Ruling Coin flips vs. dice rolls

God7Fish

Aspiring Trainer
Now I've noticed for some reason people like to use dice during the game, even the new elite trainers box comes with dice. But the cards clearly state "flip a coin" for different purposes. I was wondering if during a tournament if my opponent is required to flip a coin of any reason and he or she chooses to roll a dice...can I insist that they flip a coin? If so do I have to say that before the game starts or each time a coin needs to be flipped?

Now your probably going to ask me why I think there is a difference between rolling a dice and flipping a coin, the probability is that same. Well I've come to notice that most people are really bad at flipping coins and that most likely where the dice thing came from. So I figure I would try and get every advantage I can.

Dice may be used as randomizers, provided they meet the following criteria:

~It's 6 sided, translucent or transparent, with rounded corners (and opposite sides have to add up to 7 as always).
~All the sides need to be labeled with pips, not the numbers 1-6. A logo may replace either the 1 or the 6. Edit: Hold on. I messed up; the dice can use numbers instead of pips, but they still have to be aligned in the usual way a 6-sided die would.
~Even numbers are treated as heads. Odd numbers are treated as tails.
~They need to look noticeably different than any dice being used as damage counters or poison/burn markers.

There is a huge difference between rolling a die and flipping a coin. Coins are more likely to fall off the table and to damage cards.

I was wondering if during a tournament if my opponent is required to flip a coin of any reason and he or she chooses to roll a dice...can I insist that they flip a coin?
If the person is using a legal randomizer, die or otherwise...no you may not. If there's doubt to the legality of a randomizer, the head judge has the final say. You may call a judge over and ask if a randomizer is legal, but do that repeatedly and they're going to get extremely annoyed with you.

Back