Competitive Battling Discussion Of The Week 15

Why would you run Brick Break? +2 Earthquake decimates Ferrothorn, Heatran and Magnezone scream like a sissy if you break his balloon, and you need a Jolly nature to outspeed Excadrill, making you lose to your counters even more. I honestly don't see the point in this ...

Wanting to keep Excadrill just because you don't want to see more rain is selfish. We still have Landorus and Terrakion for sand, so it's not like sand is completley dead.

I had more problems with Excadrill than I did Thundurus. I can understand why people wanted them gone, though.

Glad to see the others got saved. Now I can team build again.

Nobody running Rapid Spin on Exca would be a dream come true.

But sadly, i'm not dreaming.

*le sigh

I haven't had trouble with either of them in over 2 months...and now I have to change my own team :[

ShadowLugia said:
* ShadowLugia is going to enjoy this

So, here we are. Thundurus and Excadrill got banned, possibly the most two powerful sweepers in the Over Used tier. Rain and Sand lost their most valuable offensive Pokes, although sand arguably got hit the hardest, since Excadrill can't function in other weather. I'm pretty sure that nobody here has any qualms with Thundurus getting banned. Being able to take down more that half of your opponent's team, along with the criteria stated above, is more than enough reasons to send his sorry cloud-thingy to ubers. Excadrill is the controversial ban here, ladies and gentlemen. As soon as Exca was released, teams were already trying to find ways to counter the guy, and thus, Pokemon like Gliscor, Bronzong, and Skarm were hastily added to teams in an effort to stop it, turning the meta into a more defensively-paced one, at least when it came to countering weather. Rain stall was one of the machinations created in an effort to stop it. Now, any smart player will know that Excadrill was bad for the metagame. You had to run the defensive walls mentioned above, or sand was going to wreck you. Simple as that. It's debatable as to whether being bad for the meta is a reasonable ground to banish a Pokemon to Ubers (where Excadrill is going to do bad anyways, not that that should be took into consideration when banning a Pokemon anyways), but the meta was shifting around these Pokemon, for sure. For example, Gastrodon. A Pokemon that had never seen any competitive play whatsoever now began rising through usage stats like it was nothing, all in a effort to counter one, single, Pokemon. Now that I've thought about it, both bans were reasonable. I really don't want to play a game where if you use just 1 out of 2 things on a team, and not even using skill, you can still win. I think we'll be seeing much more varied teams now, and hey, maybe even some new creative sets. Excadrill and Thundurus centralized the metagame, and if you can't realize that, you really should be spending more time around here and not on the smogon server. ;) In summation, if banning either of these guys creates a funner game to play, then I am all for it. Now I'm sure there are some holes in my argument, because you guys know I'm not good at making these ridiculously long posts. But this is my opinion on the matter, and I don't think it's really going to change, although I'd love to listen on the input on what I've had to say. And LOL to Volcarona, Deoxys, Mence, Dnite, or Latios centralizing the meta. That's just laughable. :p
Welp, that's all I have to say. Thanks for reading this giant wall of text.

10514819.jpg

If you're going to bold a word, make sure it's a real one I can't say I agree that getting rid of Excadrill will make the metagame more fun, as pretty soon every other team will be a rain team. But, I suppose it's all in good fun because I feel rain's more broken than Excadrill, and the huge spike in rain should hopefully get it banned, too.
Thanks, TDL, for making things more clear with your recent post. I now support Excadrill's banning.

^Quote the ENTIRE post FTW
I've been playing around on PO a bit, and Landorus and Terrakion are reeeeeaaaalllly starting to rise in usage, at least from what I've seen. Choiced versions are the most common.

Good bye Thunder bro. And good riddance. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Excadrill needed to go. bacon can explain it better than I can, but the only Counters for Excadrill are Bulky Wash Rotom, Skarmory (which can't touch it if it's 1 on 1), Bronzong, and Gliscor. Since Excadrill saw play, I saw HP Ice on the most random crap ever. Anything from Jirachi to Landorus to even Terrakion. Since when does Terrakion run HP Ice just to set up an Excadrill sweep? You had to over-prepare for anything at all on your opponent's team that could run HP Ice just to take out your Gliscor, not just for Excadrill. Not to mention that Excadrill ruins any idea of a Hyper OFfense team. HO teams are supposed to outspeed and hit hard, overpowering your opponent's team. Nothing save for Scarf Deoxys can outspeed Excadrill, so your HO Team wouldn't get a chance to do anything before getting swept. When 1 Pokémon kills an entire playstyle, and forces you to over-prepare just for it's teammates, it's time to get booted to ubers.

Back