolving ones. I have been able to beat Lost World decks with a pure B/W deck, aswell as have a good chance at fighting Yanmega.

You still play Unlimited? Have fun losing against Porydonk and some of the other broken decks in that unsanctioned format. If PUSA decides to give the Pokemon TCG a Type 1 format like Magic it needs to ban specific cards and balance the format out somehow.

Just how is the game going. We just had our Fall Battle roads and 84 players were entered. We had both donks and time limit matches.Seemed to be working as most had a fun filled day.

Corvallis Oregon hosted at the Elks lodge

papamcjr said:
Just how is the game going. We just had our Fall Battle roads and 84 players were entered. We had both donks and time limit matches.Seemed to be working as most had a fun filled day.

Corvallis Oregon hosted at the Elks lodge

The most wins one deck has accumulated so far was 23 which was from ZPS rather than the 40 Luxchomp had from last year as well.

Card Slinger J said:
You still play Unlimited? Have fun losing against Porydonk and some of the other broken decks in that unsanctioned format. If PUSA decides to give the Pokemon TCG a Type 1 format like Magic it needs to ban specific cards and balance the format out somehow.

everyone who runs an unlimited deck in my league isn't an overly competitive jerk. So there's virtually no donk decks at all and just fun decks.

Unlimited is about having fun more imo, not winning. Which should be the outlook for a lot of Pokemon players. This game doesn't need to turn into an unfriendly environment.

GraveTheUndead said:
everyone who runs an unlimited deck in my league isn't an overly competitive jerk. So there's virtually no donk decks at all and just fun decks.
As someone who plays PoryDonk, I resent that. So long as you don't play it when people don't want you to, you're perfectly fine.

GraveTheUndead said:
Unlimited is about having fun more imo, not winning.
Winning is fun.

GraveTheUndead said:
This game doesn't need to turn into an unfriendly environment.
Since when has winning been unfriendly?

Scizorliscious said:
Winning is fun.
I'm pretty sure the point here is that Unlimited is more of having fun with the possible combinations you can play. Sure, it's nice to win, but once you proved that you can OTK with a PoryDonk, it's time to move on to see what else you can make. This is why Unlimited tends to be more "friendly"; you don't have to compete with top tiered decks.

Scizorliscious said:
As someone who plays PoryDonk, I resent that. So long as you don't play it when people don't want you to, you're perfectly fine.

Winning is fun.

Since when has winning been unfriendly?

As Zyflair said above me, that wasn't the point of what I was saying. I'm saying that unlimited seems to have a friendlier player-base, and isn't as competitive.
People can take what I say as offensive if you want, but I'm saying you don't need to go competitive and use a deck everyone else is using. Sure winning is fun, but when you achieve something on your own. Using a deck that you just tweaked from an online list shows how un-creative you would be. The same can be said with people who are constantly EV training, looking for natures, and only using top-tier Pokemon. What sense of fun do you get from being a complete tool, Jumping on the bandwagon, doing what everyone else does, and being just another sheep in the herd? I say if you REALLY want a challenge or have fun, dye that wool multicolour like a tie-dye shirt and do something for the sake of your own interests. Being a sheep just ruins the game for you, and others. If ya like being a sheep, have fun not getting all the fun out of Pokemon. If you feel like doing something for fun but let the competitive atmosphere stop ya, then kick yourself and say "I'm not a sheep" and go for it.

Originality is hard to come by these days with the popularity of the Internet, however that's not to say it's impossible to build a Rogue deck and take everyone by surprise If you have a way of keeping the deck secret and whatnot. Rogue is still possible.

Card Slinger J said:
Originality is hard to come by these days with the popularity of the Internet, however that's not to say it's impossible to build a Rogue deck and take everyone by surprise If you have a way of keeping the deck secret and whatnot. Rogue is still possible.

Well yes, this part I know. :) Rogue is the fun part.

Back