Ruling Claydol GE

Suraako

Elemental Master
15-claydol.jpg

I know there have been cases when "up to # cards" includes 0, and others that say it excludes 0. It seems as though Claydol's Power needs you to send at least one card to the bottom of your deck, but I think "up to" should mean you don't have to choose one at all.

Chairman Kaga

ALLEZ CUISINE
You can think whatever you want :) But "up to" in Pokemon does not include zero. You must put at least one card on the bottom of your deck to activate Claydol's power.

Khalddrogo

Aspiring Trainer
ok if the card doesn't read you have to discard a card , can't you do it "up to" can mean zero because it's lower than 2 .

Chairman Kaga

ALLEZ CUISINE
umbreondude said:
ok if the card doesn't read you have to discard a card , can't you do it "up to" can mean zero because it's lower than 2 .

It's a general rule of the game. "Up to" does not include zero.

Neither does "all". If an attack says you must discard "all" of some type of energy, there must be at least one of that type attached, or the attack fails.

This isn't up for debate. These are the rules as handed down from PCL in Japan.

kravenace

Cynthia is <3
He's correct, Up to does not include zero.

It is basic grammar and arithmetic rules in math.

ugly psyduck

Aspiring Trainer
For what it's worth, the two important words from a Pokemon rules sense are "up to". As has been indicated in the thread "up to" does not include 0. This has been set in a number of rulings precedence. The other key words are "if you do". This links the effects of the second sentence with the first. If you don't discard any cards then you can achieve the effect of drawing until you have six cards in your hand.

I think I understand where the confusion that "up to" might include 0. It comes from deck searches (and other events) where one can fail the search, because your opponent has no recourse to check whether you failed on purpose (another tennant supported by rulings precedents in the game).

Ophie

Aspiring Trainer
So does that means you can't use Cosmic Power if you don't have any cards in your hand?